Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 3:20:55 PM EDT
Does anyone have one??  If so, are you glad you got it?

Ive been kicking around a Blackstone for a while. My buddy just got a Pitt Boss ceramic coated griddle and is loving it so far.

I started doing some digging and it seems like they get as many bad reviews as they do good reviews.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
So Blackstone it is?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Weber just released one, supposedly doesn't rust
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EFB16ACRX] [#3]
Its not like its hard to season a regular one and keep it clean.  Coatings just something to chip off in a few years.

And i base that off my experience with pit boss quality in general.  Their shit is basically disposable at 5 years, even at the higher levels.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 4 burner one, and I intend to keep it. I like it, cleanup is normally a breeze. Most of the negative reviews seem to be about cleaning up burn in spots on the ceramic. That does happen but can be cleaned up with baking soda. Cooking on low that shouldn't happen much if at all. I however use mine to also sear meat after smoking it so I have to do more frequent deep cleans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alligator94:
I have the 4 burner one, and I intend to keep it. I like it, cleanup is normally a breeze. Most of the negative reviews seem to be about cleaning up burn in spots on the ceramic. That does happen but can be cleaned up with baking soda. Cooking on low that shouldn't happen much if at all. I however use mine to also sear meat after smoking it so I have to do more frequent deep cleans.
View Quote

Do you use metal utensils on it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By alligator94:
Cooking on low that shouldn't happen much if at all.
View Quote

The majority of my griddling is in med high to high.  I'd probably give it a bad review too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
Its not like its hard to season a regular one and keep it clean.  Coatings just something to chip off in a few years.

And i base that off my experience with pit boss quality in general.  Their shit is basically disposable at 5 years, even at the higher levels.
View Quote

Your first paragraph is one of my concerns.

Your second is not. I have had one of their “Pro Series” pellet smokers for several years and it is still as good as new.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got a Traeger Griddle. It’s nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the PB Sierra griddle.  It makes great fried rice, fajitas, etc.  If you are looking to sear steaks, look for a Blackstone.  

My PB requires no maintainance.  I haven't used it in months.  No worries, the griddle plate will be good to go.  

Months of neglect on a Blackstone?  Enjoy your re-seasoning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:

Do you use metal utensils on it?
View Quote
No, plastic or wood utensils for cooking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:36:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slow3v] [#11]
Originally Posted By chmodx:
Weber just released one, supposedly doesn't rust
View Quote
I've had a 28" and I have a 36" blackstone, and neither have rusted. Stored outdoors in spring/summer/fall with a cover, and put in my shed over the winter. Nothing special for how i take care of it.

Maybe the trick is that i don't clean it when I'm done cooking with water. I use the spatula to clean surface debris and excess moisture/grease off, and thats it. That's the most cleaning it ever gets. She seasoned for sure.

I say go with the stone. You can beat the shit out of them with utensils, it's just a piece of steel. Even if it does get rusted, you can sand it clean.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Had the 28" Blackstone and it rusted fairly quickly even though it was seasoned properly. Best to store the cooking surface indoors. Mine was under my BGE table with the cover and it still rusted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By slow3v:
I've had a 28" and I have a 36" blackstone, and neither have rusted. Stored outdoors in spring/summer/fall with a cover, and put in my shed over the winter. Nothing special for how i take care of it.

Maybe the trick is that i don't clean it when I'm done cooking with water. I use the spatula to clean surface debris and excess moisture/grease off, and thats it. That's the most cleaning it ever gets. She seasoned for sure.

I say go with the stone. You can beat the shit out of them with utensils, it's just a piece of steel. Even if it does get rusted, you can sand it clean.
View Quote

This here. I don't do anymore than you during the nicer months of the year. Around end of November when I think I won't use it again till spring I take a scoop of bacon grease from the fridge and throw it on the Blackstone while still hot and spread it around with my spatula then cover it. The grease cools and hardens and protects the surface all winter long when not in use. I don't do that in the spring, summer or fall cause I use it weekly
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Nyle_AR15:

This here. I don't do anymore than you during the nicer months of the year. Around end of November when I think I won't use it again till spring I take a scoop of bacon grease from the fridge and throw it on the Blackstone while still hot and spread it around with my spatula then cover it. The grease cools and hardens and protects the surface all winter long when not in use. I don't do that in the spring, summer or fall cause I use it weekly
View Quote
Yes.

I think people aggressively clean them after each cook especially with water, which will 100% make it rust fast. These are flat tops that are searing hot, there is no need from a sanitary standpoint.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By slow3v:
Yes.

I think people aggressively clean them after each cook especially with water, which will 100% make it rust fast. These are flat tops that are searing hot, there is no need from a sanitary standpoint.
View Quote

Wouldn't be treated like an iron skillet? I don't own a griddle yet but will probably get one soon.

I would think just wipe off with a paper towel or a dedicated rag.

I don't think I like the idea of something that is ceramic coated due to chipping. I could also see that the steel might warp and the ceramic cracking because it's too hard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW, when I clean my Pit Boss ceramic griddle, I use an electric pressure washer (easier to deal with than my gas PW).  Never did that with my steel griddle top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top