Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 11:12:47 PM EDT
Hello AR15! I am 21 years old and just obtained my CDL. No endorsements yet. I'm in the central Florida area, I've got a potential job with Swift and Schneider. If those don't work out, I'm reaching out for advice on how to approach this new career. Where should I go to get initial experience? Please feel free to shine light on things I should look out for or be aware of in this industry. All input is extremely appreciated.

Thank you for your insight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Be careful and wary of any advice you get on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You may wish to go talk to a headhunter. They seem to know everyone in the field in which your applying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:05:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fourstar:
Be careful and wary of any advice you get on AR15.com.
View Quote

There are some subject matter experts that have weighed in and given great advice.   I would, perhaps arrogantly, also place myself in that category.    

If he shoots me a PM, I’d do whatever I could to help him find the right job based on his goals.  
@Seabee_Mech

@Brawndo
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Why didn't you get your endorsements when you got your CDL?

What do you want to do?? Have an SO? Kids? Dog?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Late in life, I got mine. Only drove for 2 companies.My 1st was with Roehl (family name pronounced "Rail").
   I got my cdl on my own, so zero driving experience. That being the case, they put me through their "get your cdl" program. And then a month with a driver/trainer. This gave me some much needed hands-on that I needed.
   After that, there was a contract amount of driving I had to do. Before it was over, I had taken more than I could stand and was ready to reach through the phone a bitch-slap somebody who desperately needed it! Not Roehl's fault, that's just truck driving. Their set-up is for new drivers and that's what I needef, and I assume you too.        And that will wear on a person. But, you gotta get that initial experience.
   They say your cdl is a golden ticket. It is as long as you keep it clean. After 4 years, mine still is unmarked by any infractions. I sit at home retired, I may get back on the road some day, but that may be a slim chance.
  Do right, stay clean, keep your cb turned on (until you get tired of hearing everybody else cussin' you out), and when an older guy calls you out on some dumbass thing you just did, remember that "yes sir and thank you" will do you more good than what you really want to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top