[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I had that exact unit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]

I had the Plymouth badged version of that truck. It would not die. Something eventually blew in the engine and it sounded like hell, but it still ran. I gave it away to charity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The 90's were nothing compared to the mutha fuggin 80's, Best decade in the history of mankind.
View Quote

And that’s a fact Jack
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for posting that.

My groin started hurting just remembering trying to turn one of those things around on a gravel road that was narrower than the bikes turning radius. I thought it was a good idea to goose the throttle and slide the rear end around. The bike didn’t go down, but my boys did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have eaten at that Carl's Jrs in the top picture.
It was about a week before all the shit went down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wow what was it like back then,
What was the atmosphere like?
I was only 10 when the riots went down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Mount St. Helens
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Not all change is bad
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
We were at one time all AMERICANS!!!
Now we are each others enemies!
Putin sure did a job on this country!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#13]

I don't think faces were that disfigured for most of us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]

But which is easier for the thief to carry out of your house?

Just remembering the weight of some of those old in a box tv sets makes my spine compress.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When on his deathbed, my grandpa told me of when they had to run Indians off our farm.  The night before he died, he had a dream that little indians were running up his stomach shooting guns and arrows at him.  

He was a homesteader settled the farm in 1872, back before South Dakota was a state, m Great Grandpa was off the boat from Germany and so there were lots and lots of stories of how much had changed from when he was born to 92 years later when he died.  Lots of stories of things that came and went and came back again only new in description.  No running water until the late 40s, before that it was go out to the well and pump what was needed.

What he said about everything from switching to Federal reserve cash from Real metal money to making his own drink in Prohibition and how bad the farm was in the Depression where dirt was everywhere, he was lucky and made it through but he also drilled wells in addition to farming and keeping cattle and chickens and helped in construction when it was needed and many trades to stay above water so he wouldn't lose the land and house.  He luckily didn't owe anything on it as he inherited it from Great grandpa, but  back in the depression there were "City people" pushing to buy for a lot of money (in depression era money value, a pittance in reality), taking advantage of scarcity, same as always.

Things got more comfortable and he loved the luxury of having a color TV and his leather recliner in a relatively modest 3 room house my mom grew up in before he was 80.  Mom was born in 1925 so had lots more detailed stories to tell, like holding a lantern while going to school so she could be found if she got off track, that was in the bad days of the depression and dust bowl era but it wasn't always, she just carried it with her in case it turned windy.  Everything was brown dirt and scrub plants, no nice gridded out roads like now, just paths wagons took and they sort of spaced them out between churches and small towns 15 miles apart were a walk away.  No cars really around until after WW II, but tractors were a big thing that helped the farm.  One old truck is what the family had and it had the well drilling equipment on the back.  People walked to church or the richer ones would drive but it was only like 4 blocks away, as the town kind of grew next to the farm, it made the western border of the town.

The massive changes from Grandpa's stories to now are just unbelievable.  Literally oral history from Old West to the 1960s from grandpa and great depression to Obama from mom.   What is assumed and taken for granted and required has skyrocketed.  The idea of a 2 income family was only for people in debt and they were black sheep.   Moms stayed home and took care of the kids and cooked and cleaned.  A very comfortable lifestyle could be had with one income up until the 90s. (or 70s, depending on location)  The transition from radio to TV to color TV and then electronic computers in a house (rather than a job title a person had as 'computer') seemed like science fiction level advancement.  Just what I've seen since the 70s compresses all those changes and more, too much to even list.   Kids today talking about how they're immediately put in debt holes only a lucky few can escape are right, it's gotten worse, but not insurmountable if you have the will to not jump on every luxury fad for phone benchmark bragging rights.  Handing out credit cards like candy and college a requirement to get student loans hooked really tempts the young ones who have it all figured out, except the money part.

Freedom is nothing but lip service anymore.  We talk about it but have to wait for the right time of year or license or go to a different part of the state or a different state to legally do something, and all of it is 100% monitored, if your phone isn't tracking you, your car is covering it, if you're off that net that's a red flag and a reason to inspect your life with personal information and behavior data Hoover's FBI would have killed a few thousand people to get.

So, little has changed, other than the distance in swings from low to high, greatly expanded, really easy to lose it all with the wrong tweet.  From political right to left, everything is hyper-polarized and people group and love or hate something and everybody has to agree, thus splitting up a common group into many arguing factions which then miss all the details while worrying about a big picture they can't control anyway.   Same thing, just the polarization and number of groups and the chasms between them has grown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoL

Y’all act like running water has always been a thing and Indian attacks were just stuff that happened on TV

When on his deathbed, my grandpa told me of when they had to run Indians off our farm.  The night before he died, he had a dream that little indians were running up his stomach shooting guns and arrows at him.  

He was a homesteader settled the farm in 1872, back before South Dakota was a state, m Great Grandpa was off the boat from Germany and so there were lots and lots of stories of how much had changed from when he was born to 92 years later when he died.  Lots of stories of things that came and went and came back again only new in description.  No running water until the late 40s, before that it was go out to the well and pump what was needed.

What he said about everything from switching to Federal reserve cash from Real metal money to making his own drink in Prohibition and how bad the farm was in the Depression where dirt was everywhere, he was lucky and made it through but he also drilled wells in addition to farming and keeping cattle and chickens and helped in construction when it was needed and many trades to stay above water so he wouldn't lose the land and house.  He luckily didn't owe anything on it as he inherited it from Great grandpa, but  back in the depression there were "City people" pushing to buy for a lot of money (in depression era money value, a pittance in reality), taking advantage of scarcity, same as always.

Things got more comfortable and he loved the luxury of having a color TV and his leather recliner in a relatively modest 3 room house my mom grew up in before he was 80.  Mom was born in 1925 so had lots more detailed stories to tell, like holding a lantern while going to school so she could be found if she got off track, that was in the bad days of the depression and dust bowl era but it wasn't always, she just carried it with her in case it turned windy.  Everything was brown dirt and scrub plants, no nice gridded out roads like now, just paths wagons took and they sort of spaced them out between churches and small towns 15 miles apart were a walk away.  No cars really around until after WW II, but tractors were a big thing that helped the farm.  One old truck is what the family had and it had the well drilling equipment on the back.  People walked to church or the richer ones would drive but it was only like 4 blocks away, as the town kind of grew next to the farm, it made the western border of the town.

The massive changes from Grandpa's stories to now are just unbelievable.  Literally oral history from Old West to the 1960s from grandpa and great depression to Obama from mom.   What is assumed and taken for granted and required has skyrocketed.  The idea of a 2 income family was only for people in debt and they were black sheep.   Moms stayed home and took care of the kids and cooked and cleaned.  A very comfortable lifestyle could be had with one income up until the 90s. (or 70s, depending on location)  The transition from radio to TV to color TV and then electronic computers in a house (rather than a job title a person had as 'computer') seemed like science fiction level advancement.  Just what I've seen since the 70s compresses all those changes and more, too much to even list.   Kids today talking about how they're immediately put in debt holes only a lucky few can escape are right, it's gotten worse, but not insurmountable if you have the will to not jump on every luxury fad for phone benchmark bragging rights.  Handing out credit cards like candy and college a requirement to get student loans hooked really tempts the young ones who have it all figured out, except the money part.

Freedom is nothing but lip service anymore.  We talk about it but have to wait for the right time of year or license or go to a different part of the state or a different state to legally do something, and all of it is 100% monitored, if your phone isn't tracking you, your car is covering it, if you're off that net that's a red flag and a reason to inspect your life with personal information and behavior data Hoover's FBI would have killed a few thousand people to get.

So, little has changed, other than the distance in swings from low to high, greatly expanded, really easy to lose it all with the wrong tweet.  From political right to left, everything is hyper-polarized and people group and love or hate something and everybody has to agree, thus splitting up a common group into many arguing factions which then miss all the details while worrying about a big picture they can't control anyway.   Same thing, just the polarization and number of groups and the chasms between them has grown.

great perspective.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Only the old Midwesterners will remember this:

KOMA Oklahoma City! Best radio station on Am to listen to at night.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife's dad used to be a DJ there. The map they had at the station they would put pins in to mark locations of the people calling in is now in the Oklahoma History Museum. My wife says she would spend nights at the station while her dad was on air and get in trouble for moving the pins around.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Richmond, VA 1890s

Versus Richmond, VA 130 years later

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#25]
This was my Mongoose California I had built from new/used parts.
Attachment Attached File

Picture was taken with a Kodak Disc camera, too.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This was my Mongoose California I had built from new/used parts.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334993/IMG_3640_JPG-3172799.JPG

Picture was taken with a Kodak Disc camera, too.  
View Quote

Dude
That looks even more like the one i had

i had the laid back seat post and yellow “TUFF WHEELS”

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Last summer I discovered that my chimney was falling down.  I had a HELL of a time finding a mason who would bother even giving me a quote.  Most were so busy they didn't even bother returning my call or giving me an actual quote that I could sign.  I basically waved my money at anyone with "mason" for a title that would listen to me.

The guy I finally got to fix it had a cell phone but it was not a smart phone and as far as I can tell, had no internet.  It only made phone calls and sent texts.  He accepted no credit cards, payment was check or cash only.  He was crazy busy and I got lucky that he was in my area already doing a larger job and made time after to swing by for a few days and knock out my problem.  

I am a software developer that works from home with a college degree and many years experience.  I did the math and old guy brick layer out there with his freakin flip phone and no social media presence....I had to pay him more per hour than I make per hour.

Go tell him you can't make good money and have a family, life etc without modern tech.  I don't think he knows.
View Quote

The trades. The trades. The trades. Is what I keep telling my son and daughter. There is this mid-20's something chic on instaface who is an amazing electrician. She takes emergency calls at 0200, etc...I can guarantee that chic is making excellent money even without the instaface presence.

There are not many people who want to get their hands dirty anymore, but they sure as shit don't mind paying through the nose to have the work done though. As time goes on, the price goes up because the demand increases.  The demand increases simply because not enough people want to be in the trenches.  Heaven forbid, they may have to...sweat or something yucky like that!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#29]

I hope those kids made that jump
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Asshole dads luring their kids into the moat?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Three riders in unison "These front brakes suck a$$!"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dude
That looks even more like the one i had

i had the laid back seat post and yellow “TUFF WHEELS”

View Quote

My man.
I could probably name off every mod I did to mine. Which is something since I can't remember what I had for supper last night.
Side note:
If you ride your bike off a swimming pool diving platform you will need to regrease all your bearings.
Also, if you ride off a 1 story $hitbox barn there is a good chance you will bend a set of 6.5" Ashtabula cranks. Both pedals will be bent or broken too. Pretty sure I cracked my gooseneck on that stunt but not positive.
Tuff Wheels weren't state of the art at that time but they would take a beating.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#34]

McD burritos used to be 2/$1, then 2/$2.  

I haven't been there in a while.  That's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We were at one time all AMERICANS!!!
Now we are each others enemies!
Putin sure did a job on this country!
https://i.insider.com/5da0a561695b581be775f67d?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp
View Quote

I think it was more Obama's doing than Putin's.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not just Midwesterners.

Back in the mid-1960s in Colorado Springs, if I stayed awake in bed until after midnight, plugged the earphone into my little transistor radio, and pulled the blanket over my head, I could pick up that station.

It was like being on the Internet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#39]

I had a 3 on the tree with a real 8 ball shifter.   The 8 ball was heavy, so once in a while when I was cruising in 3rd and hit a bump, it would drop down into neutral.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Raise your hand if at any point in your life you slammed the break with your left foot,  when it was time in your acceleration to gear up for that next cycle - while driving an automatic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Raise your hand if at any point in your life you slammed the break with your left foot,  when it was time in your acceleration to gear up for that next cycle - while driving an automatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can honestly say I never have. And that was with a 98 Wrangler and 08 Saturn Sky Redline in the mix with only a couple of automatics as other daily drivers. I don’t miss the left leg angst in stop and go traffic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

I bet you have an impressive dagger collection.

Great pic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Bring back DDT to make gray squirrels great again.
The number of birds of prey in my area do not allow tree rats to live long enough to make a snack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Boy was that guy mad at whoever he was talking with...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Boy was that guy mad at whoever he was talking with...

Back in 1981, a couple of friends and I were driving cross country and stopped at a convenience store near  the Superdome. along the outside wall of the store, there must have been 15 payphones attached to the wall. Everyone of them had a broken handset or cut cord.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I rode in a car once.  And while riding in that very car, we drove by another very similar car that was involved in a wreck, and two people that were in the very similar car died.
View Quote

You clearly missed the point of the entire thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Rode like that all the time when I was a kid.

Church summer camp was in east Texas up around Appleby.  We rode for 2 or 3 hours like that at a time.

One guy brought his wrist rocket along. We would shoot at road signs and water towers.

Good times right there. I miss it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top