Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2023 5:12:00 PM EDT
I'll be making them for a cookout after church Sunday. I've made them plenty of times before, but always served them immediately. Anyone have success either holding for 4-5 hours or holding overnight? I need them to be ready by 1:30, but I won't be able to do anything to them between 10am and 1:15 or so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Just choke down your heat to 150-180 as soon as the outside is nice and sticky/carmelized. They shouldn’t dry out before you have to pull them off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Just choke down your heat to 150-180 as soon as the outside is nice and sticky/carmelized. They shouldn’t dry out before you have to pull them off.
View Quote

That's what I was wondering. I could throw them on the kettle at 6 am or so then transfer them to my electric smoker in the pan at 10am. I know it will hold temp reliably.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#3]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

That's what I was wondering. I could throw them on the kettle at 6 am or so then transfer them to my electric smoker in the pan at 10am. I know it will hold temp reliably.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I wouldn’t leave them that way all day, but a few hours should be fine, unless you dried them out already.

It’s not easy to ruin burnt ends, but I’ve done it (more than once) :-)
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]

I wouldn’t leave them that way all day, but a few hours should be fine, unless you dried them out already.

View Quote

I usually take to tender then sauce them and throw them back on to tack up. However, I'm thinking I'll get them to the color I want (175 ish), then braise them until tender. I'll hold them in the liquid so they shouldn't dry out. My country ribs like this recently were phenomenal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Never made these before. Care to share your recipe and process?   Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]

I usually take to tender then sauce them and throw them back on to tack up. However, I'm thinking I'll get them to the color I want (175 ish), then braise them until tender. I'll hold them in the liquid so they shouldn't dry out. My country ribs like this recently were phenomenal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why not?

Only danger there is over braising- you don’t want them to be mush.  Remember that as long as the liquid is hot, they’re still cooking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not?

Only danger there is over braising- you don’t want them to be mush.  Remember that as long as the liquid is hot, they’re still cooking.
View Quote

That's a good point. This shouldn't be a complicated decision...
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#8]
Originally Posted By SouthernYank:
Never made these before. Care to share your recipe and process?   Thanks in advance
View Quote

I'll find some pics on my phone and post. For the most part, I follow Chud's way of doing it here (with my preferred sauce, etc.):
Pork Belly Burnt Ends | Chuds BBQ

This was like a 1/3 slab of belly.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was after I brought them in from the kettle. They were not in a pan on it.
Attachment Attached File

Cut up
Attachment Attached File

Sauced but prior to going back on the kettle to tack up (forgot to take that pic)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]

They look fantastic!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks killer
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:36:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#11]
Today's belly burnt ends are on...a little over an hour here. The belly I bought this week is WAY fatter than the above one from last year. Hopefully it's not too fatty.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I cube the pork and toss them in rub, smoking them on a cookie cooling rack. Once barked up I drop them in a pan with brown sugar and butter.

I've braised them the following day in bbq sauce to reheat them, but never to keep them warm. They can definitely get mushy if you braise them too long.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430646/20200808_180816-1538332.jpgI cube the pork and toss them in rub, smoking them on a cookie cooling rack. Once barked up I drop them in a pan with brown sugar and butter.

I've braised them the following day in bbq sauce to reheat them, but never to keep them warm. They can definitely get mushy if you braise them too long.
View Quote

Yeah, as much as I want to braise them, I'm going to smoke them to temp/probe tender uncovered/wrapped, then put them in a pan at 150 to hold in my electric smoker. When I get home I'll crank it to 275, cube and sauce, then throw on to tack up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice.  I've got a slab of pork belly in the freezer.  Never have cooked, or even eaten pork belly, but I've heard good things.
This thread reminded me I need to pull that guy out and make some magic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Nice.  I've got a slab of pork belly in the freezer.  Never have cooked, or even eaten pork belly, but I've heard good things.
This thread reminded me I need to pull that guy out and make some magic.
View Quote

I also like doing them brisket style. 2 parts coarse pepper, 1 part kosher salt, 1/2 part garlic. Cook it until tender and barky, slice 1/4" ish thick. SOOOO good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Timing was a bit off and toddler was not feeling great this morning, so I'm not going to have to hold as long.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'll get another pic after they tack up. This was right before I put them back on.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Timing was a bit off and toddler was not feeling great this morning, so I'm not going to have to hold as long.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57550/PXL_20231001_175154818_jpg-2972658.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57550/PXL_20231001_175443256_jpg-2972659.JPG
I'll get another pic after they tack up. This was right before I put them back on.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57550/PXL_20231001_175754960_jpg-2972660.JPG
View Quote
They look pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
They look pretty good.
View Quote

I liked them better before saucing. The sauce & maple syrup softened up the bark. They were still really good, but that was a good experiment in what I do/don't like. I think I want to try setting a good bark next time, braising for a bit, then back on the rack directly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 12:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#19]
I got my belly on the smoker, gonna roughly follow that video.  

Mine was a lot longer slab, like 2ft long and still had the skin on it.  Do you guys leave the skin on or slice it off?  And is there a trick to getting it off?  That was a bit of a song and dance slicing it off the floppy meat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Mine was a lot longer slab, like 2ft long and still had the skin on it.  Do you guys leave the skin on or slice it off?  And is there a trick to getting it off?  That was a bit of a song and dance sliding it off the floppy meat.
View Quote

Mine have all been skin off. If I got one with skin on, I'd take it off and fry it . Not sure what the best method to remove would be.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Mine was a lot longer slab, like 2ft long and still had the skin on it.  Do you guys leave the skin on or slice it off?  And is there a trick to getting it off?  That was a bit of a song and dance slicing it off the floppy meat.
View Quote

I like to partially freeze mine before cutting it.  Makes it much easier!!  I follow Malcom Reeds recipe.  Yummy!!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Slimcake:
I like to partially freeze mine before cutting it.  Makes it much easier!!  I follow Malcom Reeds recipe.  Yummy!!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/525471/IMG_20200703_192040492_jpg-3021108.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/525471/IMG_20230701_121816142_HDR_jpg-3021109.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#23]
One of my favorite cooks, and I follow Malcom Reed's recipe.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:
One of my favorite cooks, and I follow Malcom Reed's recipe.
View Quote

Nice! I've done a some of the things he does, but haven't followed it exactly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top