Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/13/2024 3:50:38 PM EDT
WTH is wrong with them? They just walk by like you were supposed to hold the door for them. It pisses me off.

What so hard about saying “thank you”?

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
How much to tip the door man?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I loudly say “you are welcome”.  If I see them again in the store and we cross paths I don't move.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]

What about when you offer cologne or a hot towel?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't do it for a "thanks", I do it because I am a nice person.... sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't do it to get thank you's.  You do it because its a civil and polite thing to do.  I appreciate when people do say thanks, but my opening the door doesn't confer an obligation on their part to thank me.  Again, that would be the polite response but I'm not going to get bent out of shape that they don't.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
I loudly say “you are welcome”.  If I see them again in the store and we cross paths I don't move.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Some old ppl get a pass from me because I think they are too busy breathing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:
You don't do it to get thank you's.  You do it because its a civil and polite thing to do.  I appreciate when people do say thanks, but my opening the door doesn't confer an obligation on their part to thank me.  Again, that would be the polite response but I'm not going to get bent out of shape that they don't.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmxterra] [#9]
View Quote

Yup.
Happened this morning at the Vet. Some blue hair old bag. Was coming out with our 68# dog. She had two cats in carriers. I held the door and not so much as a nod. Said 'YOU'RE WELCOME" as I still held the door. She just looked at me like I was wearing a MAGA hat. Crazy cat lady.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
WTH is wrong with them? They just walk by like you were supposed to hold the door for them. It pisses me off.

View Quote

Never had that happen once here in the states.  

In China however?  Rudest effing assholes on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Doing something nice for other people is its own reward.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
...are assholes.

And as someone who has done it for others my entire life with a smile on my face, in todays world, if they don't say "thanks" or acknowledge in some way, I reply with a fuck you & a finger (still smile though).
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it really pisses me off when people do not acknowledge courtesy. Modern “civilization”
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

No you don’t.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:

Yup.
Happened this morning at the Vet. Some blue hair old bag. Was coming out with our 68# dog. She had two cats in carriers. I held the door and not so much as a nod. Said 'YOU'RE WELCOME" as I still held the door. She just looked at me like I was wearing a MAGA hat. Crazy cat lady.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup.

I’ll take “things that never happened” for $1000 Alex
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless it was me holding the door for my ex-wife she would get mad and tell me about how some guy was sexist thinking she couldn't do it herself......
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Never do a good deed because you are expecting something in return.

If they don't say Thank You it's a reflection on them and their upbringing. I just move on with my life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had more than 3 or 4 people walk right in and not say anything. There were more comming in, I let go of the door and kept on walking.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

No you don’t.
View Quote

Sorry pal but I was raised to be polite and not take shit.  

We are at where we are in society cause some posters have more estrogen then testosterone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
If they don't say "Thank you", I always loudly say "You're WELCOME!"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]

If you're doing it to get a thank you why bother?    Just curious......Do you also monitor for assholes on the road and then punish them?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I just assume they are assholes and say you're welcome. Some people get a pass, most don't. The ones that get a pass are the older folks that make eye contact and nod or acknowledge in one way or another.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: silane] [#23]
People who say "you're welcome" are just as bad as the people that they bitch about not saying thank you.

Keep moving and don't talk to me.

ETA: most of the time I'm on a call of some sort for work and multi tasking. I'm likely not saying thank you because I'm in the middle of something important to me, but I will mute my call to say "go fuck yourself" to the "you're welcome" assholes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Low-Cap:
Yeah it really pisses me off when people do not acknowledge courtesy. Modern “civilization”
View Quote

I agree. Its another symptom of our cultural slide to the bottom. I've noticed that people rarely say thank you for anything anymore.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JohnPublic:

This
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnPublic:

This

Sometimes they deserve a “Bless your heart”
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#26]
don't ever expect something in return, ever

besides ladies, the reason most men, ok the reason ALL men hold a door for you is so they can check out dat ass when you walk past

wha?...i'm the only one brave enough to say it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:

View Quote

Yanks....
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I don’t notice if they say anything or not. I held open the door and hope it made their day just a tiny bit brighter. Other than that I move on with my plans.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Yup.

Yeah, that's totally not plausible
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

@JaredC1
Just because you don’t have the balls to call out asshats like that. Does not mean others don’t.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The entitled ones who think you opened the door for them and bolt through while you're trying to piss me off more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:39:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#32]
Good luck finding anyone who even holds a door for you anymore.

The "older" people on the east coast are the only ones that will do it reliably.

I find women are the most notorious at walking by and trying to not make eye contact and never says thanks. Age doesn't matter. Like they expect it, I expect it, but Ialso says thank you and speed up my stride every single time.

Automated doors, cell phones, and acting important have made people complete douchebags.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Currently there are folks actively trying to destroy our way of life in the USA, to include courtesy, manners, politeness, etc...

Obviously there are now many folks who weren't raised this way, or are new to the USA, or have just given up on being polite.

If they don't say "Thank you" after you show them a courtesy, don't get mad, but consider it an obligation and a kindness upon the rude individual to bring their discourtesy to their attention by saying "You're Welcome".  Then let it go and don't give it a thought until the next time it happens.  Even if they have a rude comeback.  Obviously we don't do it to be rewarded with a thanks.  We hold the door because it's the right thing to do.

Also maybe consider it as a peaceful way to "fight back" against those that would try to destroy our country.

I've never done this before, I've always just said nothing and gone on.  But I'm going to start doing this from now on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#35]

@JaredC1
Just because you don’t have the balls to call out asshats like that. Does not mean others don’t.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/156207/IMG_5884_jpeg-3213529.JPG
View All Quotes

@JaredC1

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/156207/IMG_5884_jpeg-3213529.JPG

Lol. It’s not about balls.

Also I never said I didn’t believe you went to the Vet.

I also fully believe someone may not have said thank you and your fragile feelings were hurt.

Unlikely the rest of the shit happened though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

You must not get out much.

I not only say "you're welcome", but will carry on half of a conversation with them as I'm walking behind.  "I'm doing well today; how are you?" ---no response--- "Yeah we have have a lot of rain lately.  It is good for the lawn, though" ---no response---  "you have a great day too!"

My wife hates it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

lol This. It doesn't bug me one bit, and I go about the rest of my day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

this!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I loudly say “you are welcome asshole” as they walk thru.  If I see them again in the store and we cross paths I don't move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I get to see this from the other side. My GF has a handicap tag and walks with a walker. I keep a wheelchair in the trunk of my car. We use that for places like a fair, mall, large store where we do not feel like dealing with the provided store scooters. It's interesting to see people go out of their way to hold the door open for her while others see us coming and time it to avoid us.

I do not care if someone says thank you to me if I hold the door open for them, but I always thank people who hold the door open for me or her.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#41]

We are at where we are in society cause some posters have more estrogen then testosterone.
View All Quotes

No you don’t.

People being petty and passive aggressive seems more like estrogen driven behavior, but whatever. Sure it’s rude of them to not acknowledge someone being kind to them, but they also don’t owe you anything.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm introverted and give brief eye contact and a respectful nod.

Speaking words? With a stranger? Probably not. I won't disrespect a guy. My thanks will be known unless they don't recognize unspoken communication.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

You are the type of person I will loudly exclam how thankful I am that you moved out of the way so I can pass buy so that people stop and stare at the whole mess unfolding.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
If they don't say "Thank you", I always loudly say "You're WELCOME!"
View Quote

If they don't say Thank You I give them a "Sweeping Leg Kick"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#45]
If they don't say thank you, I jump on their back and start stabbing them with a ball point pen while making noises like the killer doll from the "Trilogy of terror" movie.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Yup.

Nope, totally have gotten that look by some entitled retard when doing the same thing as the OP.

Sometimes it turns into an argument of who will hold the door open for who because everyone involved wants to be polite.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#47]

These threads always crack me up. You held a door open, you didn't cure cancer. I usually acknowledge the gesture but I pay no attention if I'm the one holding the door because I'm not a petty silly bitch.  

I'm just a run-of-the-mill bitch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#49]

I'll take "things that never happened" for $1000 Alex
View All Quotes
I loudly say "you are welcome".  If I see them again in the store and we cross paths I don't move.

Yup.

I'll take "things that never happened" for $1000 Alex

I've come to the conclusion that most of the claims posted in GD never happened.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Low-Cap:
View Quote

civility died 50 years ago...

civilization..maybe 5 more years and it's tits up too
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top