Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2023 2:53:57 PM EDT
2025 47X with Detroit DD13 and DT12 1850-OV Automated manual. The truck would be used as a farm grain truck and likely never get to 75,000 miles. If any one has any opinions about these trucks, engines, or transitions I would love to hear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Detroit transmission I wouldn’t have any issues with.  Probably the best option on the market for an ‘automatic’ transmission.  

The Detroit engine could be hit or miss.  I personally wouldn’t want to deal with one - last one was a 2021 and over the course of about 26 months it spent about six months in the shop due to injectors (50k miles and 80k miles) and issues with the ONE box and regen system (110k, 160k and 170k).     The truck was towed each of the five times it broke down.  

Specifically the 2021s were plagued with issues, but given the overall issues with the truck/engine, but I wouldn’t intentionally *pick* any of the newer Detroit engines.  

Keep in mind, Western Star is essentially a ‘fancy’ cab stuck on a Freightliner.   The truck you’re looking at is pretty much the same as a Freightliner
108SD which should be noticeably less expensive than the Western Star, while getting the same real performance.

Ultimately, the answer is if you are willing to deal with a Detroit engine and it’s potential issues, and if you have any other dealers close by.    If you only have access to a Western Star shop, I could see the appeal.   If you have other options, I would explore those.    

Aside from the major breakdowns, the engine pulled well, and was smooth.   A major downside, was the engine brake, which was less than satisfactory.     It wouldn’t hold the truck back as effectively as it should have.   That’s a combined issue with the engine brake, and the engine/tune.     If you’re in hilly terrain with a load, it’s something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawndo] [#2]
Is the 47 have Freightliner counterpart? If so choose that. I'm a  big Western Star fan. I started with a 2000 4964EX, ran that into the ground, then bought a 2013 4900SB glider which I still have as well as a 2019 5700xe. I'd rather buy a Crapcadia than the 49x though. DD15/DT12 is good except for backing that last foot into a dock. It's nerve wracking when backing up to a plane.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I actually wanted a Freightliner but the dealer near me sold and now just sells Western Star. I am going to ask around about the engine, kind of concerned about the issues mentioned at such low mileage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#4]
@HaroldManback

Any update on what you found out or decided to do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top