Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2023 2:32:20 PM EDT
Hoping those of you with more experience with rescue dogs can chime in. About 2 months I adopted a rescue dog. She is approximately 14 months old. A boxer mix. (Not a pit bull)

She had been in the shelter for months. Ziva is very shy. Almost afraid of her own shadow. Have taken her to vet. Several trips to the groomer for bath and nails.

She has never barked. Does not whip her tail. Very gentle nature but very shy.

Have been working with a professional trainer. Today we are trying doggie day care to help expand her socialization.

She lives inside. Has a fenced yard and gets walked daily.

How long will it take this child to trust us?

My wife is retired and is home with her most days. She is in a kind, loving environment. No children.

We have read and tried to be very consistent, loving and gentle.

Please share your experience
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Very difficult to answer that question.  It depends on her innate personality, how much abuse she's encountered, and her current environment.  She may never fully become outgoing and confident.  Be patient and let her learn to trust you at her pace.  Give her one reason not to trust you and she may never.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Impossible to know.

It is part biological, part (past) environmental, and part (current) environmental.

From my experiences she may never be the dog you're hoping she could become.  However, she might also turn the corner.

Be patient and accept her as is or rehome her to a family that wants a dog with her behavioral characteristics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
find a young golden for a playmate
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
We had one rescue (Mabel) that ran upstairs and hid every day when I came home from work.  She’d eventually come back downstairs to be with us and our other 2 dogs, but never left my wife’s side. Then one day, my wife had all 3 of our dogs outside when I got home work.  Mabel ran up to my car with the other two dogs. From that day on, Mabel was my dog. It was strange how she went from total fear to complete devotion like that. We assume her first owner was a male that abused her.

All that is to say - there’s no telling if or when she’ll change. Just love her and try to give her the best life you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top