Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Oatmeal for breakfast? (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2024 7:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
Not the stuff in packets filled with sugar but the kind you have to make on a stove. Who eats it and does it really promote a long life?

I picked up a box and made a batch with milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon, then used stevia because it was still a little bland. Nothing exciting about this stuff but I keep reading how the old timers ate it and lived into their nineties.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:09:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#1]
I eat real oats almost every morning. Plain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Some steel cut oats in the instant pot with some diced apple and maple syrup is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I try to eat it around lunch 45 minutes before my 3 mile walk so the blood sugar spike hits while I'm out.

Plain rolled oats with a spoon full of chia seeds and a spoon full of home made preserves from my annual canning extravaganza.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Real oats, cinnamon, pecans or walnuts, plain Greek yogurt, blueberries, no added sugar.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I could never get into eating oatmeal. I don't mind the taste but the damn texture is awful.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Any time I make my own breakfast these days it’s on the trailing edge of scrambled eggs.

Rolled oats, cinnamon and chia seeds are a very heart healthy combination
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I do overnight oats every weekday for breakfast.  Oats, protein powder, creatine, allspice, cinnamon and then usually almonds and either blueberries or bananas.  Sometimes I heat it up or just eat it cold.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I just do oats (cold, overnight style) with fruit, in the mornings I'm doing a long and/or higher intensity bike ride.

The fiber is good, but I don't need half my daily carbs in one sitting on average activity days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Fan
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:47:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#13]
1/2 C Oatmeal  https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-oatmeal
1 Tbl Chia Seeds  https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-chia-seeds
1.25 cups water (You might need more water, Chia seeds soak up quite a bit.)
Cook

Add
2 oz Blueberries   https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-blueberries
2 oz Strawberries  https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-strawberry
Cinnamon
Maybe 1/4 tsp Truvia

Nearly every day.

This morning.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#14]
I like to.  A little carb heavy but will definitely sit on your stomach and keep you from getting hungry for a longer period of time.  I have a couple of recipes I makes: a banana based one that I add fresh cut strawberries and another that is apple based that adds a touch of maple syrup and cinnamon. I try to pair a cup of the oatmeal w/ a hard boiled egg or bacon to get some protein in. Have some greek yogurt or cottage cheese for more of the same later in the day or around lunch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
going to make some right now
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]
carbs are the devil
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#17]
Yes oatmeal for breakfast. Have it from time to time. It is bland unless you add in fruit, Maple syrup, brown sugar (or plain sugar), or other sweetener.
If one is watching their sugar intake (for diabetes, etc.) just use artificial sweetners instead of sugar.

Typically buy a big box of Quaker oatmeal and a bag of Whole Earth Erythritol & Monk Fruit Sweetener from Costco from time to time. Then dice up some bananas or apples to toss in on top of the cooked oatmeal. Other options are a dash of vanilla extract and or a dash of cinnamon powder for a different flavor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been having it for a few months now for breakfast.  I got some Seven Sundays brand from Costco and I add some berry's and some honey.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, breakfast. "Double serving" is 1 cup of oats in a glass bowl, just enough water (recipe on box calls for 1.5 cups but tends to be watery) to cover, 2 minutes in the microwave on "High", mix in 2 spoons of brown sugar, a good dash of powdered cinnamon and a handful of either raisins or craisins. Dump in some milk and go at it. Will keep me going all day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
carbs are the devil
View Quote

Agreed. I think we were designed to eat meat not grains.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quaker Oats when time permitted and plain old Cheerios in a pinch, were my mother’s
breakfast offerings. There were always bananas and strawberries as supplements
though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't eat breakfast, it's a meal for children and the elderly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#23]
You’ll be healthier if you ate 4 eggs and some cottage cheese
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, you guys eat some gross shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Some steel cut oats in the instant pot with some diced apple and maple syrup is my favorite.
View Quote
Try apple butter in them. My favorite.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#26]
but but but carbs and ketosis and stuff
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Citadel:
but but but carbs and ketosis and stuff
View Quote

sad little stories people tell themselves over the years to justify poor life choices

one post from people will read "me do keto, me awesome"

next post from them

"whatcha drinking this Tuesday night"

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#28]
fuck that horse food
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Since I keep a few hundred pounds of it in 5 gal buckets for DOOOM, yeah we eat it for breakfast regularly.  I like it with butter and a bit of brown sugar but on the plain side.  

Dogs like it too
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElSupremo] [#30]
Dick Cole, the last Doolittle Raider, made it to 103. He told me that the secret to his longevity was oatmeal and Jack Daniels, but not at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WingMaster988:
You’ll be healthier if you ate 4 eggs and some cottage cheese
View Quote

I do eat 3 eggs/day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I like the Old Fashioned oats with blueberries. Just had some about an hour ago. The missus looks at the oats cannister and sees that if it gets to about 1/4 left, she buys me more when she goes to the store.

I have it my 4 mornings after working 3rd shift each week. Only about a quarter cup as I get cleaned up after work and get ready to go to bed for the day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
I could never get into eating oatmeal. I don't mind the taste but the damn texture is awful.
View Quote

Try steel cut oats.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I had some yesterday morning and will again today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#35]
carbs are the devil
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
carbs are the devil

This.  Oatmeal is shit.

Black coffee for breakfast and then around 11 or 1200 break your fast and have a 2 or 3 slices of thick bacon and a couple or 3 eggs.  No bread.

Because of this…

Originally Posted By HappyCamel:

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#36]
Originally Posted By cb69:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cb69:
carbs are the devil

We evolved eating what we could. And the meat was not bacon or highly marbled wagu. I bet certain bugs were high up on the menu. The big bulbous seed heads like oats were probably eaten often. When you’re lean the oils, proteins, and sugars in them probably drew you in til you got a rodent.  I think it was a hugely varied diet with meat and honey highly sought.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
View Quote

You forgot adults who want gains.  If you're not eating breakfast, you're leaving gains on the table.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Packet or stovetop it's still mostly empty carbs. If you have a physical job have at it. If you are fat, skip breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:31:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mall-Ninja] [#39]
Did it for years, since I could do it in a slow cooker on a timer overnight and have it ready to go when I woke up. Steel cut oats, some sugar, some water. You could add more to taste, or go savory.

Wife and kids bitched about it incessantly, but nobody offered to get up early to make breakfast.

Changed jobs and schedule, now I have time to cook breakfast, so it’s scrambled eggs and toast, which tastes much better.

Now it’s just my daughter who bitches about having the same exact breakfast every day, but of course, she doesn’t offer to get up early to make something else.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer granola. It's basically the same just baked. I add yogurt, raisins, and blueberries. I eat it everyday.

Lunch (on most days) is bacon and eggs.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#41]
3 to 4 times a week for breakfast. I use a little cinnamon and sliced bananas to spice it up a little.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
I try to eat it around lunch 45 minutes before my 3 mile walk so the blood sugar spike hits while I'm out.

Plain rolled oats with a spoon full of chia seeds and a spoon full of home made preserves from my annual canning extravaganza.
View Quote

If you are conscious of your blood sugar spikes and need to time them to exercise, why are you eating oats?

I’m not anti-oat for people with a healthy metabolism (not diabetic, in other words). But I’m still amazed (and angry) at how the medical community continues to try to find ways for diabetics to eat oats. It needs to stop.

There is no reason to eat oats. There’s nothing magical about them.  The same people who push oats are the same people that bitch about dietary cholesterol, dietary salt intake, etc. despite more and more evidence debunking those claims.

It’s startling what has been accepted as gospel by the medical community and how dogmatic they are once they’re told something in med school. Part god complex and part “I’m afraid of getting sued based over a standard of care claim”.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:17:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#43]
I made oatmeal this AM because of this thread.

Raw milk
Rolled oats
Just a touch of real maple syrup

One slice of Dave's Killer bread with Kerrygold butter.

Will monitor how I feel today, if I feel good I'll try it again tomorrow. Coffee is my normal breakfast...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
I do overnight oats every weekday for breakfast.  Oats, protein powder, creatine, allspice, cinnamon and then usually almonds and either blueberries or bananas.  Sometimes I heat it up or just eat it cold.
View Quote

I do the same but in a blender with milk and 2 bananas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I probably eat it a couple times a week. If I have some bananas or other fruit, I just put those in there and I don't have to do any additional sweetening.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#46]
I like this one because it's just oats, and I like the texture of stone ground oats better than rolled or steel cut.

I often add frozen blueberries to cool it off before eating.

Attachment Attached File

About $12 for 1kg, which makes about 25 servings. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere if you look.

Since going from no breakfast most mornings to this every morning about a year ago, my blood pressure went from pre hypertension back down to normal range, and LDL cholesterol is now within guidelines according to my last wellness checkup.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#49]
My wife ate it daily for years. With cinnamon and blueberries. I prefer coffee, coffeecake and a Marlboro Gold 100.

She died at 64. I'm still here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Rolled oats, pecans, raisins, a pat of buttah and 2 sweet n lows.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Oatmeal for breakfast? (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top