Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2023 9:20:21 PM EDT
I’m a longtime cigar smoker who is interested in trying out pipe smoking. When it comes to cigars, I prefer broadleaf or maduro, but I can appreciate every cigar if it’s quality. Not a fan of anything flavored at all. Nicaraguan cigars are usually my go to.

I don’t know anything about smoking pipes.

What makes a pipe good? What blends would appeal to a cigar smoker?

I’m out of my element and don’t know anyone who smokes a pipe. So, any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
@DKProff makes pipes he may have some good recomendations
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC] [#2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNirgtpQIs

SMOKE WITH ME | How To Introduce a Friend to Pipe Smoking
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
How To Smoke A Pipe - Quick Start Tutorial for Beginners
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
SMOKE WITH ME | How To Choose The Best Pipe Blends For You!
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bophades45:
I’m a longtime cigar smoker who is interested in trying out pipe smoking. When it comes to cigars, I prefer broadleaf or maduro, but I can appreciate every cigar if it’s quality. Not a fan of anything flavored at all. Nicaraguan cigars are usually my go to.

I’m out of my element and don’t know anyone who smokes a pipe. So, any advice would be appreciated.
View Quote

OP:  I’ve smoked cigars for 20 years. I’ve attempted and failed trying to smoke a pipe 4 or 5 times during the same time. I’ve finally cracked the code. The YouTube vids I posted earlier are on what I consider the best pipe smoking YouTube channel.

Another one to spend some time watching is Muttnchop Piper.  Enjoy!

Start out with an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum cob.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The Art of Pipe Smoking Vol. 1: Tools of the Trade
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RustyKnifeUSMC:

OP:  I’ve smoked cigars for 20 years. I’ve attempted and failed trying to smoke a pipe 4 or 5 times during the same time. I’ve finally cracked the code. The YouTube vids I posted earlier are on what I consider the best pipe smoking YouTube channel.

Another one to spend some time watching is Muttnchop Piper.  Enjoy!

Start out with an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum cob.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
good luck OP, it seems i'd have better luck trying to divide by 0

I've tried smoking a pipe, without literally one second of enjoyment out of it. I have my pipe stuff in a Sistema container and if i went home and found out my wife chucked it in the trash, I'd take her to a nice dinner for having done it
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bophades45:

View Quote

To me a good pipe draws easily, and is comfortable in your hand OR hangs easily in your mouth, has a stem short enough for convenience or long enough to cool the smoke and enhance flavor if handheld like a churchwarden.  

Cigar guys would probably enjoy English blends that use some wrapper or filler tobaccos, and tend to be heavy on the nicotine. Samuel Gawith tobaccos often fit the bill IMHO, but just search descriptions from online vendors for blends that use cigar filler or wrapper tobaccos. That said, the pipe tobacco world is very broad.

Missouri Meerschaums are a great starter pipe. Use matches, zippo, whatever. Then just learn to pace your smoke, how to pack the bowl and try the eighty-seven bajillion different pipe tobaccos.

Worst case, you can shove you cigar butt into a properly sized pipe to hobo smoke the last bit of it. I did that with a Montecristo awhile back after seeing the cigar store owner do it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Slow everything you're doing down and don't sweat relights.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't smoke aromatic blends or english blends in the same pipe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#12]
Starting off get a corncob pipe I’ve smoked for decades I’ve enjoy a corncob pipe from time to time.
As a cigar smoker you will like something like the drug store blend half & half its available in a small pouch.
Give it a try, I smoked a bowl of this today after a Punch Diablo at the local cigar pub.
Some of the aromatics are just weird tasting.
Cornell & Diehl makes some great pipe tobacco if you find you like pipe smoking.
Old Joe Kranz
Haddoes delight
Blockaid runner are some of my favorites.
If you want a better pipe try a Dr. Grabow grand Duke, About $35 or so.
You can buy one from the maker in NC.
I use a 4” drywall screw for a tamper.
If you don’t like pipe smoking your not out very much.
There are some great pipe smoking forums.
Reddit pipe smoking forum is pretty cool it’s not like the rest of Reddit.
Some pipes come with filters so your being used to cigars make sure you take it out.

If you get into it though you will have a dozen pipes and a cellar of mason jars aging your tobacco.
I have some pipe tobacco 25 yrs old.
It gets better with time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top