Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2024 12:01:57 AM EDT
My son in law is an USAF officer who had an EID explode near his humvee and it knocked him around pretty good in the vehicle.  He took a good hit to his elbow and a couple years later needed some surgery to fix something.  I don't know a lot of details but he was serving in Afghanistan at the time.  Would he rate a Purple Heart, seems like he would from what I read.  Does he apply or needs to get recommended.  He's never said anything about it, he's kinda quiet about certain things.  Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
yes: (e) Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions.

Medical documentation and/or witness statements will be required.  If he is still in it will be easier than if he's out.

18Z50....PH 5/1/2002
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
yes: (e) Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions.

Medical documentation and/or witness statements will be required.  If he is still in it will be easier than if he's out.

18Z50....PH 5/1/2002
View Quote

Yeah but OP doesn't mention head trauma.

The rest of the post is correct, he'd need some way to link the IED to the surgery, as in medical documents at the time or witness statements.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck on this.  I was shot in the back during a mission by one of my Iraqi's and it my medic treated me I got new plates but I was not evacuated due to the armor stopping the shot.  The VA says I have never been issued and so does the Army.  Hopefully he can get this because after two years of trying to get my back injury added they finally added my feet after trying for 7 years.  My medic was not American, so I have no idea how to get in contact with him because he is not in the military any longer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top