Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the final photograph of the notorious Uruguayan Flight 571, taken just before it met with disaster in the Andes on October 13, 1972. Of the 45 people on board, 27 initially survived the crash. Facing extreme conditions for survival, they were compelled to resort to cannibalism. Ultimately, of the 27 who survived the initial crash, 16 were rescued after 72 days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doublecheez:

Sorry.  Figured every one knew about that one.   If I’m correct they only made 2 XB-70s. Saw the other one in Dayton OH.  Kind of sobering to see it.
View Quote

Everyone does know.  

Tunnel testing with smoke happen back then on scale models of experimental ac?

I wonder.  And if calculated: shared, briefed/ warned for test flights.

Is that not the largest delta winged surface area ever flown?  (. Looks
Like it, not that I know air would roll another ac with vortex).

Invisible dangers at the time of accident?

It Looks like Joe Walker is someone to Google.  Will do that,. Hopefully later today.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
This man made a video the moment before he was killed.
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

@MADMAXXX

Good one

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By realwar:

Yep, they lost hydraulics and were flying the plane by engine thrust.
View Quote

I don't recall seeing that still pic with car coming at photographer.

Wow,. Aren't the main gear supposed to be angled up for rear wheel touchdown?

I recall the phugoid cycle got them on landing but wonder if no hydraulics in main gear was contributor to breakup.?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By twoisone:

I was in the Mandalay at dinner.
View Quote

I was staying in Mandalay for a conference. Had SWAT let themselves into my room to search while I was in bed hours after the shooting when they still thought his girlfriend was involved and they were doing room to room searches.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Whamo:

The Spoiler!! Holy Crap!!!
View Quote

OMG,.   I'm sorry for member.  ( I wonder if he was belted or lap child? / Seat?)

I was in high school at the time and my father was on a trip flying the tri-star to Ohare iirc,.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
U.S. twin-engine transport Caribou crashes after being hit by American artillery near Ha Phan Vietnam on August 3, 1967. U.S. artillery accidentally shot down the ammunition-laden plane, which crossed a firing zone while trying to land at the U.S. Special Forces camp. All three crewman died in the crash.  

RIP aviators,.  There was a few arty incidents were there not?

https://i.postimg.cc/zXdjyhVg/Caribou-Ha-Thahn.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I watched it happen from few miles away.    

View Quote

I was in Davie, in history class, we went outside, then came back in, the class was pretty bent of shape with the news.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Requiem:

@twoisone  Did you hear the shots or commotion going on?

(disclaimer:  I have no idea where/how close Mandalay was to the concert, so it might be a dumb question)
View Quote

Mandalay Bay is the hotel where the shooter was shooting from.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Yep. Sister and two brothers if I remember correctly...

ETA: Brothers and sister taking photos. Little brother on the left killed by the lightning strike.

NBC Article on it
View Quote

Had something very similar happen to me and my BIL.  We topped out a multi pitch rock climb and as we stood up on top our hair also stood up.  It was clear skies around us with the exception of one lone thunderstorm about 10 miles away.  Needless to say we did not stick around to enjoy the view.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Treadwell.
View Quote

No immediate pictures of Treadwell just before he was eaten that I am aware of but there are ones after.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:

I remember that-happened in Idaho.  

Former CIA C-130.  The maintenance records weren't released for National security reasons.  C-130 was therefore acquired "as is".  I had a LCpl in the company whose father used to fly that bird for the Forest Service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Tanker 130, the second the wings come off of the fuselage.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.Po1RQivKBCKme3WIF89tWAHaEK?rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain

I remember that-happened in Idaho.  

Former CIA C-130.  The maintenance records weren't released for National security reasons.  C-130 was therefore acquired "as is".  I had a LCpl in the company whose father used to fly that bird for the Forest Service.

It was an A-model that had not had the reinforced wing spars.

Happened 2 weeks before I was rotating home, and going right on the MAFFS line. Scared the hell out of my wife. I had to explain just why and how it happened to that particular aircraft, and how our rules dictated the fuel load in the wings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

SUMIT38, 1995, near Bliss, after transporting firefighters. The #2 engine failed. The turbine assembly departed the aircraft and passed through the wing, causing it to fail.
View Quote

SUMIT 38 went down 2 years before I joined the squadron.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#15]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:

I recall the phugoid cycle got them on landing but wonder if no hydraulics in main gear was contributor to breakup.?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:

Yep, they lost hydraulics and were flying the plane by engine thrust.

The landing gear configuration did not contribute to the breakup. The right wing struck first (part of the phugoid cycle you mentioned) causing the plane to cartwheel.The plane was also traveling at 250 mph, 90 mph over the recommended landing speed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Japan Airlines Flight 123 (12 Aug 1985)

Picture taken moments before crash

Reconstruction pic

Japan Airlines Flight 123 was a Japan Airlines domestic flight from Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) to Osaka International Airport (Itami). The Boeing 747-SR46 that made this route, registered JA8119, suffered mechanical failures 12 minutes into flight and 32 minutes later crashed into two ridges of Mount Takamagahara in Ueno, Gunma Prefecture, 100 kilometers from Tokyo, on Monday 12 August 1985. The crash site was on Osutaka Ridge near Mount Osutaka. All 15 crew members and 505 out of 509 passengers died, resulting in a total of 520 deaths and 4 survivors. It remains the deadliest single-aircraft accident in history.

Inside The Deadliest Single-Aircraft Disaster Ever | Last Moments

Cockpit Voice Recorder and ATC Audio

REAL Cockpit Voice Recorder and ATC.JAPAN AIRLINES 123 CRASH (12 Aug 1985). REAL ATC

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:34:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elmer_Fudd_Gantry] [#17]
View Quote

Is that the one were Boeing fucked up the repair of the rear pressure bulkhead?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:1400/0*5PkJD9FchEBduzRl

https://imgr1.flugrevue.de/image-article169Gallery-1523c228-2026660.jpeg

Reconstruction pic
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F03KVCbXsAE3vWM.jpg:large

Japan Airlines Flight 123 was a Japan Airlines domestic flight from Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) to Osaka International Airport (Itami). The Boeing 747-SR46 that made this route, registered JA8119, suffered mechanical failures 12 minutes into flight and 32 minutes later crashed into two ridges of Mount Takamagahara in Ueno, Gunma Prefecture, 100 kilometers from Tokyo, on Monday 12 August 1985. The crash site was on Osutaka Ridge near Mount Osutaka. All 15 crew members and 505 out of 509 passengers died, resulting in a total of 520 deaths and 4 survivors. It remains the deadliest single-aircraft accident in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j71TkVv2q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jhqvjPp-jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSW4Tiuhro

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:1400/0*-nXXB9qqR9JDFzCF
View Quote
The 747 that Boeing fucked up the bulkhead repair.  As I recall, the CEO of Boeing went to Japan to personally apologize for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Elmer_Fudd_Gantry:

Is that the one we’re Boeing fucked up the repair of the rear pressure bulkhead?
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

Is that the one we’re Boeing fucked up the repair of the rear pressure bulkhead?

Yep.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/JA8119_Bulkhead_Repair_en.png

WTF
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Requiem:

@twoisone  Did you hear the shots or commotion going on?

(disclaimer:  I have no idea where/how close Mandalay was to the concert, so it might be a dumb question)
View Quote

@Requiem I was off the lobby in the shooter's hotel.  I never heard gunfire, but after it started, a bunch of people came running into the lobby and someone said there was a shooting on the street.  About 5 minutes later, our waiter came to the table and said we'd go out the back entrance.  I spent most of the night in the Mandalay basement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AZJeff:

The shooter in that picture was a SVN police officer, and his family had been killed by VC sappers that day.  He was in no mood to deal with any sort of prisoners from captured VC (and rightfully so.)
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

No immediate pictures of Treadwell just before he was eaten that I am aware of but there are ones after.
View Quote

Treadwell had no gun.  IIRC, there is audio of his death taken by his GF who recorded it from inside the tent where they were sleeping.  She was killed as well.  Neither the audio nor the post-mortem photos have ever been publicly released.   There is, however, a written account of the audio published by someone who claims to have listened to it during the investigation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tweightwee:

As a father of daughters,  this one kills me.
View Quote

I don’t have daughters and that’s still the most disturbing photo I think I’ve ever seen. Rage and heartbreak flows through me when I see it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

WTF
View Quote

This shows the bulkhead repair failure

JAL 123 Stayed Airborne for 30 Minutes Without its Tail Fin ?? Air Disasters | Smithsonian Channel

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

WTF

This shows the bulkhead repair failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n8uO_rgpVk

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32274/Screenshot_2024-04-25_at_17-37-21_JAL_12-3197913.JPG

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By doublecheez:

Sorry.  Figured every one knew about that one.   If I’m correct they only made 2 XB-70s. Saw the other one in Dayton OH.  Kind of sobering to see it.
View Quote

That's true. Only 2 made and the remaining one is at the Air Force museum in Dayton.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:46:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Greenhorn] [#28]

So two rows of rivets lock the two sections into place as a single unit, creating no one stress point for metal fatigue, but a single row forms a pivot line that the metal can flex around, correct?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TLWrench] [#29]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:
Kamikaze attack on USS Missouri, 1945.
Only really a disaster for the pilot though, no casualties onboard the ship.
https://media.sciencephoto.com/image/c0354354/800wm/C0354354-Japanese_Kamikaze_attack_on_USS_Missouri,_1945.jpg
View Quote
Missouri still has the dent evidencing exactly where that kamikaze hit. Here's more on the strike:
https://www.kamikazeimages.net/museums/missouri/
Photo below by Flickr user jrmosier3 :

Photo below from previously cited Missouri kamikaze attack webpage .

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

So two rows of rivets lock the two sections into place as a single unit, creating no one stress point for metal fatigue, but a single row forms a pivot line that the metal can flex around, correct?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

From the image posted above, correct repair would be 3 rows of rivets, in such a way that the repaired area would be at least two plates in thickness. But the technicians cut the splice plate in such a way that the third row of rivets (left side) did nothing. Despite this, the repair lasted 7 years and 12,318 flights. I recall this should have been caught during the many inspections in those 7 years, as there was extensive nicotine staining (smoking was allowed on flights back then) where the bulkhead failed.

Image from previous post:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Is that the one we're Boeing fucked up the repair of the rear pressure bulkhead?

Yep.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/JA8119_Bulkhead_Repair_en.png

Holy shit. I'm not a professional, but I do enough about leverage and general mechanical/structural principals to know that you need to properly support and secure the structure of anything you build or modify.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greenhorn] [#33]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
From the image posted above, correct repair would be 3 rows of rivets, in such a way that the repaired area would be at least two plates in thickness. But the technicians cut the splice plate in such a way that the third row of rivets (left side) did nothing. Despite this, the repair lasted 7 years and 12,318 flights. I recall this should have been caught during the many inspections in those 7 years, as there was extensive nicotine staining (smoking was allowed on flights back then) where the bulkhead failed.

Image from previous post:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/187830/IMG_7841_png-3198606.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, looks like the bottom metal sheet can freely pivot and flex around the middle line of rivets, with absolutely nothing to reinforce it.  The rivet line on the right is accomplishing nothing, and the one on the right is accomplishing very little.  All the stress is on the middle line.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#34]
From the other DC-4 thread.  Rip.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

We watched them load that plane and start it up for its last flight at Jeffco Airport (now Rocky Mtn Regional).
The pilot waved to my youngest son and it really stoked him.
I had to tell him the next morning that it had went down with all souls lost.
He was devastated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

We watched them load that plane and start it up for its last flight at Jeffco Airport (now Rocky Mtn Regional).
The pilot waved to my youngest son and it really stoked him.
I had to tell him the next morning that it had went down with all souls lost.
He was devastated.
View Quote

I was at the Jeffco Airport airshow when that F-86 went down.  It entered a split S too low and didn't have room to pull out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#37]

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:1400/0*5PkJD9FchEBduzRl

https://imgr1.flugrevue.de/image-article169Gallery-1523c228-2026660.jpeg

Reconstruction pic
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F03KVCbXsAE3vWM.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j71TkVv2q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jhqvjPp-jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSW4Tiuhro

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fit:1400/0*-nXXB9qqR9JDFzCF
View Quote

Try to watch this computer recreation of JAL 123 (including CVR tape) and not feel it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

Treadwell had no gun.  IIRC, there is audio of his death taken by his GF who recorded it from inside the tent where they were sleeping.  She was killed as well.  Neither the audio nor the post-mortem photos have ever been publicly released.   There is, however, a written account of the audio published by someone who claims to have listened to it during the investigation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
Originally Posted By CTM1:

I’ve heard the recording, my good buddy was the local biologist here in Kodiak and another friend was a technician for US Fish and Wildlife Service. He was in on killing the bear. What I remember from the tape was Treadwell yelling at his girlfriend to hit him with a frying pan and the girl screaming like an injured rabbit predator call. The pictures I saw showed some part of Treadwell’s body in the bears stomach and his T-shirt. Pretty grim
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Reno AT-6 Fatal Midair Sept 2023

Reno AT-6 Midair UPDATE 22 Sept 2023
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
https://i.imgur.com/CqTYHKm.jpg
View Quote

The moment USA gasped its last breath?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:

Knowing the backstory, the second image haunts me badly.
View Quote

Yeah, me too, poor kid.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

If I recall, they were never ID'd and someone found the pic in a parking lot or gas station
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#43]

9-11
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top