Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2022 11:18:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used straight razors for years. Get a good brush. Good soap. Geo trumpers or prosaso. Your stones need to be dead flat if you intend on trying to sharpen them.

Check out The Superior Shave. I've bought a ton from him over the 15 years. He's no bullshit.

It's a big learning curve, if you enjoy shaving straight  razors are where it's at.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Blood loss?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I shave in the shower. Straight razors don’t sound like a safe idea to me
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mfingar:
I shave in the shower. Straight razors don’t sound like a safe idea to me
View Quote

I used to shave in the shower, i the dark.  Even the back of my neck.  But not with a straight razor
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeDevola] [#8]
Crap, sorry, I thought I was posting in GD.

Carry on, good luck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
As someone else mentioned, you must keep your stones as flat as possible, you may also want to pick up a stone with one grade higher grit (10,000 or 12,000).

Honing a razor is practiacally an art form & is why some people charge a hefty amount to do it for you.  Comparitively speaking, learning to shave with a straight edge is easier than learning to properly hone one.  Plus, there's more to stropping than most people think.

What's not mentined in the shaving world is that in the good old days, about once a month, most gents would bring their razor with them to the barber on hair cut day and have him give it a quick honing/stropping for them.  This kept the edge well conditioned.  Today, we simply don't have that luxury.  We have a choice, either pay someone (a lot) to do it for us or learn to do it ourselves.

You say that you sharpened it but is wasn't sharp enough (common problem), you didn't spend enough time prepping on courser and intermediate grits to get your bevel set up perfect.  From time to time, use a jeweler's loop to inspect the edge to see how well the previous stone's scratches are being removed.  The final honing should show only abrasion marks from the last grit used.  At 8x or 10x, the bevel should look like a mirror with no raggedness to the edge or visible teeth/grooves/rough spots.  If you can see little saw teeth on the edge (even just a few) you are not there yet.  Those "teeth" are grabbing the hairs rather than slicing through them.

Also, don't test your edge on your arm.  The skin and hair hasn't been prepped for your edge and can damage it.

Usage, soak the stones in water for at least 10 min before use and keep them wet (liquid on the stone at all times) while honing, rinse the stone frequently.  Take the time to watch a few vedios on honing and stropping razors.  It is nothing like simply sharpening a knife.  

Keep your strop properly conditioned and clean.

Usage, prep, Prep, PREP!  Don't just smear on some lather and think you're gonna get a good shave.  Prepare you face and beard for shaving (lots of vedios out there).  You want that stubble as conditioned as possible for your straight razor to do its thing.  If you don't, it won't.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch lots of videos on sharpening...and yeah, you need a super-flat set of stones.  Get a flattening stone to keep 'em that way. Go Sloooooooow. This means you may have to refresh your lather, too.  It a great shave once you get it down, and results are the best I've ever had in terms of the shave and minimal skin irritation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Most people strop incorrectly. Don't roll the edge!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#12]
If you can get your razor good and sharp, it’s the best shave possible, in my experience. It takes awhile to get the hang of it, though, at least for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#13]
Shaving with a straight is waaaaay easier than learning on a shavette.....trust me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top