Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 12:36:49 PM EDT
Looking to get a pair of boots.  But I'm curious how tight should these be and what kind of socks do you normally wear with them?  I went to Chuck's Boots near me and was trying some on.  The 9's were so tight I couldn't get my foot in, but the 9.5 were too loose.  But I started thinking, do you wear a thicker sock with these on general?  I was thinking of going back with some of my heavier boot socks and trying those 9.5's again.   How tight should new boots be?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FOX_OSCAR_hook] [#1]
I've had good luck with the Wrangler boot socks. I usually go .5 size larger in boots and the socks make them fit nicely.
Try various boot/sock combos. In the end, it's your feet and you're the one who knows what's comfortable
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive worn them my whole life.   I typically just wear regular long socks.   Different brand boots fit differently.  Dan Post are typically the best "out of the box" fit in my opinion.  Anderson Bean usually fit snug in the ankle while Tony Lama's are loose fitting all over.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have worn all kinds of western boots (including steel toes) for most of my life. Depending on the boot type I might wear regular socks or some kinds of boot/work sock.

What you will find is that mass produced boot brands all fit differently. Even boot style - toe, heel, etc.  You need to try a variety of brands out to find the one that best fits your foot.  Then look for the styles you like.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha.  I'm going to have to go back up there and try more on, they have a shitload.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Any full length crew sock. For walking boot, go with a roper with a walking heel. For great fit from new, I haven’t been able to beat Lucchese smooth ostrich. And, they are tough enough to wear through several soles
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Any full length crew sock. For walking boot, go with a roper with a walking heel. For great fit from new, I haven’t been able to beat Lucchese smooth ostrich. And, they are tough enough to wear through several soles
View Quote

Got a pair of these a few years ago with a "working" sole (kinda like a crepe sole) -- i have no doubts they will last a lifetime -- full thickness leather on the shaft too -   only downside is they are heavy as heck
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve worn nothing but Anderson bean for 15 years. square toe. I wear regular ankle socks like I would with tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't found anything in my price range that really fits my square feet.  I will keep looking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:50:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#9]
Leather will stretch over time. Better to get something a little tight when new, vs "just right" off the shelf.
Maybe compare a 9D vs 9E
Depends on the liner on which socks I wear. A good boot will have a very comfortable and well made liner.
Some boots I wear ankle socks, some boots I wear taller socks because the stitching and seams bother me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I have some square toe ariats for everyday wear, and wear french toe lucchese for work and formal.  As for socks, I wear the same socks that I wear in uniform on the weekends; darn tough midweight socks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top