Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2023 10:10:11 AM EDT
Two things I enjoy but I'm still a beginner for both.

We have a gathering of men coming for the thanksgiving holiday and so the question is what are some known good pairings for a group of guys who haven't developed sophisticated palates?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#1]
“Usually” anything Connecticut or Sumatra will be mild and easy for beginner/occasional smokers. Just be sure to check reviews, some are not what they seem. Black Label Porcelain may be a Shade, but it’s definitely a medium-plus cigar.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
"Usually" anything Connecticut or Sumatra will be mild and easy for beginner/occasional smokers. Just be sure to check reviews, some are not what they seem. Black Label Porcelain may be a Shade, but it's definitely a medium-plus cigar.
View Quote

Mild is what we are targeting and Connecticut was popping up a bunch.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By whatarippa:

View Quote

You would be hard-pressed to find a finer example of a Connecticut Shade wrapped cigar than a Diamond Crown Natural.  The wrapper is aged for a minimum of 5 years and goes through several fermentations which results in a very smooth profile and a nice, sharp burn.  The #4 is the most popular site in this line and these are made for JC Newman by Arturo Fuente and feature a Dominican blend which is easy for all smokers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm probably in the very small minority, but I've found that the whiskeys I like (normally 100pf and up) usually wash out the majority of the flavors in a cigar.  My ideal pairing for a cigar are herbal teas, coffee, or ginger beer/ale.

With that said, I'd still enjoy a bourbon and cigar together at any given opportunity .......and I wouldn't shy away from an unconventional pairing.  Smoke/drink what you like!
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By whatarippa:

View Quote

A good portion of the Davidoff portfolio would fit the bill.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Crowned Heads Sfumato in C if you like cream and citrus hints.  A Dunbarton Trust Saka Stillwell Aromatic #1 if you want a dolce head.  The Stillwells use pipe tobacco so they’re a great departure from what most people have had in a cigar.  The dolce cigars can be the camel’s nose under the tent when it comes to newcomers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want light, just do something like Avo, CAO, Oliva, maybe a basic Ashton.

But if you want a good pairing, get a Liga Privada T52, Ashton VSG, Padron 1964, or something from the Fuente Hemingway line. If you like sweeter bourbon, maybe change to the Liga no 9, Oliva Melanio, Padron 1926. Something Maduro. Anything Opus X are excellent.

For bourbon, I rather enjoy Bulleit myself. It’s what bourbon should taste like at affordable pricing. I do still enjoy Woodford (sweeter) or Elijah Craig. I won’t argue with Basil Hayden, but I find it too smooth. Bourbon should have heat. Knob Creek is alright too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Arturo Fuente 858. Mild, but decent flavor for someone that already smokes.  Cigars vary so much, but this is a nice, safe all-around.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Does everyone enjoy Bourbon, if not Tequila also goes very well with Connecticut style wrappers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fly223:
Does everyone enjoy Bourbon, if not Tequila also goes very well with Connecticut style wrappers.
View Quote

Absolutely!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top