Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2023 1:22:30 AM EDT
This is an interesting story from Clif High, starting at 46min in. He tells a story that in Vietnam his father was given prototype NVGs and they exposed invisible “demons”.  Quite an interesting tale.  I am not super familiar with Clif, but this was something that caught my imagination a bit.

FILM: Clif High - Antarctica Unveiled (Pt. 3 of 3)
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#1]
JFC!

Fast forward to the 8:45 mark to get past all the credits and disclaimers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:32:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D6T] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Google dicyanin dye night vision googles..your welcome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't have time to watch the video. Tag for later.

I've seen this topic before but always skipped it. I decided to look a little but man, the people that are really interested in these goggles appear to be on a permanent acid trip or something.

I dont think they actually saw "demons". However it's possible the combination of materials and function made it easier for their eyes to play tricks on them. Similiar to how low frequency sounds can make people feel paranoid and afraid.

I'd be interested to learn more but damn is there alot of weird people interested in these.

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, now im really curious.  Ive not heard of this before, and it appears there is a rabbit hole for these things.

How Red Night Vision Goggles drove Soldiers Mad during Vietnam, Dicyanin Dye and More #story #NG

I wonder if any of the TNVC guys have heard of this stuff? @TNVC_Will @TNVC
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Google dicyanin dye night vision googles..your welcome.
View Quote

Looks like you have to make your own if you want to get the full supernatural effects that the pilots experienced. The store bought ones use tinted solid lenses that only mimic the red color spectrum of the original lenses that used a dicyanin/alcohol mix trapped between two panes of glass. Unfortunately this liquid breaks down in short time so even if you lucked out and found an original set of goggles they would be useless now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:23:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#8]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

Looks like you have to make your own if you want to get the full supernatural effects that the pilots experienced. The store bought ones use tinted solid lenses that only mimic the red color spectrum of the original lenses that used a dicyanin/alcohol mix trapped between two panes of glass. Unfortunately this liquid breaks down in short time so even if you lucked out and found an original set of goggles they would be useless now.
View Quote

There's a place selling modern lenses. The guy making them actually has a video where he sandwiches dycyanine between to lenses the way it used to be done, and compared it to their lense coating and it looks identical. Just a purple dye it looks like. Kind of like quinacridone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Well, now im really curious.  Ive not heard of this before, and it appears there is a rabbit hole for these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ZiWFEAjLY

View Quote

Not sure if they'll get back to you, but someone over there had a red phosphor tube they put into a pair of binos. They only had one though so the other tube was green. Believe they called them "chrismas goggles" lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
It’s an entertaining topic but IMHO it’s simply human psychology manifesting fears/images (boogie man).

If you’ve been out in the legit boonies on dark dark nights under nods where apex predators lurk, your brain and imagination can play tricks on you, and by making the phosphor red I can see that being a total mind fuck, lol

Hell, I’ve seen guys get spooked in places where there is 100% absolutely nothing dangerous lurking around.

Especially in the Vietnamese jungle with older NV tech images will be pretty blobby so the brain has a lot more “creative freedom”.
View Quote

I'd just be more interested in knowing more about the actual goggles referenced, and whether they ever actually existed with dycyanine lenses. Not for any paranormal reason.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Or maybe all the  drugs soldiers were given had side effects?
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/04/the-drugs-that-built-a-super-soldier/477183/
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#14]

I always enjoy this topic when it comes up

Here’s a thread with pics from @jwramp
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Let-s-See-Some-Red-Phosphor-Christmas-Tree-Night-Vision/18-498793/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Let-s-See-Some-Red-Phosphor-Christmas-Tree-Night-Vision/18-498793/

Thats cool as shit. Santa NODs.

Looking at red just doesn't seem natural at all. Red is also a stressor color, danger, it would have to mess with you. In lower resolution, anything could induce Pareidolia, from birds to bats while in the air.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Fascinating stuff, O.P.  Thanks for sharing.

I’d like to be able to purchase red night vision goggles, preferably without the demons.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:

I’d like to be able to purchase red night vision goggles, preferably without the demons.
View Quote

I mean, I kinda want the one with the Demon vision.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#17]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag....
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#19]
In many movies and documentaries, they use "temperature drop" as triggers for cameras and seeing paranormal activity.

But not once have I seen through my own thermals a spirit or entity or whatever anywhere.  Nor have I seen any actual recordings of such, which is odd considering most modern thermals have recording ability... so if ghosts were as common as people claim, someone somewhere would have recorded evidence on their thermals.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#20]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
In many movies and documentaries, they use "temperature drop" as triggers for cameras and seeing paranormal activity.

But not once have I seen through my own thermals a spirit or entity or whatever anywhere.  Nor have I seen any actual recordings of such, which is odd considering most modern thermals have recording ability... so if ghosts were as common as people claim, someone somewhere would have recorded evidence on their thermals.
View Quote

I know I've posted it here many times and guys are probably sick of me sharing but here's a video I caught with a pvs14. Granted I've recorded hundreds of hours since and this is all I've ever caught

Ghost/figure/thing? caught on PVS14
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

I want you to get some too! Let me know how it works out I'm super curious myself. Lol
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I know I've posted it here many times and guys are probably sick of me sharing but here's a video I caught with a pvs14. Granted I've recorded hundreds of hours since and this is all I've ever caught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QmsetAG4hw
View Quote

Dude.  Thats awesome. I saw it in the first full speed pass and thought someone was in that room.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By brass:

Not sure how big of gimmick, but "synthetic reproduction" Dicyanine dye glasses are sold at a site that only sells them.  

Might just be indigo optical filters and nothing special regarding spectral shifting, don't know.   The stuff is also what makes CD/DVD-RW drives writable but it fades after 50-100 years so DVD recorded are good for 75 years on the safe side.  Didn't realize the 'archival life' was that short.
View All Quotes

Not sure how big of gimmick, but "synthetic reproduction" Dicyanine dye glasses are sold at a site that only sells them.  

Might just be indigo optical filters and nothing special regarding spectral shifting, don't know.   The stuff is also what makes CD/DVD-RW drives writable but it fades after 50-100 years so DVD recorded are good for 75 years on the safe side.  Didn't realize the 'archival life' was that short.

Those look interesting. Used for viewing people’s auras.  My wife swears she can see auras on people since her NDE.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#24]

I want you to get some too! Let me know how it works out I'm super curious myself. Lol
View All Quotes

I am trying to wrap my head around how they could work.  I understand we see/sense a very narrow band of the EM spectrum. Are these enhancing our perception of the spectrum or opening it up and translating it to be within our visual perception?  I hear of multi-spectral vision too, I assume it adds other parts of the spectrum to the visual, like IR/UV/Microwave/Radio?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#26]
It’s an entertaining topic but IMHO it’s simply human psychology manifesting fears/images (boogie man).

If you’ve been out in the legit boonies on dark dark nights under nods where apex predators lurk, your brain and imagination can play tricks on you, and by making the phosphor red I can see that being a total mind fuck, lol

Hell, I’ve seen guys get spooked in places where there is 100% absolutely nothing dangerous lurking around.

Especially in the Vietnamese jungle with older NV tech images will be pretty blobby so the brain has a lot more “creative freedom”.
View Quote

Agree, I saw someone get freaked out in the woods just a couple weeks ago. Coyotes started going off, and to his credit, if you've never heard them before they kind of sound like children yelling at first. Which is unsettling at midnight 15 miles from the nearest home. But yeah that element of being in the middle of nowhere with nods gets to people.

I'm only slightly paranoid because I had a mama bear charge me on a night walk once with nods. She followed me back all the way to the house. Not a fun time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QmsetAG4hw
View Quote

That hunched over old lady ghost noticed you could now see her when you freaked out like that so she went and found a new home without a night vision enthusiast.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel like red really fucks with your vision/head.

Virtuaboy for example flopped.pretty hard due to side effects.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#29]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

That hunched over old lady ghost noticed you could now see her when you freaked out like that so she went and found a new home without a night vision enthusiast.
View Quote

Ha, maybe. No freaking out though. I turned around because I heard dishes shift in the sink but the kitchen was empty so I kept goofing off. I didn't see anything until I checked the recording. I killed the audio except for when the dishes shift, you can kind of hear it. Otherwise it was all breathing, that recorder sucked.. Too bad I didn't have this one back then.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]

How was the bear holding the nods on her head?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:16:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Looking at red just doesn't seem natural at all. Red is also a stressor color, danger, it would have to mess with you. In lower resolution, anything could induce Pareidolia, from birds to bats while in the air.
View All Quotes

From a practical standpoint, I’d actually be pretty interested in red phosphor tubes. Red damages your natural night vision the least, so it makes sense to use red.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top