User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77]
Do any of you arfcommers still have a TL-122 (with whatever letter) flashlight,
particularly a 1970's era?  

It's nostalgia for me, as I was about 3 to 5 years old ('75-'77).

Wasn't there a battery extension you could screw on the bottom,
or am I "misremembering?"

Obligatory photo:

Edit - I recall it hurt if you got hit by one... D cell batteries,  I think.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m no help but I went into every surplus store I could as a kid. I would love an LED repro with modern tech.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one on the right as a kid, it had different colored lenses that could be put in, dad always had lots of military surplus stuff.  haven't thought of that light in 35 years, good memory.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
In the 80’s, we were issued the one on the right. Big, weak, and the bulbs burned out always at the wrong time.

We all bought mini mags which had just come out, duct taped an Alice clip on them, and hung them on our lbe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Fwiw, they do make LED repo of these old units.  

For some unknown reason, 50 Lumen.

I bet you could move the part over

Amazon Product
  • DISCLAIMER: The all-metal construction of this vintage style flashlight is on the thinner side to cut down on weight but, once you insert the 2 \u201cD\u201d cell batteries into it, the body will be more rigid.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 87GMC4X4:
I’m no help but I went into every surplus store I could as a kid. I would love an LED repro with modern tech.
View Quote

Fulton Moonbeam LED conversion.

$19.99 led conversion for angle head flashlight
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They're the only way to pull left and right security back in!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of the yellow/black ones.
They say something about mining inspection or some such.
Have the different colored lens too.
I put LED bulbs in them and while not super bright they are brighter than the originals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one I got at a surplus store as a kid. Recently got an LED conversion but they're severely limited in what emitters you can use because of the plastic bulb retainer. It would be a good project for someone with a cnc to crank out some aluminum or brass screws so one could up the lumens safely.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
We had those when I was in.  2 D cell, never saw an extension.  Ours did have some filters in the battery cap.
Good gad they were big enough as was.
Weak but reliable.  Man we have come far, I’m actually looking for a mini version for hunting.  There are a few.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Moonbeam!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
All the one's I was issued fell apart. Regular ol' Maglite did what it needed to do.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My early 1980's model worked a few years back when i put batteries in it. Sad such low light output.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Pieces. Of. Shit.  All I can say about them.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I got issued that one on the far right. Huge pieces of junk.

We were told to get the headlamps with IR/Red lense capabilities at the PX/Clothing Sales. Much better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the version on the right…24 years later, it still works on D-cell batteries.  I have all four of the filters in the base.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have several laying around.  One has a LED bulb I bought at Walmart. I keep it around for run time with the D cells in an emergency.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#17]
I forgot I had one OP. Never knew those smaller ones existed. Thanks for the memories!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I had one as a kid and I took it everywhere with me.  Thought it was sooooo cool.

Not knowing that, my son found one in Tractor Supply a few months ago that is a new production with high output LED and now he carries it everywhere.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a plastic version issued to us in Marine Boot camp in the mid 2000s

Remember them being very fragile. Either cracking for just randomly stopped working.

Like an old tv set where you wack the side to get it to start working again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fixitmann:
I have a couple of the yellow/black ones.
They say something about mining inspection or some such.
Have the different colored lens too.
I put LED bulbs in them and while not super bright they are brighter than the originals.
View Quote
Probably a MX-992/U, certified for explosive/flammable environments.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
A few companies make modern version right angle lights.

Streamlight

Fenix

And there's a few others of brands I've never heard of. But I wouldn't mind having an original; maybe from the Vietnam era. It'd be nice to have with my dad's footlocker.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#22]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Had a plastic version issued to us in Marine Boot camp in the mid 2000s

Remember them being very fragile. Either cracking for just randomly stopped working.

Like an old tv set where you wack the side to get it to start working again.
View Quote

Smacking the side to get them to work was the norm for us in the Army, too. Those lights are junk.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#23]
We were issued the one on the right like so many others have said. I to agree that they were junk. The grey ones the Navy had were much better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-aluminum-vintage-military-style-flashlight
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Fox:
Pieces. Of. Shit.  All I can say about them.

View Quote
Slightly better than a candle
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#26]
I still have a couple. I also have the mini version. I bought them for the kids and hid my mag lights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rogue7] [#27]
Tractor Supply makes a decent cast metal knock-off, it's pretty bright but takes one of those annoying AA battery packs.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-aluminum-vintage-military-style-flashlight

EDIT: Beat several times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Never has the military angle head. But I remember the  crappy low output flashlights I has in the 70s. I thought. I had the real deal when I got maglights. Today's 18650 flashlights are light years ahead.  I wonder what we'll have in 20 more years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Had one as a kid, maybe not mil
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thunderw21] [#30]
I restored an original WW2 TL-122A several years ago. Man, they're dim.    

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

Streamlight
View Quote
That ProTac 90X is a nice light, bought one last year and it's getting a lot of use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By thunderw21:
I restored an original WW2 TL-122A several years ago. Man, they're dim.    

https://i.imgur.com/267IPOQ.jpeg
View Quote

So am I.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Not military but I have my dad's flashlight when he worked for Bell Systems.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Yup, had the same, thank you for posting. Now I have a Streamlight which actually lights up the area.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#36]
We had the plastic ones when I enlisted in the mid 90s. Always had them hanging off our lbe and lbv and had to use red lenses. Hell in sfas land nav we had to use Pancho to cover us for light discipline.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank762] [#37]
In the early 90s we used small "maglite" type flashlights that took 2 AA batteries. Lighter, brighter, lasted longer, and took up a fraction of the space. They sold them on base with the same colored lenses and a camo pouch/sheath.

I still have my issue light though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Frank762:
In the early 90s we used small "maglite" type flashlights that took 2 AA batteries. Lighter, brighter, lasted longer, and took up a fraction of the space. They sold them on base with the same colored lenses and a camo pouch/sheath.
View Quote

We had the maglite as well, but you couldn't hang the maglite off your lbe. Not sure wtf division had us have the plastic ones. Once I passed sfas and the q I never used them again. I had surefire lights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Snallygaster:
In the 80’s, we were issued the one on the right. Big, weak, and the bulbs burned out always at the wrong time.

We all bought mini mags which had just come out, duct taped an Alice clip on them, and hung them on our lbe.
View Quote

About right. Those angle lights might work to keep spacing on a road march but those dim-assed lights weren't much good for lighting anything. Most of us either had those shiny steel Eveready lights or the before-maglite Kel Lite. Solid aircraft-grade Al-U-minium, four D cells was bright enough to light up anything or puts the lights out on bar fighters, LOL. (I was an MP)
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Rogue7:
That ProTac 90X is a nice light, bought one last year and it's getting a lot of use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:

Streamlight

I've had a 90X for a few years now, and it is probably the handiest flashlight that I own.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Tractor Supply makes a decent cast metal knock-off, it's pretty bright but takes one of those annoying AA battery packs.

EDIT: Beat several times.
View Quote

My kid has one of those. It's all metal and weighs a ton. Super bright though.

Even though we were supposed to have those angle lights for guard mount, we weren't issued them; had to buy them on our own. In the field, I just left it in the dufflebag and used a AA Maglite.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Also had the one on the right and probably have one or two stashed in some boxes in the shed.  Compared to the lights of today, they are pretty dim.  But back in the 80's and you were out in the field with no lights around anywhere, those angle head lights looked like a searchlight when they were turned on.  Then you would hear some NCO nearby, "Turn off that goddamn light!"
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I may still have one of the ones on the far right
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Almost $30

https://fultonindoh.com/products/n476230-00-264-8261/

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
We had those when I was in.  2 D cell, never saw an extension.  Ours did have some filters in the battery cap.
Good gad they were big enough as was.
Weak but reliable.  Man we have come far, I’m actually looking for a mini version for hunting.  There are a few.
View Quote

Highly recommend the countycom.com model, been using one for 4 years now and its just about indestructible. the moonlight setting is great in a hunting blind.

La police gear makes a good one but i haven't seen it in stock lately. the
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty much used maglights if I remember correctly.

Plastic moonbeams remind me of those plastic shitty flashlights you'd get at Kmart with those black cat batteries that would just stop working all a sudden.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tommyg52:
Had one on the right as a kid, it had different colored lenses that could be put in, dad always had lots of military surplus stuff.  haven't thought of that light in 35 years, good memory.
View Quote
Yep, My dad had them from the National Guard. I forgot about the colored lenses. This was early to mid 80s
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Mandatory on our battle rattle in the early 80's...they sucked.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I still have two like the one on the right. Carried one when I was in the USMC 79-83, just like everyone else. Never had a problem with them. Back in the day, they were the shizzle. Not so compared to today’s flashlights. But, pretty sure you can always find D batteries during the apocalypse. Not so sure about the batteries for today’s lights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top