Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2024 9:05:52 PM EDT
We probably are moving to the mountains very soon and very rural. We have been taking trips and looking at properties on gravel roads and such. We have a Silverado work truck 4x4 and a few Hyundai's.

Last trip we took the Hyundai Santa Cruz mini truck (bought it for my parents and decided to try it on a trip). we ended up going up and down some switch backs that had our lead vehicle (relators ford ranger on new bf A/T's).
Going down was OK...but going up the ranger was spinning its tires. I had to use the electronic locking 4x4 and at one point had to stop and let the Christmas tree lights on the dash relax a bit before I could move again.
Stock tires on a stock 4 banger Hyundai. Made it to the top of a pretty steep switchback and smelled burnt clutch on an automatic . We took my wife's turbo Hyundai Kona AWD  on one trip that did ok but it just feels really rough for these types of vehicles.

What we want is an SUV that has 4x4, Low range, and space as we need to go shopping like once a month (groceries and other stuff). We want reliability as most trips are minimum 30 minutes to an hour. We are not rock crawling, but traveling gravel roads and switchbacks that at times get washed out (some small stream crossings too). We also want a 4 door to carry friends if they visit or we have to pick up from town. I had a Subaru outback and want a bit more room (and not a CVT). We will also use it for light overloading and going to national parks and trails for fun.

I think on paper a 4runner would be perfect (plus I bought a new fj years ago and put 200k miles on it before getting rid of it). The only negative is in my current area soccer moms by them as a status symbol and I have to pay the Toyota tax for an outdated (but reliable) 5 speed auto SUV.
I'd probably get the SR5 in 4x4 if I can find one. Most in my area are loaded. I was hoping to spend around $35k used and have found quite a few with low miles. Not sure if it's just worth it to buy new for a Toyota and spend around $45 as we plan to keep it for at least 10 plus year and 200k + miles.

Not sure what else to look at that will last reliably 200+ miles and over 10-20 years with decent 4x4 and build quality.

Part of me is like just get a new base hyundai palisade in AWD with some A/T's and rock the 10 year warranty but this last trip in the Santa Cruz made me rethink that, though the palisade has a pretty solid V6 and trans I feel like our lifestyle / location would be rough on it. Plus I think I want a Frame and not unibody but who knows?

Thinking jeep wrangler / gladiators are not reliable (had a liberty ) and even the news ones I have driven shift into 4x4 so bad. Plus I feel like they are a bit too hardcore for what we need. Gladiator is tempting due to the lower prices on many now.

Looked at 4 door broncos and they look great and can be had pretty cheap with low miles, but I don't know how long term reliable they are.

My normal daily that I'm selling before we move is a Chrysler crossfire (Mercedes SLK drivetrain) and I keep it running pretty easy. Not apposed to maybe a little bit older MB SUV if they are as reliable as my Cross fire.

Is there some super reliable  and affordable outlier that I am overlooking?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By dayphotog:

Is there some super reliable  and affordable outlier that I am overlooking?

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty remote. Might want a Honda SXS or ATV in the inventory  in case things get bad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to be replacing my 2006 4Runner.

With a 2024 4Runner.

... and by replace, I mean relegate the still reliable 2006 to my son.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#5]
Palisade or MB or anything else would be a mistake for your use case.

4Runner all the way.

The 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 is the finest current Toyota engine.  The fifth-gen 4Runner is the an old, outdated, body-on-frame SUV which is precisely why it is so good.  Everything is proven, reliable, and capable.

Edit: $45k will get you into a 200 series Land Cruiser and you can join the Master Race.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Happycamp] [#6]
GX 470 OR GX460

I have a GX and show quite a bit of VERY rural properties and never had an issue. from sloppy clay roads to open wet farmer fields

in fact ive never had to even engage the diff lock
and I dont even have dedicated
terrain tires(mich ltx's)

I bought the gx because it was cheaper than comparable 4runners
had spotless maintenance records
I don't  think it had ever seen a dirt road

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happycamp:
GX 470 OR GX460
View Quote

Yeah, this too.   Same platform with a V8, some niceties, and solid off-road chops.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I am thinking about selling our 4Runner and getting a gx550
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:08:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Happycamp] [#9]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
View Quote

I mulled it over for a while
but the thought of driving down narrow forest roads with trees dragging down the side seemed.....painful
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]

but the thought of driving down narrow forest roads with trees dragging down the side seemed.....painful
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s just a car and if your going to continually be driving down the road take a saw and cut the limbs back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Go buy the 4 Runner
View Quote

This is probably the answer.  I just turned 100K on a 2016 and have been really pleased with it although I’m certainly not rock climbing in it.  As far as reliability, it has been outstanding and from your description it seems to check all the boxes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]

It’s just a car and if your going to continually be driving down the road take a saw and cut the limbs back.
View Quote

not my properties
so out of my control

and yes its just a car but destroying the paint on a $70k car doesnt seem reasonable to me
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Gx460.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:51:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dayphotog] [#14]
Gx460’s look promising

Love it except for the leather seats

Lots of them available with low miles in the low 30’s

Need to research

EDIT
Oh man premium only
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Gx460’s look promising

Need to research

EDIT
Oh man premium only
View Quote

Plenty of folks out there using regular instead of premium.

GX, 4Runner or just be done with it all and get a 200 Series. Order Escape Gear seat covers from Equipt
if you don't like the leather. Matter of fact just order some anyway, you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#16]
4Runner….just hit 15k on my 23 ORP, love it more than i thought i would
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Since its your money, I definitely recommend a 2016 or newer Landcruiser

Otherwise, go new on the 4Runner and keep it forever as you’re planning.

For some reason, I never find the 3 year old 20k mile for 50% of new price that everyone else on here finds.

I bought a new 2016 limited 4 runner. The dealer had a 2013 limited with 34k miles and rust on the hitch, for 4k less than a new 2016. It was a no brainer.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Get the GX. Run regular.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I only put premium in mine once a quarter

the rest of the time it gets 87
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#20]
Said you're moving rural. What do the locals drive in the area you're moving to?
Those are the vehicles you're going to be able to get parts and help with quickly if you can't fix it yourself

I was on the GX hype train until I realized that if something comes up I can't fix myself, a shop that can fix it is far away and a dealer even further
I bought a common mid-tier 4x4 truck instead (prior to the crazy price increases of 2020). Good tires & locking diffs will get you almost anywhere.

Also depending how methy the area you're moving to is, a GX or Land Cruiser makes you stick out like a sore thumb for the tweakers & stealers

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:

Also depending how methy the area you're moving to is, a GX or Land Cruiser makes you stick out like a sore thumb for the tweakers & stealers

View Quote

No one knows what the hell a Land Cruiser is.  Everyone thinks it's an older Highlander.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
I'm going to be replacing my 2006 4Runner.

With a 2024 4Runner.

... and by replace, I mean relegate the still reliable 2006 to my son.

View Quote

I'm going to replace my 2006 4runner... with a 1992 4runner
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd probably get the SR5 in 4x4 if I can find one. Most in my area are loaded. I was hoping to spend around $35k used and have found quite a few with low miles. Not sure if it's just worth it to buy new for a Toyota and spend around $45 as we plan to keep it for at least 10 plus year and 200k + miles.
View Quote

Wife just got a sr5 with 4wd - the 4wd is only about $1500 extra on the sr5.  They are few in numbers though because most people buy either the cheapest 2wd available or get all the options for well over $50k.  

Any dealer should be able to get one if you can wait a bit, we had to wait a bit over a month when we got it last fall.

The 4wd and v6 will ensure it has high resale value down the road also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CJSCARH:
4Runner….just hit 15k on my 23 ORP, love it more than i thought i would
View Quote

I don't have as many miles on my 23 ORP, but I love it. I'll hate to have to sell it when I move overseas though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayphotog] [#25]
Said you're moving rural. What do the locals drive in the area you're moving to?
Those are the vehicles you're going to be able to get parts and help with quickly if you can't fix it yourself

I was on the GX hype train until I realized that if something comes up I can't fix myself, a shop that can fix it is far away and a dealer even further
I bought a common mid-tier 4x4 truck instead (prior to the crazy price increases of 2020). Good tires & locking diffs will get you almost anywhere.

View Quote

Out in that area Lots of 4Runners, Tacomas, wranglers / gladiators, and a big mix of random older 4x4’s

Funny my wife mentioned the Lexus might be too upity for our area.  

Listening to podcasts on the new $55k land cruisers that is still over what I want to spend. 4Runner and our older silverado it will probably be.

Looking at the 4Runners I’ll need the trd off road trim due to wanting 4x4 lever
Not a huge difference in price. My local dealer only has trd premium trim currently

Sad that it’s just like my fj and does not fold flat in back

But happy it’s really close to my fj (that I really miss but replaced with Subaru due to moving to Midwest)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 94TBlazer] [#26]
2500 HD ZR2  ETA:  It's only more truck than you need, until you need it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 94TBlazer:

https://images.cars.com/cldstatic/wp-content/uploads/chevrolet-silverado-2500-zr2-bison-2024-02-exterior-offroad-front-angle-scaled.jpg
View Quote

LOL GM garbage.

In-laws have had two newer gm vehicles both plagued with electrical gremlins under 40k miles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By billth777:

LOL GM garbage.

In-laws have had two newer gm vehicles both plagued with electrical gremlins under 40k miles.
View Quote

Hard pass.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#29]

https://images.cars.com/cldstatic/wp-content/uploads/chevrolet-silverado-2500-zr2-bison-2024-02-exterior-offroad-front-angle-scaled.jpg
View Quote

He needs it reliable.

The Wallflowers - One Headlight (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I started a simular idea a few years ago and looked at 4 runners . We ended up buying a used 200 series Land Cruiser instead. Removed the third row changed out the tires and wheels and routine maintainance and here we are. I have zero regrets. Used LX 570s are slightly cheaper .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I disagree with the Land Cruiser sticking out..In rural south Alabama there are 3 , 200 series Land Cruisers on my 5 mile long road..most people can not tell it from a Sequoia . They are very generic to most people . A G wagon is different..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:58:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dayphotog] [#32]
Ok what about a low mileage 2015 Nissan Xterra?

Seen a few in high $20’s
The area I’m looking in also had lots of Nissan frontiers from old to new

Using my inflation calculators my new fj cost me $27k 2007 and replacement should be $40k yet every 4 runner is at least $45k at the dealers
Used I’m not saving that much

If lucky saving $10k for 30-40k miles or 4 years (for us to get that mileage)

I want my rubber fj floor
Even my Silverado wt has rubber floor

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Nissan? Just get a kia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJSCARH] [#34]

View Quote

Good god no…. i came from GM land and i had/have arguably the most reliable years and they were still problematic. Buy anything post 2020 GMT?? No way in hell, i personally know 5 people that have/had serious transmission issues on new gen GMTs….they have a problem. Those new ZR2 colorados are beautiful trucks but swore them off especially after they doubled down on being effin dumb (headlights controlled through touch screen etc) one thing that is for certain to need to be replaced is GM electronics. There is a reason why so many suggest a 4Runner/GX/LC. I saw recently in a weekly 4runner thread, someone here quoted a youtube channel like IdoCars or something like that, stated that the GX/4runner platform is the most reliable vehicle in the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Using my inflation calculators my new fj cost me $27k 2007 and replacement should be $40k yet every 4 runner is at least $45k at the dealers

View Quote

I'll sell you my 4runner for $20k, as soon as I get my LC250 to replace it

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#36]
4runner or land cruiser are probably your best options.

Most Gladiators are a decent rig, just not as comfortable as other options. We have one that's a '21 and almost at 50k. I know of a pilot car driver that put 100k miles on it in one year. And 7 windshields.

The diesel and/or manual Gladiators are out because of reliability.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jeremy223:

I'll sell you my 4runner for $20k, as soon as I get my LC250 to replace it
https://i.imgur.com/J9zeL8Y.jpeg

View Quote

How many miles?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Only 360k; barely broken in
I'm not really planning to sell, as its book value is probably about $0. It's actually in damn near perfect mechanical condition, save for a small timing cover oil seep, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
You need a 4Runner. That’s really all there is in the reliable department.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Josh:
View Quote

And soon if I want new. Gen 6 going to turbo 4?
And probably even higher cost

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

That’s my understanding. Even the new LC will have a turbo 4.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Gx460’s look promising

Need to research

EDIT
Oh man premium only
View Quote

Almost everyone who knows better runs regular and it is fine.

I'll oncur with the hive - the Gx460, 4runner or LC are your best choices. The GX doesn't look super capable at first glance because it is a luxury class SUV but it absolutely is.

@jafrush
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

I'll oncur with the hive - the Gx460, 4runner or LC are your best choices. The GX doesn't look super capable at first glance because it is a luxury class SUV but it absolutely is.

@jafrush
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
Gx460's look promising

Lots of them available with low miles in the low 30's

Need to research

EDIT
Oh man premium only

@jafrush
I used to run 87 in my 2011 460.

GXs are 4Rs with full time 4wd and V8s with nicer interiors. Very capable vehicles.

I sold my GX for a 13 LX570. That thing is crazy capable, just thirsty. Also have a 23 4R Pro. Probably selling my LX to pick up the new LC250.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

We don't really know. It's likely.  I bought a 2022 ORP just to make sure I don't have to deal with that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dayphotog] [#45]
ok we went to the local dealer today and the sold all 6 in inventory today (so much for crappy economy)

they had one TRD sport only left and the wife said it was too boojie

We agreed on the TRD off road premium (wife wants heated seats)
New they are running at that dealer $48k and used with 25kish miles $41K

The reason I don't really want a local used one is the salt out here. It killed my FJ even after POR15ing the frame. It was all the little stuff I could not get to.
Not sure it's worth it for a low milage one. I looked at some out west but shipping them brings the price so close to the price of new.
I wanted to put money down on the one new one that was coming soon but the whole buying the house thing really putting a cramp on this.

We can't touch our credit as we are in the middle of buying a property so we may have to wait as I think if I pull savings/checking it could affect what we are getting for a house loan.

Wife's car maybe get $20k for it so (top trim hyundai Kona AWD turbo with 36k miles)
Now the waiting is going to suck

at least we know what trim we want
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#46]
Good choice.  

Put some good tires on it and it will be shockingly capable.  Most people don't realize how powerful the Toyota suite of off-road assists is.

Combine that with the reliability of the 1GR-FE powertrain and you have a winner.

I feel the outgoing 4Runner and the Land Cruiser 200 were the end of an era.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By divkat9:

Plenty of folks out there using regular instead of premium.

GX, 4Runner or just be done with it all and get a 200 Series. Order Escape Gear seat covers from Equipt
if you don't like the leather. Matter of fact just order some anyway, you'll be glad you did.

View Quote

100% on the Escape Gear seat covers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#48]
ok we went to the local dealer today and the sold all 6 in inventory today (so much for crappy economy)

The reason I don't really want a local used one is the salt out here. It killed my FJ even after POR15ing the frame. It was all the little stuff I could not get to.
Not sure it's worth it for a low milage one. I looked at some out west but shipping them brings the price so close to the price of new.
I wanted to put money down on the one new one that was coming soon but the whole buying the house thing really putting a cramp on this.

We can't touch our credit as we are in the middle of buying a property so we may have to wait as I think if I pull savings/checking it could affect what we are getting for a house loan.

Wife's car maybe get $20k for it so (top trim hyundai Kona AWD turbo with 36k miles)

View Quote

Whatever you get, get it oiled. No permanent sealer or paint is that great against salt. I have an old 4Runner for an off road toy, doesn’t get driven in the winter and I still hit it with surface shield or fluid film.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearsmithy] [#49]
Affordable: 4runner
Baller: GX

ETA: either way get weathertech floormats all around
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#50]

View Quote

How soon are you looking to buy? Can you wait a few months? I'm moving out of country at the end of August. If interested, I can PM you all the details. 23 ORP very low miles.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top