BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

If you want to build your own, the below links are a good place to see different types of drives and their failure rates.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2023/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-drive-stats-of-backblaze-storage-pods/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
Originally Posted By dlshady:
What's everyone's opinion on the best value on bulk storage going right now?  My little 8TB NAS filled up pretty quickly and I'd really like to go ahead and finish ripping all my stuff.  Eventually I'd like to set up a much larger NAS but don't want to spend that much money right now.  Looks like I can get a 16TB WD Essentials external drive on Amazon for about $260 but that's about as far as I've looked.

If you want to build your own, the below links are a good place to see different types of drives and their failure rates.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2023/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-drive-stats-of-backblaze-storage-pods/

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
The NAS was running for several days, and the movies finally showed up, but the TV series just show as empty boxes. I just tried to watch some of the movies, and got a popup every time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/NAS_Error-3130168.jpg

I guess this means that the NAS is too old to even work, and I'll probably have to buy one and move the drives. I'm not as close to being done as I had thought.
View Quote

That's interesting.  I watched a Youtube video the other day about converting an old PC to a dedicated server for Jellyfin, but I'm sure it would be the same for Plex or any other streaming program.  It looked pretty interesting to me so I've started gathering parts to build one.  I know slightly less than nothing about Docker containers and all the other geek-speak that I'm going to need, but hopefully I can muddle my way through it with the help of others who are smarter than me.  I'll dig up a link for the video if that's something of interest to you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#4]
That sounds alike a transcoding issue. What resolution are the files and what is the resolution of your TV?

But yes, it's probably your computer running the NAS not being powerful enough to transcode the files on the fly. The Synology route is the easiest, but not necessarily the cheapest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What NAS do you have?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#6]
OST

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#8]
Yes, please, I would like to see that.
I don't know the resolution of the videos or my TV, or even how to find that info. My daughter is about to take me to the city, but when we get back I'll (edit- try to ask. He's pretty busy with his fiancee' these days) to ask my son for those answers. I only know that some are MKV files, and others are mp4s.

According to what he's told me before, my PC isn't running any of it, and the NAS itself is what's doing it.

The sticker says Synology DS414.

Edit - Googled info on my NAS.

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/14-year/DS414/enu/Synology_DS414_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf
View All Quotes
I watched a Youtube video the other day about converting an old PC to a dedicated server..  I'll dig up a link for the video if that's something of interest to you.
Originally Posted By Toker_:
What resolution are the files and what is the resolution of your TV?

But yes, it's probably your computer running the NAS not being powerful enough to transcode the files on the fly. The Synology route is the easiest, but not necessarily the cheapest.
I don't know the resolution of the videos or my TV, or even how to find that info. My daughter is about to take me to the city, but when we get back I'll (edit- try to ask. He's pretty busy with his fiancee' these days) to ask my son for those answers. I only know that some are MKV files, and others are mp4s.

According to what he's told me before, my PC isn't running any of it, and the NAS itself is what's doing it.

Originally Posted By dragoontwo:
What NAS do you have?

The sticker says Synology DS414.

Edit - Googled info on my NAS.

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/14-year/DS414/enu/Synology_DS414_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

Yeah that things ancient (2013 model).  There's no possible way it'll be able to transcode anything except *maybe* an audio track as it doesn't have an iGPU of any kind so no hardware transcoding of video and it's not powerful enough to do it in software.

You'd be better off just setting up Emby/Plex on a PC that you leave on all of the time and just creating a share to the NAS to have the PC reach the media.  That's effectively what I do, however, I'm using a LXC in Proxmox for Emby and have a 10Gb link to my UnRAID server.  The LXC just uses raw CPU horsepower as I give it 32 cores of the host machine's CPU as I don't want to put a GPU in each of my Proxmox nodes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
That's an old NAS, so I doubt it's going to transcode anything to 1080p or higher.

The MKV file is just a container. Basically, the resolution of the rip is as follows:
DVD = 480p
Blu-ray = 1080p
4K UHD = 2160p

If you're playing a DVD file on your 4K set, something has to upscale the 480p to 2160p. If the software of the player can't do it, the NAS has to do it.

If you're not tech savvy enough to set up a PC to do this, get something like the Synology DS920+ or DS423+.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dragoontwo] [#11]

Does this mean that it would all still be stored on the NAS, but that I'd have to use my PC to access it? If so, that almost entirely defeats my whole purpose for doing this. (I didn't understand anything after that sentence that I quoted).

I'll check back in when I get back from the city. Gotta go.
View Quote

You can use a mini pc for usually around $100 with at least an 8th gen intel CPU to hook into your network to do this.  I use a Lenovo mini pc from ebay for this.

Check here for what I mean.

Mini pc on ebay.  Use the best offer to try to get it at $100 or less.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
I watched a Youtube video the other day about converting an old PC to a dedicated server..  I'll dig up a link for the video if that's something of interest to you.

Here's a link to the specific video that got me thinking.  I'm planning to do a few things differently from his build but the same principals will apply, it'll basically be a server on my home network that has a couple 18 or 20 TB hard drives for storage and a decent processor that can handle the transcoding.  Figuring out the software will be my biggest hurdle because I know jack and shit about networking and all the associated acronyms.  In the video he used a free server hardware, but from what I've read and the videos I've watched, I think a $60 investment in Unraid software will be the route I take.

The ULTIMATE Budget Jellyfin Server

One thing to note, he actually buys the wrong mini PC in his video and I bought the one he thought he was buying, only the one I bought has an i7-7700 processor in it.  Here's the one I bought:

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#14]
If you're playing a DVD on a 4K TV, there's only so much you can do since DVD quality is really low resolution. Even the best upscalers aren't going to help out a lot. Garbage in, garbage out.

You're basically blowing up a tiny image onto a much large screen size.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
That pic helps me understand. kind of like zooming in on a JPG pic.
View Quote

Most TV's nowadays have built-in upscaling that helps a little bit, however, going from DVD quality to something like my 4K OLED Sony A90J really shows the inferiority of DVD resolution even with the upscaling done by the TV.

If the NAS still works just buy something like a used Dell 5090 Micro (link) or Lenovo M70q (link)
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump to keep it out of the archives.  I'm at a standstill on my home built Jellyfin server because I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
@rcav8r
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I've finally gathered all the components to build my dedicated Jellyfin server.  Any of you super smart computer types want to walk me through the software end of things?  I haz the dumb when it comes to this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I've finally gathered all the components to build my dedicated Jellyfin server.  Any of you super smart computer types want to walk me through the software end of things?  I haz the dumb when it comes to this stuff.
View Quote

What part do you actually need help with?  What OS are you going to be using for everything?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]

What part do you actually need help with?  What OS are you going to be using for everything?
View All Quotes

@dragoontwo  If you scroll up to post #12 on this page, you'll see where I linked the video that started this whole snowball for me.  I've bought one of the little HP EliteDesk G3 SFF machines, a couple of renewed 18TB drives and 64 GB of memory.  The computer I bought came with an NVME drive with a fresh install of Win 10 already in the machine, but I'm thinking about saving that drive for something else and installing maybe a 1TB NVME and using TrueNAS Scale for the OS.  I say this based solely on the fact that I've watched hours of different videos on the topic and it seems like the TrueNAS software is something that I might actually be able to figure out.  This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge because things have changed so much since I was young and messed with anything like this on a regular basis.  Before I watched that video, I'd never heard of containers, Docker, shares, etc...  

So that's where I am at the moment.  What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#25]

@dragoontwo  If you scroll up to post #12 on this page, you'll see where I linked the video that started this whole snowball for me.  I've bought one of the little HP EliteDesk G3 SFF machines, a couple of renewed 18TB drives and 64 GB of memory.  The computer I bought came with an NVME drive with a fresh install of Win 10 already in the machine, but I'm thinking about saving that drive for something else and installing maybe a 1TB NVME and using TrueNAS Scale for the OS.  I say this based solely on the fact that I've watched hours of different videos on the topic and it seems like the TrueNAS software is something that I might actually be able to figure out.  This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge because things have changed so much since I was young and messed with anything like this on a regular basis.  Before I watched that video, I'd never heard of containers, Docker, shares, etc...  

View Quote

A lot of the times, workstations like those will have the windows key integrated in the motherboard.  If your does this, then don't worry about using the drive it came with.  I can't really help with TrueNAS as I haven't used it and use UNraid myself.  If you're unsure about what you are doing, find a guide online.  There should be online guides for installing jellyfin or plex and getting the shares setup for them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]

A lot of the times, workstations like those will have the windows key integrated in the motherboard.  If your does this, then don't worry about using the drive it came with.  I can't really help with TrueNAS as I haven't used it and use UNraid myself.  If you're unsure about what you are doing, find a guide online.  There should be online guides for installing jellyfin or plex and getting the shares setup for them.
View All Quotes

I looked at UNraid too, but just to be honest, I didn't find anything that was dumbed down far enough to help me understand it well enough that I thought I could make it work right.  That, and I thought it was a bit strange to run from a thumb drive, but that shouldn't really matter either way.  As for the windows key, I don't think it's an issue with these particular machines because YouTube is full of videos where people are repurposing them for all kinds of stuff, and I haven't heard anyone mention it yet.  Y'all wish me luck!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]

I looked at UNraid too, but just to be honest, I didn't find anything that was dumbed down far enough to help me understand it well enough that I thought I could make it work right.  That, and I thought it was a bit strange to run from a thumb drive, but that shouldn't really matter either way.  As for the windows key, I don't think it's an issue with these particular machines because YouTube is full of videos where people are repurposing them for all kinds of stuff, and I haven't heard anyone mention it yet.  Y'all wish me luck!
View Quote

UNraid doesn't run from the thumb drive.  At boot, it loads the OS into RAM and runs there.  Changes and updates are written to the thumb drive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]

UNraid doesn't run from the thumb drive.  At boot, it loads the OS into RAM and runs there.  Changes and updates are written to the thumb drive.
View All Quotes

That’s really just semantics. You can’t install and run it from an SSD so for all intents and purposes it run off of a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

That’s really just semantics. You can’t install and run it from an SSD so for all intents and purposes it run off of a thumb drive.
View All Quotes

I wasn't going to argue semantics but yeah, in my feeble mind it needs the thumb drive to work, therefore it "runs off the thumb drive."  I'm not opposed to using that software, just that I've found a few videos which dumbed TrueNAS down to the point that I think my dumb ass could make it work, and I haven't found the same yet for UNraid.  All the videos I've found so far on UNraid are spewing acronyms right and left by 5 minutes into the video and by that point, I'm out.  I think they completely miss the point that I wouldn't even need their videos if I already understood the voodoo language they're speaking.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dragoontwo] [#30]

View Quote

Akshually, if you can find a SSD to USB adapter that has a unique guid you can indeed load unraid on that.  It would still load into the ram and run there and not the SSD.

It isn't semantics, it runs in ram.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Apparently, the mkv files are too big to fit on FAT32 formatted cards for some reason, so they have to be formatted NFTS, but my Chinese tablet has an issue with that format.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Apparently, the mkv files are too big to fit on FAT32 formatted cards for some reason, so they have to be formatted NFTS, but my Chinese tablet has an issue with that format.
View Quote

FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#33]

FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB.
View Quote

The mkv files have often been coming out well over that.

Even simple 1.5 hour movies. Am I missing a setting to make them smaller? Resolution or something?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Are the newer raspberry pi's, 4 or 5, powerful enough to make something to connect to my TV to play movies from a hard drive?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
MKV is a container that can have video and audio encoded many different ways.  Default is MP4 h.264 ,   h.265 can shrink filesize for same quality but it takes longer to encode (or a beefier system).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I figured out that I need to use handbrake to convert the MKV files to MP4.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top