Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kazual] [#1]
I came across this kit at what appeared to be a decent discount, so sucker that I am for a sale, this kit was dropped off today.
Attachment Attached File

I am considering minwax onyx stain, but just ordered 5pk of aniline dye. So may go for a burst of some sort.

Ordered locking Grover 406C and a TUSQ XL nut for kit upgrades.  I have some Seymour Duncan HB's from the 90's in a guitar that rarely gets used for other reasons, so may pull them and use them in place of the kit pickups.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
love the grain on the body, it would look nice clear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#3]
Installed the Butchie Bar ($40) on my Bigsby today.  If you order one of these, read carefully:
Outer pin measurement of 47mm takes the "all US Bigsby Models" and 50mm spacing takes "all Licensed Bigsby models.". Mine is a licensed Bigsby which means imported and it fit the one for US Bigsby models.  The owner was nice enough to send me the 2nd one to try when 1st one didn't fit. This is a really well finished and designed device, with great chrome work.  Probably not as quick for string changes as the Vibramate String Spoiler UNLESS you are changing a complete set as you can string up the Butchie Bar before placing it on the main bar of the Bigsby and pull all the strings around the tension bar at once. It is much easier to restring than a stock Bigsby. It's barely noticeable once installed. US product manufactured in NJ. I highly recommend this if you want to make string changes easier.  If you like the stock setup, the StringRay($10?) is pretty handy and cheap to help keep the ball ends seated.

Only issue I had was that a couple ball ends didn't want to seat when string was tightened but a little nudging with the end of a plastic pen (to prevent marring the paint) popped them into the countersink easily.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also put some foam cut in a wedge under my pickups since the neck angle puts the pickups at an odd angle with the strings, making one coil slightly farther from the strings.  I'll have to redo the one for the neck pickup later as it didn't cant the pickup enough.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Here I go again . I just purchased full size plans for a Lloyd Loar F5 mandolin. This one is going to be a real challenge. I have an awesome piece of quilted mahogany that I'm planning on using for the back and sides. The top will be the standard spruce of some variety. I've still got ebony leftovers from the last guitar I built. This is what I'm aiming for

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably use abalone for the fret dots because I already have some and I like the look of them. I'm going to try to use my initials on the headstock like the last build but instead of block letters I'll try to use cursive script letters. This will be my first time doing binding as well. Once I get going on it I'll start a thread showing my progress. The best part no electronics to deal with

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 19suburban96:
Here I go again . I just purchased full size plans for a Lloyd Loar F5 mandolin. This one is going to be a real challenge. I have an awesome piece of quilted mahogany that I'm planning on using for the back and sides. The top will be the standard spruce of some variety. I've still got ebony leftovers from the last guitar I built. This is what I'm aiming for

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41835/9BD50033-20AA-42A7-A910-2AD327BD2B8E_jpe-2318200.JPG

I'll probably use abalone for the fret dots because I already have some and I like the look of them. I'm going to try to use my initials on the headstock like the last build but instead of block letters I'll try to use cursive script letters. This will be my first time doing binding as well. Once I get going on it I'll start a thread showing my progress. The best part no electronics to deal with

View Quote

F style?  Go big or go home?

I'm impressed.

Setting up my Mando about drove me nuts.  So much tension...so many things to adjust.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Relevant to this thread...modded cheap Hohner used as main gigging guitar (never heard of the band)..

Allen Epley's $90 Hohner Tele | Shiner Rig Rundown Trailer
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fixin2] [#7]
A couple of my partscaster builds. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And my amp build. It’s a Mojo JTM45 clone in a custom Sourmash cabinet. The speaker cabinet is a 2x12 Marshall with 2 12” Celestians.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fixin2:
A couple of my partscaster builds. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188676/E5E71EE8-4FCF-4BFD-95F8-E60E62025941_jpe-2386591.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188676/BD4A9F74-9BDE-4E1C-BC92-29D014704CDF_jpe-2386593.JPG
And my amp build. It’s a Mojo JTM45 clone in a custom Sourmash cabinet. The speaker cabinet is a 2x12 Marshall with 2 12” Celestians.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188676/DABC3D5C-5B69-43C0-B184-74707A505E22_jpe-2386606.JPG
View Quote

Love your use of pine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The tele with the Squier neck is one I should have never sold…. It sounded so sweet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
New mod to my Schecter PT Fastback IIB... I was curious what was under the
hood of fake WRHB covers. Turns out all the poles are screws and the ones hidden were screwed way in to clear the covers...which isn't a good thing. Wax potting was pretty poor which explains some of the squeal I was getting with higher gain amps. Covers were soldered on with something that my 700 degree soldering iron wouldn't even melt so ended up cutting the cover off with a Dremel disc. The covers were brass. Still working at getting some of the wax off the pickup but results as you'd expect with cover removed. More clarity, handles high gain with less mud. I was considering replacing this pickup with a Duncan Distortion but this will hold me off.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:33:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoundStorm] [#11]
Recently modified one of my Tele's to just a bridge pickup, volume and tone knob only. I just found myself never using the neck pickup.

The pickup is a Seymour Duncan vintage 54. Really nice sounding pickup. Very bright.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally finished up my latest build with the GFS body and pickups. Went for a Jimi Hendrix Monterey strat clone. I used GFS "Jimi" reverse stagger pickups and a pickguard with the bridge slant reversed.

I like the neck ferrules, but should've ordered a 15 mm forstner bit. All I could find locally was 5/8", and it's a little too big, but it's just cosmetic

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bikerzed:
Finally finished up my latest build with the GFS body and pickups. Went for a Jimi Hendrix Monterey strat clone. I used GFS "Jimi" reverse stagger pickups and a pickguard with the bridge slant reversed.

I like the neck ferrules, but should've ordered a 15 mm forstner bit. All I could find locally was 5/8", and it's a little too big, but it's just cosmetic

https://i.imgur.com/KSt7Kj3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bgVs5Nc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UlFWGU7.jpg
View Quote

Nice work. I really like how it turned out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I love that and you killed the neck joint!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#15]
Next up, I'm giving my Schecter a more Duesenberg look, with open pickup covers.  Ordered a nickel silver ring for my bridge PU and an Artec neck humbucker size P90 (8k) that has an open cover...this look:

On this guitar...

From what I can tell, a P90 should do just fine with the 500k pots and .022 cap that's already in there for the stock humbucker. Always found Artec pickups to be hidden gems:

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#16]
After the slow boat from China arrived with my Artec pickup...looks like Musiclily out of Shenzhen is now the distributor for Artec, which I don't fully comprehend since they are supposed to be a South Korean company and I thought I'd be getting SK manufactured pickups.... The mockup looks good anyway...

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:35:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#17]
Old:
Attachment Attached File

New:
Attachment Attached File

Replaced all the Cosmo black hardware with gold, put in the SD SH-4 and SH-2 pickups, brass tone block and noiseless tremolo springs.

Parts:
Attachment Attached File

Finished guitar:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Done with the pickup dress-up and swap.  At least it looks good, haven't had a chance to crank an amp up and check the new pickup out yet. I was having trouble with the OEM unbranded toggle also so upgraded that to a Switchcraft while I had the soldering iron warm

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI, if any of you were planing on building a Black strat, Amazon has the Fender Classic 50s Series soft-V necks on sale for 25% off right now. ($224, regular $300)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TH94BAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheapest I've seen them in nearly 4 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#20]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Done with the pickup dress-up and swap.  At least it looks good, haven't had a chance to crank an amp up and check the new pickup out yet. I was having trouble with the OEM unbranded toggle also so upgraded that to a Switchcraft while I had the soldering iron warm

https://i.postimg.cc/YCd1r3ZV/IMG-20230118-154821098-HDR.jpg
View Quote

For my next trick...  Black Fender Tele Deluxe witch hat knobs to replace the very heavy chrome all metal OEM knobs. This guitar has always been on the heavy side so anything lighter is better. Requires adapter sleeves from Amazon.

Attachment Attached File

For something sort of like this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Shaved 3 oz off the weight of the PT and the Fender knobs really do look better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Latest personal build.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve been working on this lap steel build.
I’ve never played one, but I got a wild hair one day to get one, then decided to just make my own.
How hard can it be?Mock up
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Got it 1000 grit flat sanded. I’m going to go over it with 1500, 2000, then start polishing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By my65pan:
Got it 1000 grit flat sanded. I’m going to go over it with 1500, 2000, then start polishing.
View Quote

Nice!! where did you get the key pan?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I got an acoustic guitar donated to me that has the tuning peg snapped off.  Should I replace this myself or just use a small set of vice grips to tune?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/busted_peg-2965005.jpg
View Quote

$14.22. Replace.

Musiclily 3+3 Guitar Semi-closed Tuners 3R3L String Tuning Pegs Keys Machine Heads Set for Epiphone Les Paul Style Electric Guitar or Acoustic Guitar Replacement, Chrome https://a.co/d/eynLJS4
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my65pan] [#28]
Originally Posted By KorinaBrother:

View Quote

eBay, Kluson is making them and the blank 3 on 1 tuners again.
All done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]

All done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KorinaBrother:

All done.

I will never again recommend Kluson.  The South Korean 3 on a plate reissues for my J45 were nice and tight when installed but only after a few months some had 90-180 degrees of backlash. I'm probably outside my warranty. If I go to Gotoh Klusons they won't have the proper text on the back but it's player grade and I have the originals still. Originals were soaked in naptha for a week and brake cleaner sprayed inside and everything else and still bind up from caked up grease inside.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moondog] [#30]
Has anyone here installed a Tune O Matic bridge on a Tele style guitar?  Just curious if the neck needs to be tilted to accommodate the bridge/ saddle height?

Edited to add:  Never mind.  I see the Tele with the Bigsby kit.  Looks like it can be done without tilting the neck.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top