Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2023 10:27:49 PM EDT
Criminal prosecution vs civil suit

I recently had a chainsaw stolen. It was modified and easily recognizable as mine. Some other saw kit was stolen with it. Specifically pink felling wedges with my initials. I have pictures of myself with those wedges with initials visible in my pockets.

It popped up an Facebook the night after I discovered it stolen. Pictures included a tattooed foot in frame with those wedges. Also a tattooed hand on the saw picture. I have full body pictures and close ups with those tattoos visible. I have all of the information the police need to find her. Replacement cost of the saw and all stolen items is $2300. Replacement truck canopy damaged during burglary is $2500+

I filed the police report online and have forum postings showing if stolen prior to her for sale ad. Nothing back from the pd as of today (Wednesday). Theft was on Saturday early AM. She has a controlled substance transportation and burglary convictions. Wanting to go scorched earth.

Chances of criminal conviction if I can get prosecution?

Chances of successful small claims civil suit for $5000?

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You dictate prosecution as the victim. That value would have rated a personal visit PD. It's a felony, and don't understand why they haven't followed up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no police, sorry they aren't gonna do shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Meet her. When she hands you the saw just leave. When/if she complains show her the pics and call the police. She will RUN away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Most petty thieves are judgement proof as the never have any assets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top