BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 49
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

I agree. 5,000+ yards and 48 TDs in Nineteen Fucking Eighty Four is ridiculous. That was the first year I watched the NFL and I remember him doing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Page 13 is almost up and no mention of the man with the single best regular season an NFL QB has ever, and will ever, have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_7481_jpeg-3167442.JPG

I agree. 5,000+ yards and 48 TDs in Nineteen Fucking Eighty Four is ridiculous. That was the first year I watched the NFL and I remember him doing it.

“Adjusting for inflation,” a QB these days would have to put up a 7,000 yard/70 TD type season before, IMO, it would even warrant having a debate about whether it was better than Marino’s 1984 season.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]

“Adjusting for inflation,” a QB these days would have to put up a 7,000 yard/70 TD type season before, IMO, it would even warrant having a debate about whether it was better than Marino’s 1984 season.
View Quote

Maybe a little less than that, but yeah you're not far off IMO.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

View All Quotes

Nah, he's right on the money. In the '80s, you had defenses literally nearly killing opposing QBs and maiming receivers downfield. It was carnage and as a defensive person myself (having played safety in high school, college, and semi-pro), I loved it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Nah, he's right on the money. In the '80s, you had defenses literally nearly killing opposing QBs and maiming receivers downfield. It was carnage and as a defensive person myself (having played safety in high school, college, and semi-pro), I loved it.
View All Quotes

Using PFR's stats, and only looking at yardage just for the sake of time...

In 1984 there were 13 QB's who threw for more than 3000 yards.
In 2023 there were 19 QB's who threw for more than 3000 yards.

In 1984 there were 3 QB's who threw for more than 4000 yards.
In 2023 there were 10 QB's who threw for more than 4000 yards.

In 1984 there was 1 QB who threw for more than 5000 yards.
In 2023 there were 0 QB's who threw for more than 5000 yards. You can go back to 2020 and only find 3 QB's who broke 5000 yards. Herbert, Brady, and Mahomes.

WG is absolutely correct that the game has changed drastically and that those numbers in 1984 were significantly harder to achieve than they are in today's game, but they're still not being achieved with any frequency in the modern game. HK wanting to adjust for inflation makes sense, I agree with the concept, I'm just saying that a 7k yard/70 TD season in modern times is a bit too much considering only 11 QB's have exceeded Marino's yardage from 1984 and none of them have even exceeded 6k yards yet. Only 4 QB's have exceeded Marino's TD numbers from 1984 with Manning holding the record at 55.

There's no doubt that the league is trending towards Marino's 1984 numbers becoming "normal" but we're not there yet. I'd say "adjusting for inflation" would realistically be more in the 6k yard range if we're basing that off of how close contemporaries of the era were coming to those numbers. If we're just trying to adjust based off rule changes and the physicalness of the game, I don't really think there is any way to do that other than "feels".
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RSG:
View Quote

Meh, I don't hate it. Anything has to better than kickers kicking it almost through the uprights and gifting the 25 as a starting point by default.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Do they get dumber?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Page 13 is almost up and no mention of the man with the single best regular season an NFL QB has ever, and will ever, have.

View Quote

We're less than two weeks into free agency, there are notable trades happening, and we're building up to the draft.

Why would be be focused on something that happened forty years ago now?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 68injunhed:

Meh, I don't hate it. Anything has to better than kickers kicking it almost through the uprights and gifting the 25 as a starting point by default.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RSG:

I'm confused. You hate gifting the receiving team getting it at the 25 but you are OK with them receiving it at the 30 now?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Do they get dumber?
View Quote

Not sure that is possible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheHunstman:

I'm confused. You hate gifting the receiving team getting it at the 25 but you are OK with them receiving it at the 30 now?
View Quote

No, the new format is designed specifically to ensure having actual returns. Did you even look at it? Starting at the 30 would be because someone screwed up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#12]

We're less than two weeks into free agency, there are notable trades happening, and we're building up to the draft.

View All Quotes

It’s a total mystery.

Page 13…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]

No, the new format is designed specifically to ensure having actual returns. Did you even look at it? Starting at the 30 would be because someone screwed up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheHunstman:

Oh, I get it, that punishes the kicking team more by just doing the easiest thing and kick into the endzone. All good!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#15]

It’s a total mystery.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_7539_jpeg-3168849.JPG
View All Quotes

It’s a total mystery.

Page 13…

Pardon me for not knowing the jersey number for a dude that played back in nineteen dickety two.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Do they get dumber?
View Quote
Great Value brand.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#18]
They just banned the hip drop tackle. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Pardon me for not knowing the jersey number for a dude that played back in nineteen dickety two.
View All Quotes

It’s a total mystery.

Page 13…

I know he wasn’t a chief but damn! Even I knew he was 13. 😉
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Steelers HC Mike Tomlin said that he reached out to ex-Lions and ex-Steelers CB Cam Sutton in light of his off-field issues (active warrant for his arrest for throwing his baby momma out a window).

A reporter followed up by asking Tomlin if he managed to speak with Sutton. Tomlin responded with, "None of your business."

Hey... You're the one who brought it up Mike.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
Steelers HC Mike Tomlin said that he reached out to ex-Lions and ex-Steelers CB Cam Sutton in light of his off-field issues (active warrant for his arrest for throwing his baby momma out a window).

A reporter followed up by asking Tomlin if he managed to speak with Sutton. Tomlin responded with, "None of your business."

Hey... You're the one who brought it up Mike.
View Quote
Both are dumber than a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bennjammin:

View All Quotes

It’s a total mystery.

Page 13…

Come on, now. It’s not like he’s the greatest player to ever wear #13 in NFL history or anything.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Come on, now. It’s not like he’s the greatest player to ever wear #13 in NFL history or anything.
View All Quotes

It’s a total mystery.

Page 13…

Speaking of 13, saw this gem today

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#24]
Bad Twitter video that shows what the NFL just showed in a press conference of an example of a now banned hip-drop tackle.

Fuck... The 49ers/Cowboys Pollard tackle. No way that should be fucking illegal. That will be a 15 yard penalty and a fine for the defender? Fucking nightmare.

Same with the Chiefs/Bengals tackle right after it. That's just hitting a guy from the side and dropping your weight to make a tackle man. What do you want guys to do? Blow out his knee with their helmet/shoulder instead?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Bad Twitter video that shows what the NFL just showed in a press conference of an example of a now banned hip-drop tackle.

Fuck... The 49ers/Cowboys Pollard tackle. No way that should be fucking illegal. That will be a 15 yard penalty and a fine for the defender? Fucking nightmare.

Same with the Chiefs/Bengals tackle right after it. That's just hitting a guy from the side and dropping your weight to make a tackle man. What do you want guys to do? Blow out his knee with their helmet/shoulder instead?
View Quote

The “inflation” for Marino’s 1984 season just went up a little… again.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#26]

230 additional 15-yard penalties.
230 additional fines issued to players.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]

230 additional fines issues to players.
View Quote

Serious question: what over/under would you guys put on how many years it will be until the NFL is playing flag football (or something extremely close to it)?

50 years?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PossumKing] [#29]

230 additional fines issued to players.
View Quote

Yep.  Assuming players modify tackling behavior, there will probably only be about 60 legit hip drops next year.  Further assuming that the refs will flag every ticky-tack play the way they do with PI and defensive holding, 230 still sounds about right.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Good point.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Serious question: what over/under would you guys put on how many years it will be until the NFL is playing flag football (or something extremely close to it)?

50 years?
View Quote

JJ's already on it

Also on the over/under, I saw a comment on one of the Tweets saying how now that the NFL is so far in bed with gambling sites, that this new rule is another gateway to change games outcomes..

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#33]
Originally Posted By PossumKing:

Yep.  Assuming players modify tackling behavior, there will probably only be about 60 legit hip drops next year.  Further assuming that the refs will flag every ticky-tack play the way they do with PI and defensive holding, 230 still sounds about right.
View Quote
Last year officials called the following 15-yard penalties:
Click To View SpoilerTotal: 471

An additional 230 15-yard penalties for Hip-Drop Tackles would be an increase of 49%. Equivalent to half of every 15-yard penalty called last season. And would be the highest single category, surpassing Unnecessary Roughness, which covers NUMEROUS types of hits/incidents, by 35%.

Edit: Assuming the Hip-Drop would be a fine equal to Roughing the Passer, and that every fine was a "first offense", then the NFL would collect almost an additional $4M in fines next year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#35]

"Money talks, bull shit walks"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#36]
Owners will vote tomorrow to adjust the Hard Knocks exclusions. Would remove the playoff two-year exclusion.

They will also vote on whether to change Hard Knocks: In Season from following a single team, to following an entire division.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I've never watched Hard Knocks.  Is it really that good that they want to continue this team distraction?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
I've never watched Hard Knocks.  Is it really that good that they want to continue this team distraction?
View Quote
I thoroughly enjoy the regular Hard Knocks.
I do not enjoy the in season one as much.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Last year there were 29,034 tackles in the NFL. The League Office stated today that Hip-Drop Tackles accounted for 230 of them. They account for 0.8% of total tackles.

A special rule for something that makes up less than 1% of all tackles, but will result in HUNDREDS of additional 15-yard penalties and NFL fines every season.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Has a team that’s done Hard Knocks ever won the Super Bowl that season?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#41]
Has a team that's done Hard Knocks ever won the Super Bowl that season?
View Quote
Negative. Including the In Season, there have been 22 total teams, 8 have made the playoffs.

2001 Ravens (Divisional)
2009 Bengals (Wild Card)
2010 Jets (Conference)
2013 Bengals (Wild Card)
2015 Texans (Wild Card)
2020 Rams (Divisional)
2021 Cowboys (Wild Card)
2023 Dolphins (Wild Card)

The most successful regular season was the 2021 Cowboys who went 12-5 but lost in the Wild Card round to the 49ers. The Dolphins (In Season) went 11-6 last year and then lost to the Chiefs in the Wild Card round.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Last year there were 29,034 tackles in the NFL. The League Office stated today that Hip-Drop Tackles accounted for 230 of them. They account for 0.8% of total tackles.

A special rule for something that makes up less than 1% of all tackles, but will result in HUNDREDS of additional 15-yard penalties and NFL fines every season.
View Quote
Going to be a mess.

Not sure if I even want to watch football now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#43]
When you win your division for the first time in 30 years you probably deserve some new duds.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#44]
Tom Pelissero, "When I've had conversations here [owners meeting] with executives from other teams who know Adam Peters [new Commanders GM] well, know the situation well, the most popular answer for what they're doing at #2 is J.J. McCarthy."

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Via ESPN: Even though they signed Daniel Jones to a $160 million deal last year, New York Giants general manager Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll have the green light from ownership to draft a quarterback, if they so desire.

The Giants currently hold the sixth pick in an especially strong quarterback draft.

"If they fall in love with a quarterback and believe that it's worth pick No. 6 or moving up, I certainly would support that," owner John Mara said Monday at the NFL owners meetings.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#46]

In 2023 there were 0 QB's who threw for more than 5000 yards. You can go back to 2020 and only find 3 QB's who broke 5000 yards. Herbert, Brady, and Mahomes.

WG is absolutely correct that the game has changed drastically and that those numbers in 1984 were significantly harder to achieve than they are in today's game, but they're still not being achieved with any frequency in the modern game. HK wanting to adjust for inflation makes sense, I agree with the concept, I'm just saying that a 7k yard/70 TD season in modern times is a bit too much considering only 11 QB's have exceeded Marino's yardage from 1984 and none of them have even exceeded 6k yards yet. Only 4 QB's have exceeded Marino's TD numbers from 1984 with Manning holding the record at 55.

There's no doubt that the league is trending towards Marino's 1984 numbers becoming "normal" but we're not there yet. I'd say "adjusting for inflation" would realistically be more in the 6k yard range if we're basing that off of how close contemporaries of the era were coming to those numbers. If we're just trying to adjust based off rule changes and the physicalness of the game, I don't really think there is any way to do that other than "feels".
View All Quotes

Brees did it 5 fucking times. Doesn't get credit because the league is filled with corrupt faggots.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Tom Pelissero, "When I've had conversations here [owners meeting] with executives from other teams who know Adam Peters [new Commanders GM] well, know the situation well, the most popular answer for what they're doing at #2 is J.J. McCarthy."

https://i.imgur.com/lCNi77U.png
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#48]
Rod Wood (the Lions President) himself indicated that Cam Sutton was inside Allen Park (the Lions HQ/Training Facility) when the team first learned of the warrant for his arrest. He was working with the strength and conditioning staff when Lions staff then approached him and urged him to seek legal counsel and turn himself in. He left the facility and that was the end of any communication between him and the Lions. They have had no communication since.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Do they get dumber?
View Quote

That'd be hard to do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#50]

View Quote

How bout No.
That's basic football fan shit.
Page / 49
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top