Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 11:04:49 AM EDT
Got a new Kona Cindercone shipped direct to the house. First new bike in about 20 years for me. Have it assembled and getting ready for first spin around neighborhood when weather permits. Any recs for chain lube? It's totally dry. Have a good stable of firearms lubes and not really looking to drop $25 on Silca Synergetic.

Also, post assembly I have a couple extra pins in a small bag. They look like detent pins. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:26:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#2]
What kind of conditions do you ride in?

I like Muc Off Wet as I like to ride in the rain.

Get a nice wax based solution if youre looking for longevity in the dry.

Honestly it's not rocket science. Even 3 in 1 oil will protect it. Some just attract grime faster than others. How much you ride, and the conditions in which you ride, as well as maintenance preferences will dictate which lube to get.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Triflo works good for me.  Lube each link. Wipe off excess.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Honestly it's not rocket science. Even 3 in 1 oil will protect it. Some just attract grime faster than others. How much you ride, and the conditions in which you ride, as well as maintenance preferences will dictate which lube to get.
View Quote

Mostly dry conditions, very casual rider. Do not anticipate using wax.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask 10 cyclists about chain lube and you get 20 different answers. I've done wax, WD-40, Pedro's, DuPont teflon, White Lightning, and others. My current "lube du jour" is Boeshield because I ride in some muck and wet conditions.

Bike chain lube is similar to toothpaste in that it's not so important what brand toothpaste you use, it's important to brush your teeth.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock n Roll blue works well in almost all conditions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#7]
I probably don't clean/lube my chain enough, but my riding is mostly pavement and not that many miles per year (I've failed the 1000 mile challenge every year I've tried it).  

I did just buy my first new bike since 2007, so I asked Santa for one of those chain cleaning devices, so I plan to be a bit more diligent on maintenance.

I use this stuff and after several years, I still have half a bottle left.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

View Quote

I use the blue most often.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
I probably don't clean/lube my chain enough, but my riding is mostly pavement and not that many miles per year (I've failed the 1000 mile challenge every year I've tried it).  

I did just buy my first new bike since 2007, so I asked Santa for one of those chain cleaning devices, so I plan to be a bit more diligent on maintenance.

I use this stuff and after several years, I still have half a bottle left.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/lube_jpg-3089064.JPG
View Quote

If you don't ride in wet conditions the dry version will help prevent dirt pickup. It's a tradeoff though as in the wet it will wash off a lot easier.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

Muc Off for me as well, wet and dry. Don't get them backwards, the wet gets really tacky in the dry, the dry washes off fast in the wet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

View Quote

I've been using the gold.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Ask 10 cyclists about chain lube and you get 20 different answers. I've done wax, WD-40, Pedro's, DuPont teflon, White Lightning, and others. My current "lube du jour" is Boeshield because I ride in some muck and wet conditions.

Bike chain lube is similar to toothpaste in that it's not so important what brand toothpaste you use, it's important to brush your teeth.
View Quote

Troof

I like waxing.

I keep two chains for each bike. I wax em using the hot tub method.  Condition depends but usually 300 or so miles between waxing.  So quiet everyone else's bike starts to bother me

Wax and super wet/muddy did not work, but dry/dusty its ideal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Pro Bike Mechanic's 10 Most Hated Products

A strike against Mucoff chain lube 6 mins into this video
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

This is the correct answer. All claim to be the best blah blah blah. Boeshield T-9 is my preferred chain lube if I happen to have a bottle with me. I’d say if you were to do a test on my chain you’d find 50% Boeshield, 25% Rock n Roll Gold, 10% Marvel Mystery Oil, 10% Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-30, and 5% of who knows what else
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I used WD-40 for a season. I would spray and wipe down the chain and cassette after every ride. Fellow riders noticed and asked why was my drivetrain always so clean?
The chain did start to squeak at the ends of centuries. I got around 4,000 miles with 6 centuries on that chain which was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tri-Flow worked well for me, and a quick wipe down after applying. Also, a regular cleaning with a wire brush is a big help if you really get into the dirt..  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I used WD-40 for a season. I would spray and wipe down the chain and cassette after every ride. Fellow riders noticed and asked why was my drivetrain always so clean?
The chain did start to squeak at the ends of centuries. I got around 4,000 miles with 6 centuries on that chain which was pretty good.
View Quote

I prefer to use a actual lubricant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Silca Super secret chain lube...or their wax

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Amazon Product
  • LONG-LASTING BIKE LUBE: With the Squirt lube chain wax, a little goes a long way in cleaning lumped dirt & grime in bike chains. Our bicycle chain lube dries to a wax microfilm that repels water, dirt & mud, prolonging the life of chains.

This is what I use on a road bike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top