Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:11 AM EDT
After more than two weeks in the field, I found a blown over cherry tree. It has to be 3' at the base.

My chain saw only has a 20" blade so I could only cut up the upper sections.

My question: The bark comes off very easily from every log. There are critters in the soft outer wood while the cherry heartwood looks to be fine.

With my slabs be OK?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Air dry up off the ground on some cinder blocks, snickered between each board (spacer).   Cover stack to keep rain off but yet allow air flow through the stack.   Take the bark off when you stack that way the larvae will have no place to live.  I suppose you could spray with some insecticide- I never have.   You should be fine.  
When you slab the big log you will see if any bugs are tunneling into the wood anyways.  Even with a chainsaw mill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. On the very small logs (branches) there were carpenter ants. They had cut their caves right through the heartwood. What assholes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
To keep any bugs from attacking while drying.Get some 20 mule team Borax. Mix 8 table spoons with a gallon of water. Use hot water so the borax dissolves easily. Then use a garden sprayer and spray the slab all around.  Borax WILL NOT affect the color or usability of the wood. But will keep any bugs from the wood. You should also coat the ends of the slab with a water proofing of some type. That will keep it from cracking while it dries.

I run a sawmill and do this to all my slabs and cut lumber. The water proofing goes on the logs before I saw them but you can do it after you slab the log as long as the slabs haven't started to crack. Best to do when in log state.

EBR
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the tips. A few days left in the field before I can gather up all the tools to start slabbing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top