Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#1]
Handbrake for ripping
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Way back when I was doing that, HandBrake was the go-to
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I did that several years ago...now I just stream everything and buy movies on Google TV when needed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Whe I converted all of my DVD's for my NAS, I used HandBrake and if needed MakeMKV (both are free).
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently using Handbrake to rip my Simpsons DVDs, but earlier this year I had to roll it back to a previous version because the current one couldn't crack DVD encryption (even though I had the required
libdvdcss file present).

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
DVD Fab has been my go to for some time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
MakeMKV to rip, Handbrake to compress.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
MakeMKV.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
View Quote
Yep, that's how I did it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GI-45] [#13]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I have Roku, Netflix, and Paramount+, but they usually don't have what I'm wanting to watch (watch again). I have about 150 DVDs and 20 Blue-Rays, not counting multi-disk sets like TV series or movies with sequels (Star Trek, Fast + Furious, etc.).  I stream newer stuff, but it's limited, and if the internet should go down (storm blocking StarLink), I would still have all of this available through my computer.
View Quote

If you have a Roku with a USB port (such as Roku Ultra or one of their older models), their Media Player app works really well for playing MP4 and MKV files locally from an external hard drive. Even lets you add thumbnails and close caption files. I really like it because I don't need a separate PC running in the background.

ETA this also works if your Roku is built into your TV.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
If I am doing any compression, I use Handbrake.

If, however, I am simply ripping and storing as .mkv, which I tend to do then I do MakeMKV.  Very simple and quicker than Handbrake.  Handbrake is fantastic for doing anything more than ripping the DVD's however.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I gave this a go a while back, but the quality always was always sub par to bad.

I need to give it another shot as my out-of-region media collection keeps growing and the only Blu ray player I have that reads them is connected to my desktop, which I almost never use these days.

Is it too much to ask for 1080 playback from ripped blu rays?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Been using WinxDVD for longer than I can remember. I bought a new copy last year for a different PC and it still works great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

I gave this a go a while back, but the quality always was always sub par to bad.

I need to give it another shot as my out-of-region media collection keeps growing and the only Blu ray player I have that reads them is connected to my desktop, which I almost never use these days.

Is it too much to ask for 1080 playback from ripped blu rays?
View Quote

Handbrake is all about the settings. There are guides out there to get the best quality you can in the smallest file size. You kind of have to experiment to get the quality level you want.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll have to read more about the MKV files. I'm only really familiar with mp4s.
View Quote

https://cloudinary.com/guides/video-formats/mkv-format-what-is-mkv-how-it-works-and-how-it-compares-to-mp4
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:20:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#21]
AnyDVD?  I haven't heard that name since like 2004.  Back when I would go to the video store and rent a few DVDs, take them home, and return them all 3 hours later.  They knew what was up cause I was returning the movies way faster than you could watch them.

I do have some DVDs I need to get around to ripping.  There are some shows that are not on android streaming service.  My dad used to watch "The Commish".  I bought the DVD box set.  Free software like handbrake is able to rip the episodes off.  But I need to play with the settings to make the video files come out better.  Default settings make them look terrible and play jittery.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#23]
DVDDecrypter was what used to be the goto.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By stanfosd:
If I am doing any compression, I use Handbrake.

If, however, I am simply ripping and storing as .mkv, which I tend to do then I do MakeMKV.  Very simple and quicker than Handbrake.  Handbrake is fantastic for doing anything more than ripping the DVD's however.
View Quote
Is there a way to turn off the captions when using makemkv so you don't have to run it through handbrake?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
IMO, It would be much, much easier and quicker to just download a  "torrent" of high quality dvd rips through a vpn then to go through the trouble of actually ripping a dvd.  This is what I do and I have about 6TB of movies stored on a samba share on my home server.

It takes about 4 minutes to download a typical high bitrate 4k movie for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#27]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UV18:
DVD Fab has been my go to for some time.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

MKV can preserves multiple audio and caption tracks, but it's up to the player as to whether captions are on or off.  

When using MakeMKV to rip, however, you can chose to not include some audio and/or caption tracks.  I always drop the foreign ones, unless it's a foreign classic, like Das Boot, to reduce size and selection hassle.
View Quote
I guess I've never figured out how to do this?

Even remembered reading that you had to use something like handbrake to strip them out.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out Sonarr/Radarr and Usenet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#33]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
I guess I've never figured out how to do this?

Even remembered reading that you had to use something like handbrake to strip them out.

Thanks
View Quote

MakeMKV keeps all audio tracks and subtitle tracks by default unless you choose to strip them out before ripping. The check boxes are all in a hierarchy in the left hand column right before you add an item to the queue.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#34]
MakeMKV - used it to rip 500+ DVDs and Blu-Rays so far.  Also did about 900 TV episodes with that program

tinyMediaManager - used to generate movie posters and movie information for my Plex server.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
IMO, It would be much, much easier and quicker to just download a  "torrent" of high quality dvd rips through a vpn then to go through the trouble of actually ripping a dvd.  This is what I do and I have about 6TB of movies stored on a samba share on my home server.

View Quote

I concur.  ...although I would never do such a thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Handbrake for ripping
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]

MakeMKV keeps all audio tracks and subtitle tracks by default unless you choose to strip them out before ripping. The check boxes are all in a hierarchy in the left hand column right before you add an item to the queue.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157305/makemkvselect_PNG-3034100.png
View Quote
Life saver.

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#39]
Edit- nevernind, I read the OP wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to rip all of my DVDs, and put them on a NAS. Is there a preferred program for decrypting them? So far I see RedFox AnyDVD, and DVDFab Passkey. I'm using Windows 10 Home.
View Quote

Lets pretend im an out of touch old man, was is NAS ? Id love to put all mine on a device but im clueless about it
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I use DVDFab to back up the physical discs in their entirety as well as make a REMUX of them.

I use Handbrake to then convert them to different formats/resolutions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
MakeMKV is the best. I only use handbrake to resize and change formats. Kodi and Plex will play nicely with the MKV container after you rip.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By uncool:

Lets pretend im an out of touch old man, was is NAS ? Id love to put all mine on a device but im clueless about it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I want to rip all of my DVDs, and put them on a NAS. Is there a preferred program for decrypting them? So far I see RedFox AnyDVD, and DVDFab Passkey. I'm using Windows 10 Home.

@uncool

NAS = Network Attached Storage

It has storage for the videos plus runs a server software like Plex, Jellyfin, or Emby which allows you to watch the videos on all of your devices.

Depending on how much storage you need and what kind of devices you have will change which NAS you should purchase.

You can also build your own NAS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#44]
OST

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

A NAS is an appliance.  Its purpose is to make a buttload of storage (hard drives) available to things on your network.

Essentially it is a computer.  You can reuse old desktops and laptops as a NAS.  But purpose-built ones are typically much more lopsided in terms of hardware specs.  They maxxx out the stats for storage and network throughput, while skimping on CPU, ram, and graphics cards.  That allows them to do their more specialized jobs without wasting a bunch of electricity or having to run the fans and make a bunch of noise.

Some of the use cases for a NAS include general file storage for photos and video editing, backing up your computers, sharing files between computers at your house, and storing games, movies, music, and TV shows.  That is the use case for this thread.  Ripping music and DVDs to the NAS, they can be accessed by all the different smart TVs and whatnot in your house.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:

View All Quotes

Always the risk of viruses with this method.  And lots of movies are not rips but HDCams recordings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Handbrake for ripping
View Quote
I can confirm that, I've used it for years to archive my DVD's. Also, with storage being as cheap as it is, use the highest quality settings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

Always the risk of viruses with this method.  And lots of movies are not rips but HDCams recordings.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

Don’t get them from sketchy sites
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top