Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2024 8:16:39 PM EDT

So I went stupid over the S series. I’ve had an S621 for several years but recently picked up an old S470 in a trade. Well I just had to have another so I bought an S670 and an S770. The S670 showed up today. Dragon eye burst with a quilt top.

So I haven’t done much with it yet because it was delivered while it was 13°f so I had to let it slowly warm up. So far I’ve only played it unplugged. It has Quantum pickups and an Edge II tremolo.

At this point I’m not absolutely in love with the top. It looks quite dead in low light and from certain angles, but it is cool looking too when you can see all of the figuring. But we don’t buy guitars because of the looks, we buy them for the sound.

The neck is maple, fretboard is rosewood, and the body is meranti. Unplugged it sounds dull. Remember that I still have to do a full setup on it, but it’s rather dull compared to my two mahogany body S series guitars.

The Edge II trem is pretty nice. I got it tuned up rather fast and so far is pretty stable however, it did just come out of 4 days of shipping in the cold and still needs to be set up better.

Here is a couple pictures of it as best as I can do for now. I’ll drag out some lighting later on and take proper pics and report back on how it sounds amped up. All in all I’m happy with it so far. Not overjoyed but happy enough.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok so far plugged in it actually doesn’t sound bad at all. I played it against an S series with a Dimebucker in it and it can hold its own.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Here’s a preview on the S770 I’m waiting on. Pics from Reverb.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Butternut:
OP, those look sweet IMO. Congratulations.

I've been an Ibanez fanboi for a long, long time. IMHO their necks are some of the very best. I know that's a super subjective thing, but I've always loved them, and honestly can't ever remember playing a one that didn't have a great vibe and feel right.  
View Quote

Thanks! I had an RG years ago and wasn’t a huge fan of it but it was and older cheaper one. Then I got the S621 back in 2016 or so and absolutely loved it but have been chasing Gibson and Fender guitars pretty steadily. I just finally decided to get some shredding guitars.

The S621 is a hard tail but the S470 I traded for last week has the Lo-TRS II trem on it which isn’t the best. This new one I just received has an Edge Zero II and it’s pretty nice however, the one I’m waiting on has the ZR trem and adjustment wheel in the back and I’m pretty excited for that one. Supposedly it’s super stable for an “FR” style trem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
S series are great guitars.  I wish they would do a neck through and had more options with the reverse headstock.

Here's a shitty pic of my old S-1520FB
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
That's got some beautiful woodgrain.  Very nice!  I'm a natural finish guitar fan.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By callmestick:
S series are great guitars.  I wish they would do a neck through and had more options with the reverse headstock.

Here's a shitty pic of my old S-1520FB
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218698/100_0317_JPG-3095373.jpg
View Quote

Oh I like that!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice! I've always liked the look of the S series.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DM1975:
At this point I’m not absolutely in love with the top. It looks quite dead in low light and from certain angles, but it is cool looking too when you can see all of the figuring.
View Quote

My Schecter SLS elite is similar - amazing from certain angles and virtually dead from others. Such is the nature of maple figuring, for better or worse.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been meaning to get an S.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
I have been meaning to get an S.
https://i.imgflip.com/8k8ar5.jpg
View Quote

Yes! Yes you should!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top