The Girl in the Moon by esuniwaya on DeviantArt

(Included 'cause she's so cute.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
These are so cool. Theres a robocop, terminator.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epAo1sCnu8
View Quote
That was extremely kool!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status/1785639832997290146

At the South Pole, the sun rotates around the horizon in 24 hours without going below the horizon.

It's a shoot lasting almost 5 days.

https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status/1785718260274487725

A prototype Sundial watch.

The trick of the gadget is that you can use them to determine the time by the sun's rays.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

At the South Pole, the sun rotates around the horizon in 24 hours without going below the horizon.

The trick of the gadget is that you can use them to determine the time by the sun's rays.
View Quote

Cool gadget. But I work graves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

Just use a flashlight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pj1016:

Home inspector fell through the ceiling?
View All Quotes

Mine was a rental where the roof leaked. There was a huge inverted bubble off of the ceiling before it all fell through.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]
One sunny day in January, 2017, an old man approaches the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue where he’d been sitting on a park bench. He speaks to the U.S. Marine standing guard and says, “I would like to go in and meet with President Obama.” The Marine looks at the man and says, “Sir, Mr. Obama is no longer President and no longer resides here. ”The old man says, “Okay,” and walks away.

The following day the same man approaches the White House and says to the same Marine, “I would like to go in and meet with President Obama.” The Marine again tells the man, “Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Obama is no longer President and no longer resides here.” The man thanks him and again just walks away.

The third day the same man approaches the White House and speaks to the very same U.S. Marine, saying, “I would like to go in and meet with President Obama.” The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looks at the man and says, “Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Obama. I’ve told you already that Mr. Obama is no longer the President and no longer resides here. Don’t you understand?”

The old man looks at the Marine and says,“Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it.” The Marine snaps to attention, salutes, and says, “See you tomorrow, Sir!”

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]

let's look at the picture:
1. The shadow from her left arm indicates lighting from the woman's left side, which would have left the right side of her face in shadow. Her face is totally illuminated.

2. The shadow of her right lapel doesn't conform; it shows illumination from the librarian's upper right.

3. So does the shadow of the librarian's head on her left shoulder.

4. The shadow between 2 books, rising from the librarian's right elbow, indicates illumination (probably from a flash bulb) from behind the photographer.

Someone on the page linked to indicates that the pic is a composite of more than 2 photos.

3. The book is partly supported at its bottom right side; the right side of the book should be warped. It isn't.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#21]

1. The shadow from her left arm indicates lighting from the woman's left side, which would have left the right side of her face in shadow. Her face is totally illuminated.

2. The shadow of her right lapel doesn't conform; it shows illumination from the librarian's upper right.

4. The shadow between 2 books, rising from the librarian's right elbow, indicates illumination (probably from a flash bulb) from behind the photographer.

Someone on the page linked to indicates that the pic is a composite of more than 2 photos.

3. The book is partly supported at its bottom right side; the right side of the book should be warped. It isn't.

View All Quotes

Also: what's the deal with that flipper of a left hand she's sporting?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Also: what's the deal with that flipper of a left hand she's sporting?
View Quote

Family trait?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:
Edit: NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5EGZ145K_w
View Quote

Hugo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Big block chevy lawnmower road test

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
The exact physiological basis of crown shyness is not certain. The phenomenon has been discussed in scientific literature since the 1920s.
A prominent hypothesis is that canopy shyness has to do with mutual light sensing by adjacent plants.
More details/photos: {"message":"DEPRECATED_ENDPOINT"}

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
The exact physiological basis of crown shyness is not certain. The phenomenon has been discussed in scientific literature since the 1920s.
A prominent hypothesis is that canopy shyness has to do with mutual light sensing by adjacent plants.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/2024-05-07_17_52_17--3208178.jpg
View Quote

Very interesting stuff, and restricted to a few species and species associations, most commonly found in tropical and subtropical biomes.

BI1012 Stand 0006 Unthinned Pine by FredMan, on Flickr

YK2445 280 BA Canopy by FredMan, on Flickr

360 BA YP Canopy by FredMan, on Flickr

1986 LB BA 280 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#29]
The front fell off.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kpel308:

Big bada-boom!
View Quote

Pressure gauges (the type you'd read the pressure on) weren't a thing until after the American Civil War. Witness America's greatest maritime tragedy:

Mississippi River Boat Sultana
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#32]

Pressure gauges (the type you'd read the pressure on) weren't a thing until after the American Civil War. Witness America's greatest maritime tragedy:

View All Quotes

Big bada-boom!

Steam locos didn't usually explode because the boiler become over-pressured. (ETA: I forgot to mention safety valves, which would let the pressure out the top of the boiler if the pressure was too high) They typically explode because you melt a hole in the boiler, letting out 200-300 psi all at once in a catastrophic failure.

There is a firebox on the back of the boiler that is fully surrounded by water. the water keeps the steel firebox from melting. The way they kept water at the correct level in the boiler was a glass tube in the cab that worked as water level.  It showed the level of water in the boiler without having to actually look inside the boiler (which would be pretty impossible due to pressure).  But, often they would get clogged and the water in the sight glass wouldn't move up or down anymore. If the water in the sight glass showed that the water was high, but in reality the boiler was low on water, then the firebox could heat the steel on top of the firebox to temps that would allow the boiler pressure to push through the firebox/boiler wall.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Steam locos didn't usually explode because the boiler become over-pressured. They typically explode because you melt a hole in the boiler, letting out 200-300 psi all at once in a catastrophic failure.

There is a firebox on the back of the boiler that is fully surrounded by water. the water keeps the steel firebox from melting. The way they kept water at the correct level in the boiler was a glass tube in the cab that worked as water level.  It showed the level of water in the boiler without having to actually look inside the boiler (which would be pretty impossible due to pressure).  But, often they would get clogged and the water in the sight glass wouldn't move up or down anymore. If the water in the sight glass showed that the water was high, but in reality the boiler was low on water, then the firebox could heat the steel on top of the firebox to temps that would allow the boiler pressure to push through the firebox/boiler wall.
View All Quotes

Big bada-boom!

Steam locos didn't usually explode because the boiler become over-pressured. They typically explode because you melt a hole in the boiler, letting out 200-300 psi all at once in a catastrophic failure.

That sounds bad. When I was on the USNS Hess, the ship in my avatar, we had some numbskull let the water run low in both boilers. Because of the work we did, we were never near shipping lanes so assistance was days away. We were dead in the water for 4 or 5 days eating bologna sandwiches 3 meals a day. The Pacific Ocean south of Hawaii is kinda warm. Did I mention that our emergency diesel generator decided to give up the ghost at the same time? We were able to call for a tow from a Marisat phone. Our engineers repaired one of the boilers, and ran thick electric cables from the emergency comms generator on top and pretty far forward down to the engine room power panel and were able to light off the "repaired" boiler. We got underway just as the salvage ship, might have been the USS Grasp, was coming over the horizon. I'm glad there wasn't a catastrophic explosion because my rack was directly against the engine room bulkhead.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Prolly a dupe but a goodie.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411387/FN1o-TK9-VEAAjv-WM_jpg-3099810.JPG
View Quote

@ 7:00
Roy
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#36]
If a boiler ran low on water on a steam tractor and then it was going up a hill the pipes would get very hot to red hot on the front end of the boiler and then when it hit the top of the hill and leveled out the water would slosh forward and flash steam would be made fast and the pressure would spike and if there was a pop off valve it could not keep up with the quick rise in pressure and the boiler would blow up like a bomb
This happened at a steam and tractor show years ago
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/2024-05-07_17_52_17--3208178.jpg
View Quote

I would say it is just the wind moving the plants destroying the new growth.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Big bada-boom!
View All Quotes
The front fell off.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-df83ecd3269fad65042d412f97937fcf-lq

Big bada-boom!

I doubt the engineer fared well. Hopefully it was quick.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
The most WTF thing I've seen in a while....England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQkFgQsQxY
View Quote

Didn't watch the video, but sticking a pitchfork in the ground and wiggling it has been a thing at least since I was a kid in the 70's, this is ALWAYS how we dug for fishing worms, no digging, stick the fork in the ground and wiggle and they just come up out of the ground. Still works, did it the other day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By kychas:
If a boiler ran low on water on a steam tractor and then it was going up a hill the pipes would get very hot to red hot on the front end of the boiler and then when it hit the top of the hill and leveled out the water would slosh forward and flash steam would be made fast and the pressure would spike and if there was a pop off valve it could not keep up with the quick rise in pressure and the boiler would blow up like a bomb
This happened at a steam and tractor show years ago
View Quote
That can happen to any kind of steam boiler. Stationary boilers too. The key is water being introduced onto a red hot boiler plate. Like you say, the blow off valve can't handle the volume of steam flashing off the plate.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
That can happen to any kind of steam boiler. Stationary boilers too. The key is water being introduced onto a red hot boiler plate. Like you say, the blow off valve can't handle the volume of steam flashing off the plate.
View Quote

IIRC from my S-390 Engine Operations course the volume difference between water and steam is something like 18,000:1

Meaning 1 cubic foot of water makes 18,000 cubic feet of steam.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#46]

I’ve read that they attribute the cause of that volcanic activity to magma heating from the tidal effects of Jupiters gravity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#47]
And now, a little Jewish humor. (Lifted from an old LP: You Don't Have to Be Jewish.)

A middle-aged woman answers her phone, hears: "Oh Mama, Mama, things here are just terrible. The baby's throwing up, the toddlers are making an awful mess and I've got the flu."

"Oh, my poor little girl, let Mama take care of things! I'll go to the pharmacy and get some Pepto and aspirin. Then I'll go to the deli and order To Eat."

"Oh, Mama, Mama, you're an angel! Thanks so much!"

"Darling, it's what Mama is for. By the way, how's Stanley?"

".....Stanley?"

"Yeah, Stanley, your husband!"

"My husband's name is Walter...
....Is this Berkshire One, two two nine two?"

"No, this is Berkshire One, two Nine two two!"

".....Does this mean you're not coming?"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#49]
The home vasectomy failed.
No blood
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#50]

It's a grinder, not a nut driver!
Page / 156
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top