Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2022 7:48:10 PM EDT
Down to my last pack of Gillette 5 O'Clock Sharp blades.  They think my masculinity is toxic, so looking to buy a new sample pack from Maggard's to find my next go-to.  What's everybody's favorite non woke safety razor blades?  Using a Merkur 34C and usually just use Maggard's store brand soaps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Voshkod works great for me, as do Astra Platinum. 'Not sure if those are woke or not...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Feather is my go-to. Or Derby.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nacet and Vokshod are the best I've tried recently.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Astra
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure if they're woke but I used Personna b/c they're USA and I liked them better than feathers.  I bought a lifetime supply like 10 years ago for less than I ever paid for a couple months' worth of Gilette type replacements when i was younger.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Votes for Astra (either one) or Feather.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Is Astra owned by Gillette?

Gillette, the company, actually bought Astra — a Czech company — in 1996 in order to expand its business in Eastern Europe. Now Astra has been swallowed up by Procter & Gamble, which acquired Gillette in 2005
View Quote

So much for Astra being non-woke blades...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.jeremysrazors.com/

I haven't tried them, but they're an Anti-Woke razor company.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:

View Quote

I'd love to see God King Jeremy selling DE blades and even shave soaps.  As of now, he's not.  Cartridges get clogged way too quickly with my heavy beard, especially if I'm not shaving daily.  Cartridges also don't fit my Merkur 34C

Thanks to everybody for the advice.  I'm going to wait a couple days for more replies and order a sample pack of 7 or 9 brands/models and see which works best for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Feather Hi Stainless has been good to me the yellow pack
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried all the brands mentioned here and nothing works as well for me as Lords regular blades (green pack, not the Lords Platinum blades in the white pack)
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:

View Quote
I kind of wanted to try them but I won't do a subscription service.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
I'm not sure if they're woke but I used Personna b/c they're USA and I liked them better than feathers.  I bought a lifetime supply like 10 years ago for less than I ever paid for a couple months' worth of Gilette type replacements when i was younger.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WiseOdin:

*snip*

Thanks to everybody for the advice.  I'm going to wait a couple days for more replies and order a sample pack of 7 or 9 brands/models and see which works best for me.
View Quote
Use Tryablade.com you can order singles of each blade you want to try (that they have in stock) it has the manufacturer and country of origin listed. I generally filter by most popular and go from there. I tried Derbys and they roasted my face and felt dull, but I have the worst combination for shaving (sensitive skin and coarse hair) I usually use USA Personna (blues) or Voskhod blades.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohhnyCobra] [#15]
For me, the blade depends on the razor.

Lord and astra work great in my vintage Gillette DE tech razor
I really like feathers in it. Astra seems to be owned by gillette somehow so I try not to but like them.

I have a more aggressive merkur 34c? Maybe and feathers cut the shit outa me with that handle. Seems they angle the blade more aggressively than a tech.

So my advice is to at least try lord, astra and feather.
Also try a variety pack of  some more brands.

You never know what works with your face/skin and razor u til you try
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like these.
Like Feather they are Japanese and are every bit as sharp, just not as thin.
I find that they last about 12 to 14 shaves.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I really like these.
Like Feather they are Japanese and are every bit as sharp, just not as thin.
I find that they last about 12 to 14 shaves.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/313055/75B2D59D-AC31-4450-86AF-59875CF6A6A0_jpe-2564401.JPG
View Quote
They are supposed to be slightly wider too from what I've read. I need to try them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:
They are supposed to be slightly wider too from what I've read. I need to try them.
View Quote
Don't know about wider.. I'll have to compare them with my other brands but they are my favorite brand.

when I need/want something milder the Van der Hagen from Walmart are pretty good was well, I just change the blade after 4 or 5 shaves. The Kai will last a sold 14 shaves.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Personna red are my favorite. They’re pretty sharp and I get a good, consistent shave for a week to 10 days from 1 blade.

Feather are super sharp and give me a great shave but go downhill fast. I only get a few shaves from 1 blade before I have to replace it.

Astra are not as good of a shave as Personna reds and last maybe a week.

Anything else has been too long since I tried them so I don’t remember.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Feather
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Albeit an old thread but no one mentioned it

A P&G blade (found on the back of package) is the parent company of Gillette
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the personna med prep blades more than Kai, feather, and nacet blades. They are efficient but very smooth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#24]
Personna.

The ones made in Israel if you can find them. Also made in the US. If you can find the Crystals....they are excellent blades.

I'll second Stickyheat on the med preps. Much better shave than Feathers and they last longer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top