Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2024 10:01:44 PM EDT
Figured this would be the forum to ask, if not, please have it moved to the appropriate one.

I've never been mechanically inclined and have a very rudimentary understanding of the workings of engines and all the other non-sense in an automobile. I now have a HMMWV that I can get running and diagnose some issues with thanks to the available manuals. However, I would like a better understanding of what is going on beyond the manuals. For a few reasons. First and foremost being that I'll probably end up trying to acquire a 7-ton or a deuce and a half eventually for shits and giggles as well.

So my first question is, are current programs relevant to older diesel technology? (lets say 2004-2010) Is there a worthwhile amount of overlap between automotive technology courses to make it a potential worthwhile alternative to a course specialized in diesel technology?

I appreciate any and all input. Hope you all enjoyed your weekend.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
While diesels used to be stupid engines, [needing only fuel and air] now they are very complex due to emission limits.

There are some commonalities between gas and diesel, but much of it is different.

Really doubt any school teaches much about 20-year-old technology other than to say this is the way it used to be.

There will always be a place for techs that can work on older vehicles but most shops will need employees trained in newer designs.

Not sure if that's what you're asking, my 2C.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Agree with above. You look at our diesels and you would have no idea it’s a diesel, just looks like an engine with hoses and sensors everywhere. Glow plugs instead of spark plugs, that’s about it.

The tech schools I’m around are building technicians to get a job, 10-15 year old cars to current. The diesel programs are tearing down 2024 semi trucks and Caterpillars fresh off the assembly line. They are well funded and supported by local companies, we even have a hiring requirement tied to our support.

You need what the young kids call an old head. No one is teaching that stuff, you know it or you don’t.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck. 2004-2010 spans the pre and post DEF era, also in cylinder EGR popularity.

A 2010 setup will be close enough to current an automotive or diesel course will be similar with current year stuff.

2005-2010 things changed fast on diesels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Our shop is rebuilding plenty of older diesel engines. I am currently rebuilding an entire machine that was originally sold in 1998. Our customer rebuild these old machine because they are simple, reliable and its cost effective. Last year I rebuilt a pre emission excavator because it had no emissions. That was the only reason and it cost about the same as a new machine.

We sponsor student at a few different local tech schools and we have an apprentice program. The apprentices learn the older engines and older machines along with brand new machines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top