User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 11:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Tomorrow is the deadline to put in for big game draw. I could only pick deer because of the time I have off. I didn't do my research ahead of time and picked one unit with .03
chance of getting a tag and then as a back up I picked the most deer free crap unit, Beaver.

I did somehow get a late season elk tag last year but couldn't go
View Quote

Plenty of deer tags in NYS!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a lotto for blacktail or whitetail ?

Lotto though ?

you just can't buy a tag to deer hunt in Utah
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Tomorrow is the deadline to put in for big game draw. I could only pick deer because of the time I have off. I didn't do my research ahead of time and picked one unit with .03
chance of getting a tag and then as a back up I picked the most deer free crap unit, Beaver.

I did somehow get a late season elk tag last year but couldn't go
View Quote

Time off? I thought you were a retired lawyer?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Mule deer.

I bought a late season elk tag last year no lotto. I got goose egged on my lotto buys last year
View Quote

cool

never hunted them
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Time off from soccer mom duties but I do still do some lawyering. My wife has to take off work if I disappear so she can watch the kids
View Quote

Well, that certainly let a few PSI of air out of the Aimless legend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Me neither. I did see some near beaver in 22 but they were on private land
View Quote

You’ve never seen a Mule Deer on public land?

Goddamn. The legend of Aimless takes another hit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Utah DWR has done it's very best to decimate the deer herd especially here in Southern Utah.
Decent bucks are very scarce.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw these, but I don't have an Arizona hunting license https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/IMG_0399-3197241.jpg
View Quote

Well everything is better with some cows around
Livin' in town sometimes brings me down
Let me bestow this western blessing share what I have found
May you always have cows around
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By deadelk:
Utah DWR has done it's very best to decimate the deer herd especially here in Southern Utah.
View Quote

Mule deer are in decline everywhere.

I think they look down from the hills and see all those new subdivisions and they just feel too sick to breed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I take that back. I saw a bunch of deer near beaver in the mountains but that's all small copses of trees and open plains. That might be pretty exciting during deer season since all that area is accessible by dirt roads you could drive a Corolla on
View Quote

Yeah.

You’re gonna need boots, a backpack, decent binos, a tripod (or monopod) and motivation.

If you’re hunting an area that a new guy from New York can find, you’re in the wrong area. This produces some challenges, for you, being a new guy from New York, but you’ll just need to try harder.

You aren’t far from the best mule deer areas in the world.

A tag might be challenging however.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

I think they look down from the hills and see all those new subdivisions and they just feel too sick to breed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deadelk:

I fully expect mule deer to become a "threatened species" in my lifetime.
Hence my motivation to kill a fine example before they are not huntable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Beaver only has something like a 44% success rate, so the local boys from the closed pig rendering plant aren't exactly bowling them over either. Too bad to as they probably need the meat unless they got a job in tourism. There's a formerly closed ski mountain that's reopened and a bunch of fancy ski chateaus being built

The tags Utah seems to be willing to hand out are in irradiated deserts or surrounded by angry Indians and private land patrolled by murderous cowboys

View Quote

44% success rate in the west is absolutely crushing it. No matter what species.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Beaver only has something like a 44% success rate, so the local boys from the closed pig rendering plant aren't exactly bowling them over either. Too bad too as they probably need the meat unless they got a job in tourism. There's a formerly closed ski mountain that's reopened and a bunch of fancy ski chateaus being built

View Quote

44% is a reasonable success rate. It’s not back east where you sit in a tree on ten acres and wait for the whitetails to show up to the corn feeder.

I’m sure “ski chateaus” are just what the area needs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Beaver only has something like a 44% success rate, so the local boys from the closed pig rendering plant aren't exactly bowling them over either. Too bad to as they probably need the meat unless they got a job in tourism. There's a formerly closed ski mountain that's reopened and a bunch of fancy ski chateaus being built

The tags Utah seems to be willing to hand out are in irradiated deserts or surrounded by angry Indians and private land patrolled by murderous cowboys

View Quote

Nothing wrong with angry Indians and murderous cowboys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I put in for Panguitch otherwise I will take the point and wait. Buy a over the counter elk tag and hunt the Wasatch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#26]
You're just having a run of bad luck, aren't you
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#27]
It’s deer season year round if you kill it with your truck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I saw these, but I don't have an Arizona hunting license https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/IMG_0399-3197241.jpg
View Quote

Them are Slowww Elk
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Our draw results don’t come out till June.
I’d like to say Colorado just got stoned and “spaced it out”, but it’s been that way forever here.
They claim they want to be able to get herd estimates, factor in winter kill, all that, before deciding how many tags to issue.
 Meanwhile half the state can be hunted by an unlimited number of rifle tags, no draw needed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Did you get your elk and moose point?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#31]
Yeah you really should be in the point game.  Pretty cheap for a resident.
Over here the non resi have to buy a small game tag just for the privilege of applying for big game lol.  It’s about 100 bucks just to apply, win or lose.  But then they get a point, or some just apply for the point and try to gain enough points to get a decent tag.  The best units take 20+ years to draw.  What a $ maker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Over here the non resi have to buy a small game tag just for the privilege of applying for big game lol.  It’s about 100 bucks just to apply, win or lose.  But then they get a point, or some just apply for the point and try to gain enough points to get a decent tag.  The best units take 20+ years to draw.  What a $ maker.
View Quote

I wish we could sell our points. Talk about a money maker
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

I was just bitching about this to my wife a couple days ago, as I was slipping the UDWR another $140 bribe for this year's point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Weird lookin deer you got out there man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:48:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#36]
Come to Maryland.

These aren't even all the days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

$160 non resident permit, straight walled cartridges legal for firearms statewide (bottleneck cartridges allowed in some counties) . No bids for zones, just pay your money and pick your tree (with a big bait pile 50 yards away if on private property).

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I was successful drawing an Elk tag for bow season.  1st week in Northern New Mexico.  Unit 2.  Been a few years since
I was last out with the bow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a lifetime license. I could go back and kill a deer with a baseball bat. I could claim it's a sleep service animal to get it on the plane to Utah
View Quote

LOL.  A penguin carrying a deer on a plane.

What'll they think of next!?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Just go to CO for weekend and do some night work

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

In Minecraft of course
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Come to Maryland.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20240425_084504_jpg-3197358.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20240425_084429_jpg-3197359.JPG

$160 non resident permit, straight walled cartridges legal for firearms statewide (bottleneck cartridges allowed in some counties) . No bids for zones, just pay your money and pick your tree (with a big bait pile 50 yards away if on private property).

Kharn
View Quote

The spirit of a properly done western deer hunt is not the same as doing what sounds basically like suburban pest control for the state.

Those hunts would make me feel like I should be able to submit a time card for my hours at the end of the hunt.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#42]

The spirit of a properly done western deer hunt is not the same as doing what sounds basically like suburban pest control for the state.

Those hunts would make me feel like I should be able to submit a time card for my hours at the end of the hunt.
View All Quotes
Come to Maryland.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20240425_084504_jpg-3197358.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Screenshot_20240425_084429_jpg-3197359.JPG

Kharn

You can walk five miles around your car before going the 100 yards from the parking lot to your tree if you want. But the other hunters will think you're weird and take your picture.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Uh
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Did you get your elk and moose point?
Uh

Oh
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:34:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#45]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#46]

You can walk five miles around your car before going the 100 yards from the parking lot to your tree if you want. But the other hunters will think you're weird and take your picture.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Come to Maryland.

Kharn

Kharn

Do you field-dress those cute little Bambis after walking laps around your car?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Loads of wild turkeys in the hills east of Beaver.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:43:38 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

You've never seen a Mule Deer on public land?

Goddamn. The legend of Aimless takes another hit.

Those are cow deer.

They’re an invasive species, no tag required.

Should have taken one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:
Come to Maryland.

Kharn

Kharn

.450 Bushmaster usually deposits the backstraps 25m away. Just pick them up and go before the Karens get there.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I've been putting in for deer on Antelope Island for 15 years.  Haven't drawn yet.
View Quote

Rode my bicycle around Antelope Island a couple of times when I was working in SLC a couple of years ago. When you get your tag, you should have plenty of targets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top