Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Halberdier]
I'm looking at this Panerai Luminor with 8 days of power reserve. Most Panerais are wind up. I'm looking at the automatic version. It's a unique watch and I really like the way it looks, but I'm worried about dropping $7-8k on what might be an outlier.

ETA: 30 ATM.

ETA2: This is the style I like best so far. It's an automatic with a 72 hour power reserve. it's 44mm, which is a good size for me.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Buying new from an AD, do not expect it to hold "value" if that matters to you.

Do you care to buy used?  If so, keep an eye on WatchRecon as Panerai is quite popular and many watches show up for sale (unlike some smaller or lesser known brands).  You can save quite a bit over new, but some people really like the AD experience and knowing it is new.

As to the brand, heir history is interesting, and I'm a dive watch fan, so I am immediately attracted to that aspect.  Sylvester Stallone really put them on the map and some will say that the Richemont buyout really affected the brand and the bang for the buck.

In the end, I'm a firm believer in buying what you like.  However, if the "bang for the buck" or "resale value" are important to you, then you're really limited to certain brands (Rolex and AP, mainly from what I've seen but I'm no expert).

I've had my eye on a few over the years, and as the economy continues to tumble the used prices might make it too tempting for me to pass up!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They are nice. May I suggest you call inventory adjusters in Phoenix and see what they can do for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#3]
That I'm aware of, most PAMs are NOT wind ups but autos. Maybe some of their retro throw backs and hand-helds.
I have a PAM 164 and got into them for a very brief amount of time. Mostly because of their history.
I have a couple Rolex's and a Omega along with the 164, and of all my watches, the PAM gets worn the least. I wear it maybe once a year.
The movement's are subpar for what you pay and I've never really liked how floppy the crown guard is when opened.
As far as looks go, the PAM is amazing, but as another poster mentions, they suck ass at holding value.

For the same amount of money you can get a newer style (I have the Orange Seasmaster Chrono) Omega and you will have far more enjoyment. The Omega's are bulletproof (the PAM scratches really easily) and their movement is superior IMO.

But for looks, you can't beat a PAM. Plus, there is a massive aftermarket leather band market and you can get some pretty cool ones for it. I have a thick vintage WWII leather ammo pouch band with crossed 1911s clasp.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I really liked how they look, and their use in the armed forces was pretty cool. However their new campaign of "buy a timepiece and we'll let you pretend to be an army dood" really turned me off to them recently.

That said, if you like it go nuts. I've seen some of those models used for like 60% of what you posted, and that seems like a better overall value.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I really liked how they look, and their use in the armed forces was pretty cool. However their new campaign of "buy a timepiece and we'll let you pretend to be an army dood" really turned me off to them recently.

That said, if you like it go nuts. I've seen some of those models used for like 60% of what you posted, and that seems like a better overall value.
View Quote

To be fair, I think it's the SEALs and considering Panerai was developed for the Italian Navy, it kinda makes sense. But agree, anytime you want to charge someone $20k for a watch so you can LARP SOCs style, it's dumb.
Course, I have a Mk18 and NODs... so guessing I've got no room to talk. Not like I'm out there kicking in doors nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a PAM 1000 the base model. I like them, but its probably going to go as 44mm is too big for my wrist.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

Do you care to buy used?  If so, keep an eye on WatchRecon as Panerai is quite popular and many watches show up for sale (unlike some smaller or lesser known brands).  You can save quite a bit over new, but some people really like the AD experience and knowing it is new.

As to the brand, heir history is interesting, and I'm a dive watch fan, so I am immediately attracted to that aspect.  Sylvester Stallone really put them on the map and some will say that the Richemont buyout really affected the brand and the bang for the buck.

In the end, I'm a firm believer in buying what you like.  However, if the "bang for the buck" or "resale value" are important to you, then you're really limited to certain brands (Rolex and AP, mainly from what I've seen but I'm no expert).

I've had my eye on a few over the years, and as the economy continues to tumble the used prices might make it too tempting for me to pass up!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

Originally Posted By NDHojo:
They are nice. May I suggest you call inventory adjusters in Phoenix and see what they can do for you.

I'm happy to buy used if I can get the white dial model above. Thanks for the resources.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pscipio03:
That I'm aware of, most PAMs are NOT wind ups but autos. Maybe some of their retro throw backs and hand-helds.
I have a PAM 164 and got into them for a very brief amount of time. Mostly because of their history.
I have a couple Rolex's and a Omega along with the 164, and of all my watches, the PAM gets worn the least. I wear it maybe once a year.
The movement's are subpar for what you pay and I've never really liked how floppy the crown guard is when opened.
As far as looks go, the PAM is amazing, but as another poster mentions, they suck ass at holding value.

For the same amount of money you can get a newer style (I have the Orange Seasmaster Chrono) Omega and you will have far more enjoyment. The Omega's are bulletproof (the PAM scratches really easily) and their movement is superior IMO.

But for looks, you can't beat a PAM. Plus, there is a massive aftermarket leather band market and you can get some pretty cool ones for it. I have a thick vintage WWII leather ammo pouch band with crossed 1911s clasp.

View Quote

I've seen one on a friend's wrist. He stopped wearing his Rolex after getting the Panerai. I liked it for the look and for having a unique design. I'm not sure I'm going to like the 16mm thickness, but buying used gives me a way out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

View Quote

So I should get a 'I'm a Navy SEAL' t-shirt to go with this? But frankly, I never heard of this and I'm pretty sure just about everyone else hasn't, so it's probably not an issue.

Where can I find these 60% bargains?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
I have a PAM 1000 the base model. I like them, but its probably going to go as 44mm is too big for my wrist.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure they make a 38mm model, too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:49:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_S] [#11]
I really like mine
And several of there models

But buy pre-owned
Let the first buyer take the hit.

Mine is a 40mm, but I have small wrists
I think the fold over crown guard, is what gives Panerai there distinct look

If you come up at with a budget if about 5k you will have A LOT of choices !

Some good deals out there be had on them

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Halberdier:

I'm pretty sure they make a 38mm model, too.I bought
View Quote
Yes, but I bought it before the smaller references were made.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]

I've seen one on a friend's wrist. He stopped wearing his Rolex after getting the Panerai. I liked it for the look and for having a unique design. I'm not sure I'm going to like the 16mm thickness, but buying used gives me a way out.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about the size or thickness.
One of my Rolex's is a Deepsea SeaDweller and it's WAY heavier than the PAM. It's smaller in diameter (forget the mm) but wears bigger than the wider PAM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The Pam 088 is on my list. The gray eSteel is sublime.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]

So I should get a 'I'm a Navy SEAL' t-shirt to go with this? But frankly, I never heard of this and I'm pretty sure just about everyone else hasn't, so it's probably not an issue.

Where can I find these 60% bargains?
View Quote

I hadn't seen that until it was on a WOE post, but struck me as a bit cringe. I own nods and armor and never served, so not sure my opinion is 100% valid, but still.

WatchUSeek, Reddit's Watch Exchange, and I would cruise the trusted reseller sights like chrono24 and whatnot. I haven't looked for the specific models you mention but has seen the brand under 3k.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:32:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pineywoodsbuck] [#16]
I've owned a couple, both were 111's one was the G model with the painted dial, and the other had the sandwich dial. I liked them but I traded one for a Pepsi Rolex GMT, the other one I sold
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#17]
For a watch that is so different than most I'd get a cheap homage first to see if I liked the fit.

SEAKOSS Men GMT 100m Diving Mechanical Watches Super Luminous Sapphire 2557 Automatic Movement Wristwatches Calendar Clock

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
For a watch that is so different than most I'd get a cheap homage first to see if I liked the fit.

SEAKOSS Men GMT 100m Diving Mechanical Watches Super Luminous Sapphire 2557 Automatic Movement Wristwatches Calendar Clock

View Quote

I really hate to give more money to China, but this is honestly not a bad idea.

I was really close to getting a 126660 without trying one on first....then an opportunity arose at an AD so I went there and tried it on (a 136660) and walked around a bit.  I'm very thankful I was able to do that.  Even though I love the look of the 126660 (James Cameron version), it was just too tall on my wrist and it was quite heavy as well.  I've found that the 15mm thickness of my 16600 is about all I can tolerate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mall-Ninja] [#19]
They have a very interesting history, and a really distinctive look. Here’s my PAM 1359:

Attachment Attached File

44mm dial, and it looked huge on my wrist when I first got it. It’s grown on me a lot. I wear it during the warm months, when bracelets give me a rash.

They’ve been bought out by a behemoth, and I’ve been told that it dilutes the brand since they now use “off the shelf” movements.

However, that’s been part of their history too - the 1930s originals’ movements and cases came from Rolex.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Great watch with a great history…

But I just don’t like them, want a dive bezel, hate watches with gimmicky crown locks, etc. so I don’t have one.

My ideal watch would probably be one of the current Tudor sub cases, with a Ranger dial, and Rolex Sub sword hands.
Or a 1968’ish SM300 style/look completely new.  But someone may not like those.  Preferences are subjective.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:06:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Halberdier] [#21]
A couple of updates.

The particular model I want to buy (LINK) is not available used anywhere that I can find. The lowest price I saw was gray market at 20% off. I don't want to spend this kind of money and not get exactly what I want. So I guess I just have to pay that price. ETA: It may only be a 3-day reserve. Different info in different places.

Also, as far as I could find out at least, this new line of automatics they came out with is outfitted with a movement that left out hacking. Panerai apparently even acknowledges that they dropped the ball on this, and the expectation is that they will fix it sometime in the near future. Anyone else hear this? I'll wait for the fix if that's the case, but I hope the 8-day reserve is still going to be there.

And a final twist. I received a shipment notice from a carrier with the package coming from something called Time for Watches. Thing is, I never ordered anything from them. I looked them up and they sell some high end watches, including Panerai. Now I'm wondering if this friend, who's really just someone I'm about to do business with, decided to order one for me since I told him I liked it so much. That would really suck, since I'll be stuck with it and it's not the model I want now.

ETA: No hacking confirmed at 4:25.

? Panerai Luminor Marina Specchio Blu Stainless Steel 44mm Blue Dial Bracelet PAM01316 - REVIEW
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#22]
A couple of updates.

The particular model I want to buy (LINK) is not available used anywhere that I can find. The lowest price I saw was gray market at 20% off. I don't want to spend this kind of money and not get exactly what I want. So I guess I just have to pay that price. ETA: It may only be a 3-day reserve. Different info in different places.

Also, as far as I could find out at least, this new line of automatics they came out with is outfitted with a movement that left out hacking. Panerai apparently even acknowledges that they dropped the ball on this, and the expectation is that they will fix it sometime in the near future. Anyone else hear this? I'll wait for the fix if that's the case, but I hope the 8-day reserve is still going to be there.

And a final twist. I received a shipment notice from a carrier with the package coming from something called Time for Watches. Thing is, I never ordered anything from them. I looked them up and they sell some high end watches, including Panerai. Now I'm wondering if this friend, who's really just someone I'm about to do business with, decided to order one for me since I told him I liked it so much. That would really suck, since I'll be stuck with it and it's not the model I want now.
View Quote

THIS model?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

THIS model?
View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

Yes. 10% off at Chrono24. 20% off at Jomashop. That's all I could find.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

Did you try Watchrecon.com
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

None there. It's a relatively new model. It doesn't look like anyone is ready to sell theirs yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]

None there. It's a relatively new model. It doesn't look like anyone is ready to sell theirs yet.
View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

Will this scratch your itch?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:34:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#27]
I have a 1359, and I like it, but I would never pay the price for a new one, and I think their somewhat recent history isn't great.

I would put them somewhere around a TAG or a B&R in terms of quality, which means the prices they ask for many of their models is absurd.

Regarding their history - they've been caught in the past using cheap off the shelf movements and selling the watches for silly prices, hiding the internals behind solid casebacks (read up on the 318 model debacle).

My particular model got a subtle update mid-year 2020, where they finished the internals to a lower level, and got rid of the hacking seconds, all without updating potential buyers.  When I bought mine, I looked hard for a pre-June 2020 model because it is finished a little nicer.

I think they have some good looking models, but the value isn't there for me.  I love the appearance of their carbotech models with the tan and blue details, but I wouldn't risk buying it with their history.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
For me the problem is they have like four (just throwing a number out there) basic designs and a thousand variants off those four designs. And to be honest, most of their basic designs aren't all that different from one another, at least that's how it appears to me. In general a Panerai is a Panerai is a Panerai with few exceptions.

However if you look at Omega - Speedmaster, Seamaster, Deville, Aqua Terra, Railmaster, Globemaster, Constellation... there are noticeable style differences that are significant.

Likewise, Rolex has the Submariner, Yacht Master, Air King, Cellini, Datejust/DayDate, Explorer, Oyster Perpetual, Skydweller, Daytona... mostly very distinguishable.

It could just be me because I like Panerai but don't love it, so maybe the subtle nuances just aren;t enough for me to go oh cool this is an XYZ whatever and it is different from the ABC because.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

That's an interesting find. If I can order the bracelet from Panerai, it saves a bunch. However, I'm holding off for now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
For me the problem is they have like four (just throwing a number out there) basic designs and a thousand variants off those four designs. And to be honest, most of their basic designs aren't all that different from one another, at least that's how it appears to me. In general a Panerai is a Panerai is a Panerai with few exceptions.

However if you look at Omega - Speedmaster, Seamaster, Deville, Aqua Terra, Railmaster, Globemaster, Constellation... there are noticeable style differences that are significant.

Likewise, Rolex has the Submariner, Yacht Master, Air King, Cellini, Datejust/DayDate, Explorer, Oyster Perpetual, Skydweller, Daytona... mostly very distinguishable.

It could just be me because I like Panerai but don't love it, so maybe the subtle nuances just aren;t enough for me to go oh cool this is an XYZ whatever and it is different from the ABC because.
View Quote

So many people around me wear Rolexes and they all look the same. Omega is a different story. They have some watches I actually like. But Panerai is that only one that really does something for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
I have a 1359, and I like it, but I would never pay the price for a new one, and I think their somewhat recent history isn't great.

I would put them somewhere around a TAG or a B&R in terms of quality, which means the prices they ask for many of their models is absurd.

Regarding their history - they've been caught in the past using cheap off the shelf movements and selling the watches for silly prices, hiding the internals behind solid casebacks (read up on the 318 model debacle).

My particular model got a subtle update mid-year 2020, where they finished the internals to a lower level, and got rid of the hacking seconds, all without updating potential buyers.  When I bought mine, I looked hard for a pre-June 2020 model because it is finished a little nicer.

I think they have some good looking models, but the value isn't there for me.  I love the appearance of their carbotech models with the tan and blue details, but I wouldn't risk buying it with their history.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1671241127526-3173400.jpg
View Quote

I've done a lot of looking around yesterday and it helped me decide that I'm not buying this current movement, for the exact reasons you cited. Apparently Panerai is aware of the backlash and they plan to do something about it. I'll wait for that to happen before buying anything. I don't believe the style I like is available with the older/better movement.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I've owned 3 and currently have a PAN 299 its pretty high on the rotation with my Deep sea its a classic look not everyone notices it unlike a rolly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#33]
This is just me, but I hate that crown lock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]

That's an interesting find. If I can order the bracelet from Panerai, it saves a bunch. However, I'm holding off for now.
View All Quotes
A couple of updates.

THIS model?

@halberdier Tempting…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1671241127526-3173400.jpg
View Quote

Wow, I had no idea that they cut corners and finishing, even within a production run. This is scandalous. Mine is a 2019 date code, but I didn’t pick it up until late 2020, after the “update.”

Who doesn’t have hacking seconds?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Since homages have already been mentioned. I was obsessed with Panerai until I got an homage and I discovered that I just didn't like the styling. Also as it turned out I bought that watch at a particularly bad time in my life health wise and I wound up giving it away as it seemed like a bad luck charm to me.

Of course this is an entirely personal experience. But a big part of being a watch enthusiast seems to be finding out what you like and don't like. Panerai is definitely a very distinct flavor of watch that is not for everyone. Those who do seem to really like theirs though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

Wow, I had no idea that they cut corners and finishing, even within a production run. This is scandalous. Mine is a 2019 date code, but I didn't pick it up until late 2020, after the "update."

Who doesn't have hacking seconds?
View Quote
My Zenith doesn't have hacking seconds as it's a remake from 1969 when hacking was for sissies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#38]
My Speedy doesn't either.  Maybe the autos do, but the handwinds do not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I had one for a while.  It kept incredible time.  For me the style of the bezel, the fact that it probably had 60 clicks per revolution so as to be slightly imprecise, and the lack of minute hashes on face of the model I had (PAM 025) made it difficult to use the bezel as a timer for minutes accurately, which I do frequently, or did, with every traditional watch I've owned for the last 30 years.

So, after a while I sold it.  Great watch otherwise.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Buy a well made fake.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TheAffiliate:
Buy a well made fake.
View Quote

I'm not gonna do that. If Panerai gets their movement issue corrected, I'm going to buy the exact watch I posted. If not, I might go for an older model, if I can find one I like as much.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Since homages have already been mentioned. I was obsessed with Panerai until I got an homage and I discovered that I just didn't like the styling. Also as it turned out I bought that watch at a particularly bad time in my life health wise and I wound up giving it away as it seemed like a bad luck charm to me.

Of course this is an entirely personal experience. But a big part of being a watch enthusiast seems to be finding out what you like and don't like. Panerai is definitely a very distinct flavor of watch that is not for everyone. Those who do seem to really like theirs though.
View Quote

I got to handle one in person. I know I'm going to like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheAffiliate:
Buy a well made fake.
View Quote

That’s one thing thats hurt Panerai’s popularity in the past 10 years,
They are one of the most faked watch brands that are made so close to the original that  paneraitis can distinguish the fakes from the reals
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Pam 297 tied up in Customs. Fucking DHL. Can’t wait to get it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top