Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 7:14:22 PM EDT
I'm sure it has been discussed here:
The U.S. government will require automatic emergency braking systems in all new cars beginning in 2029. Some already have it.

Automatic emergency braking systems detect an object in a car's way and brake to try to avoid an accident. Early versions of the technology could avoid hitting a stopped car. Newer versions are designed to detect smaller objects.

The systems attempt to stop a car completely to prevent an accident. If they fail at that, they may still slow the car, drastically reducing the collision's severity.
View Quote
My 2015 Nissan Titan does not have automatic braking.

But as my truck was being pulled through a robo car wash today, and the big rollers were in front scrubbing the grill, I got to wondering if automatic braking will apply the brakes in such a situation.

The guy at the robo car wash always says, "Put it in neutral and keep you foot off the brake."

So . . . will the auto braking try to apply the brakes in a robo wash or is auto braking defeated when you put the transmission in neutral?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used pull-through washes several times with my CX-5 with no problems.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You can turn it off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Wheels are not rolling in most washes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t you be in neutral?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
You can turn it off.
View Quote

You can in my Outback too.  If I remember correctly, you have a WRX?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Early versions of the technology could avoid hitting a stopped car. Newer versions are designed to detect smaller objects.
View Quote

I really don't want my car auto-braking for bunnies, mosquitoes, and raindrops.

Deer is about the reasonable limitation and small humans.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JBear:
Wouldn’t you be in neutral?
View Quote

This, you're in neutral so it would not activate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Never been an issue for me, and I am at the carwash twice a week on average.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Our Sonata has emergency braking. It goes through the wash weekly, no problems. It's all turned off in nuetral.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Not an issue with my current cars.

But wow, don't be like me and not learn how to turn if off before trying to back up a trailer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
On Ford Super Duty trucks it is not active while in neutral.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#12]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
I'm sure it has been discussed here:
The U.S. government will require automatic emergency braking systems in all new cars beginning in 2029. Some already have it.

Automatic emergency braking systems detect an object in a car's way and brake to try to avoid an accident. Early versions of the technology could avoid hitting a stopped car. Newer versions are designed to detect smaller objects.

The systems attempt to stop a car completely to prevent an accident. If they fail at that, they may still slow the car, drastically reducing the collision's severity.
View Quote
My 2015 Nissan Titan does not have automatic braking.

But as my truck was being pulled through a robo car wash today, and the big rollers were in front scrubbing the grill, I got to wondering if automatic braking will apply the brakes in such a situation.

The guy at the robo car wash always says, "Put it in neutral and keep you foot off the brake."

So . . . will the auto braking try to apply the brakes in a robo wash or is auto braking defeated when you put the transmission in neutral?
View Quote

No, there is a minimum speed and a minimum speed differential for them to engage. First vehicle I got with automatic braking I spent some time in the parking lot with piles of boxes trying to make it trigger. Gotta get a decent bit of speed up (25mph iirc) I also tried following my buddy super close to make it trigger, it wouldn't do it - manufacturer docs say minimum 15mph speed differential.

6 years later, it's never triggered on the road.

ETA there are also systems intended to stop you from hitting parked vehicles/walls, etc. These could be problematic but they usually disengage when in neutral. This is not what is being mandated.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
My truck has it. This thought never even entered my mind as your vehicle is in neutral and the tires are not moving.

I have had my alarms go off at various times driving but not once has it applied the brakes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
We've run the 2024 RAV4 through the automatic carwash several times in the month we've had it.  No issues.

The BMW goes wild.  No brakes but one time it'll honk the horn every little bit, the next time the proximity sensors front and rear flash like strobe lights and the alarms over power the music.  I thought I knew how to turn them off.  But I was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#15]
My Wife's Forester has it. Our car wash doesn't pull the car, the machine moves.

It has saved her from hitting a Deer, and from a car that went through a red light.

I'm glad she has it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks folks for the feedback. Makes sense.

(Our 2 rpbp car washes move the vehicle by means of a sliding track on the driver's side of the vehicle. The passenger tires roll along on the concrete. That's why you have to be in neutral and avoid mashing the brake pedal.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeryAverage] [#17]
I know the cool thing is to hate new technology, but automatic braking works great.

My 2018 Honda Accord had it, and went through automatic washes many times. No issues. The feature did possibly avoid a collision once when someone pulled out past a vehicle turning and into the middle lane I was traveling down. He couldn’t see me coming, and it was late at night and I was tired so my reaction time wasn’t ideal. The car began braking before I also hit the brakes. It reacted faster than I was able to.

It did falsely trigger once, but hitting the accelerator again quickly overrode it. I think it was a very pronounced shadow in the road, but I’m not entirely sure. It happened once in five years.

My 2023 Toyota Tacoma has it. I’ve never had a false trigger but it has alerted a few times when I got near a vehicle that was turning off onto a side street. It’s at maximum sensitivity, though, and I could easily adjust it down if I wanted to. I don’t feel the need. No problems in automatic washes.

Automatic braking works and works well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:

It did falsely trigger once, but hitting the accelerator again quickly overrode it. I think it was a very pronounced shadow in the road, but I'm not entirely sure. It happened once in five years.

View Quote
My 18 oddy sometimes will go off on tar strips across the road.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:
I know the cool thing is to hate new technology, but automatic braking works great.

My 2018 Honda Accord had it, and went through automatic washes many times. No issues. The feature did possibly avoid a collision once when someone pulled out past a vehicle turning and into the middle lane I was traveling down. He couldn’t see me coming, and it was late at night and I was tired so my reaction time wasn’t ideal. The car began braking before I also hit the brakes. It reacted faster than I was able to.

It did falsely trigger once, but hitting the accelerator again quickly overrode it. I think it was a very pronounced shadow in the road, but I’m not entirely sure. It happened once in five years.

My 2023 Toyota Tacoma has it. I’ve never had a false trigger but it has alerted a few times when I got near a vehicle that was turning off onto a side street. It’s at maximum sensitivity, though, and I could easily adjust it down if I wanted to. I don’t feel the need. No problems in automatic washes.

Automatic braking works and works well.
View Quote

One of my cars will false trigger if a car turns off slowly in front of me and the computer thinks it is still in front when it isn't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:

One of my cars will false trigger if a car turns off slowly in front of me and the computer thinks it is still in front when it isn't.
View Quote

My car has done that a few times.  I realized that I was actually kinda cutting it close in going past/around them, so I try to make an effort to not get so close when passing a turning car.

So it’s actually helped my driving.  
Top Top