Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD]
First question, can I expect blown head gaskets in cold weather with the iron block and aluminum heads?

Will my stock th-350 handle the power with 35" tires?

I'm sure I will think of other questions...

I'd really like to keep my 6 lug axles, should I be looking at upgrading them too?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tjcj] [#1]
You will be fine . I had a 383 Stroker in my 77 Short / widebox Chevy  on 35s and 10 bolts for a few years .. That motor went in my brother's 71 Chevy 10 boktds and 38s when I did the 1 Ton swap , 44" Boggers and 502 motor .
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Should have no problems with head gaskets assuming they are quality parts. Lots of iron blocks and aluminum heads running around.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I doubt I'll drive it much in the winter, so blueprint 383 is still the plan. What flexplate will I need? Anything else I should do when I do the engine swap? Been a while since I've done a project like this.

I know I need to drain the gas tank, get a new fuel filter, and then I need to figure out why I pinched the brake line off above my rear axle with vice grips. Lol

Anyways, here's some pics I just went out and took. Got a little bodywork to do. I'm thinking satin black. Murdered out. No chrome.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll be alright
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember reading a lot of bad stuff about blueprint motors a few years back.  Do your homework.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
Ok I doubt I'll drive it much in the winter, so blueprint 383 is still the plan. What flexplate will I need? Anything else I should do when I do the engine swap? Been a while since I've done a project like this.

I know I need to drain the gas tank, get a new fuel filter, and then I need to figure out why I pinched the brake line off above my rear axle with vice grips. Lol

Anyways, here's some pics I just went out and took. Got a little bodywork to do. I'm thinking satin black. Murdered out. No chrome.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111611/1000002338-3117278.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111611/1000002339-3117280.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111611/1000002341-3117282.jpg

View Quote

The parts you will need are on the Blueprint website and their descriptions are very clear.  Also, the exhaust ports are 1/2 inch higher than stock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#7]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
I remember reading a lot of bad stuff about blueprint motors a few years back.  Do your homework.
View Quote
Things have changed.    Blueprint manufactures engines with all new parts and have some pretty decent innovations.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Should have no problems with head gaskets assuming they are quality parts. Lots of iron blocks and aluminum heads running around.
View Quote

Duramax diesel engines, for one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Lot of ways to build  " A 383 ci chevy "
Too many possible variables  for anyone  to guess at your flywheel.
this is important, so I will capitalize:  THE BALANCE OF THE CRANKSHAFT DICTATES WHICH FLEXPLATE, FLYWHEEL AND HARMONIC BALANCER  YOU NEED.
I have a 383 crate engine from GM, internal balance, uses NO weights on the flywheel.

There are MANY 383 which use weighted flywheel ( flexplate) and front damper, that is EXTERNAL balance.\ Depends who assembled the motor, and what CRANKshaft they used.
Re-stated another way for clarity, Internal balance crankshaft needs no weights on flywheel/flexplate.
EXTERNAL balance crankshaft absolutely REQUIRES correct weights on flyweel/flexplate AND harmonic balancer.
Only your engine builder can know what crankshaft is in that motor.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I will mostly drive it on the street. I wouldn't say I'm an aggressive driver, but I'm no grandpa either. I get a wild hair once in a while. Any suggestions on a radiator?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Striker:

No issues. There are thousands of iron block, aluminum head ls engines out there.

Hard to answer that without knowing your driving style,etc. but..my brother had a 80's 4x4 jimmy with a 383 stroker bolted to a th350 and he used it to plow snow with no issues... I'd strongly suggest an aux trans cooler though to work with the one in the rad.

How many ponies and twisties is the engine putting out?
You going to rock crawl, drag race or mostly drive it on the street?

ETA..I had a 72 gmc. it was a  rust bucket but man had some great times in it.
View Quote
All very good answers, I will also add you will want some sort of stall converter.  Without it it will feel like it's pushing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#14]

I'd strongly suggest an aux trans cooler though to work with the one in the rad.

How many ponies and twisties is the engine putting out?
You going to rock crawl, drag race or mostly drive it on the street?
View Quote

How do I even go about researching aux trans coolers? The engine I'm looking at has 430 horse and around 440 torque. Will be mostly a street queen, but I will take it out to prairie dog towns and such.

Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
All very good answers, I will also add you will want some sort of stall converter.  Without it it will feel like it's pushing.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm thinking a 2200-2400 rpm stall. They don't go into 100% lockup at that rpm right? I've never messed with stall converters.
As for a rad..the biggest one you can fit in there. IIRC there is plenty of room for one. Go 4 core.
Are you running the mechanical fan or electric? Either way...put a good shroud on the rad
View Quote

I would like a 4 core, and I think I want to stick with a mechanical fan, just for reliability. Any specific ones I should be looking at? I really would like to use a shroud. The biggest thing with my blazer is I want to make it reliable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
A turbo 350 transmission does not have lock up unless it's a later th350c which I doubt you have.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Trans coolers are a universal thing. If it was me I'd get a decent size one  as you have the real estate in front of the rad for it.
Heat kills transmissions

Rads are one of those what are you willing to pay parts. an OEM style one would be less spendy than an aftermarket aluminum one.
Price them on rock auto and say summit and see what's out there.
Electric fans now are a lot more reliable then back in the day. the 2 on my 08 sierra haven't skipped a beat...
If you want to kill a bunch of birds with one wrench you can buy rad kits that come with the shroud and mounted fans. Pretty much plug and play.
If you do stick with a mechanical fan get one with a clutch..
View Quote

Thanks man! I got the old girl pushed into my shop this week after I cleaned my shop out. Replaced two brake lines in the rear and bled both of them. Pulled the gas tank to find out it was a repro tank with that short stubby filler neck soldered on to it, so I ordered a new tank with the correct filler tube coming off of it. When I pulled that tank out I found one of the vent lines was crushed, so I ordered all three of those.

Also ordered new body mounts and bolts, and some add a leafs to hopefully get rid of the ass-sag.

Once I get all that done, I'll order a new radiator, and change oil in both diffs and transfer case. I'm getting excited!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
As said, electric fans aren't bad now, but the rest of the electrical system has to be up for it, they pull some power. For a chevy someone likely makes a kit to adapt OE late model ones to your truck. Easy button if you have the supporting electrical system. No need for a ginormous custom radiator if the cooling system is done properly.

Biggest trans cooler you can fit in front the radiator, stacked plate, and good lines. Gearing will have a huge impact on how it drives and how happy the trans is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a great birthday weekend in the shop. Just got the add a leafs in. Much better stance.

Also got a new heater core and blower motor today.

Best birthday I've had in quite a while!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
looking good. I set your thread not to archive so when this goes way over budget your thread will still be here after your bank account is empty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
looking good. I set your thread not to archive so when this goes way over budget your thread will still be here after your bank account is empty.
View Quote

What budget?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a dent side Ford guy, but GM got it right with that body style Blazer.

Will be watching this one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#24]

What budget?

Thanks!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Got 4 of 12 body mounts done before I have to go to work tonight...

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered a champion aluminum radiator last night after hearing from a couple guys at work experiences.

So now, if I can get my fuel lines and tank installed, along with all my body mounts finished next week while I'm off work I think that will be a pretty good weekend. then, all I need to do is figure out paint, so I can paint the firewall while the engine is out.  and order fenders/fender skirts. and a new core support, as one side is rusted through on the bottom pretty bad.

Cubic dollars.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Had quite a day today. Finished my body mounts, got new vent lines ran (don't buy new lines from inline tube. They just aren't even close). New filler hose, gas tank mounted and hooked up, then I moved my rear axle back 1", using my zero rates. Looks way better.

Then I pulled the engine. I'll get pics tomorrow. I think I'll start on bodywork and let my bank account catch up a bit.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's a before and after of the rear axle move...

Anybody know for sure what this line is for? I'm thinking a fuel vent to a charcoal canister that has been removed. Wtf do I do with it?

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, the engine bay cleaned up nice...

There's only one spot that I can see so far that I will have to weld up.

Started on the worst fender... Still not sure if I'll save it or not.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#30]
After wrenching on this thing for two days my hands are toast. Got up this morning and they were both almost locked up. Is that what arthritis is?

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#31]
After wrenching on this thing for two days my hands are toast. Got up this morning and they were both almost locked up. Is that what arthritis is?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111611/1000002532-3164931.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111611/1000002533-3164932.jpg
View Quote
Probably just over worked.  It happened to me after months of 12 hours days and 7 day weeks.  I had to work my hands in to even start my day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I just saw this thread, my 76 w/ 35s mild 350 build and a 4 speed could destroy a Ujoint at will with a hard shift.
I think the K5 is even shorter wheelbase, steeper driveshaft angle.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#33]
A couple more questions...

Everyone is pretty much agreeing that the stock th350 will be enough? Should I pop the pan off and at least change the filter?

Color. Now is the time to paint everything under the hood. I am going back and forth daily between a satin black single stage or just do a black base/clear. What's your guy's opinion?

I saw a picture a while ago of a black pickup but everything that wasn't exterior was painted bright orange. It looked pretty damn good. I don't think I'd go orange, but maybe a medium green?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krazydaddy2] [#34]
Turbo 400 is the better transmission.   What transfer case you got.   Some blazers had 203.  You can double stack onto a 205 and have tons of power.   You may be able to find interchangeable parts off 250 -350 trucks.

Also the 10 bolts are open diffs 35s will be fine.  If you lock the diff.  The 35 will pop quickly in certain situations.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
205 tcase.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I would have the 350 granny serviced and gone through if it was me. Same for all diffs and T case.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD] [#37]
Cut off one of my rocker panels today. Surprise, there's no inner rocker left.

Ordered inner fenders, inner rockers, primer and paint.

It's been an expensive day.

Edit: also patched the rust hole in the firewall today.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
I just saw this thread, my 76 w/ 35s mild 350 build and a 4 speed could destroy a Ujoint at will with a hard shift.
I think the K5 is even shorter wheelbase, steeper driveshaft angle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413906/76-chevy-1923431.jpg
View Quote

Mine done broke something.  Still investigating what it is.  
Its currently looking like it was running on 7 cylinders and still had enough balls to break the flexplate.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/134-2714904/?r=-1&page=1
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Mine done broke something.  Still investigating what it is.  
Its currently looking like it was running on 7 cylinders and still had enough balls to break the flexplate.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/134-2714904/?r=-1&page=1
View Quote

Damn dude!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Just ordered new exhaust pipe and mufflers... Now to figure out which Hedman Hedders will fit the blazer and the raised port heads on that blueprint motor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Just got off the phone with Hedman... They got me for another 700 bucks. ships in about 5 weeks he said. Ok. Now, I should have everything I need ordered except motor and trans. I officially feel like I'm spending money with nothing to show for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, bodywork on both fenders are pretty much done minus one patch panel I will have to make because rust. Also started rust proofing the frame and whatnot. Pic dump.

Hole in firewall patched up

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Pulled trans out today and cleaned it up. Started cleaning transfer case.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD] [#44]
well upon further investigation and thought, I ordered a new core support because it was rusted out. one good hole in the bottom of it I was just going to patch, but after looking at it more, I realized it was rusting all along the bottom seam.

Got my tax return also, so I ordered new fenders, because a previous owner put so much bondo over aluminum tape and didnt bother to weld the holes from the molding.

also ordered all new core support, fender and fenderwell bolts and Jclips. and Rad mounts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Looking good man! Rebuilding vehicles is a bunch of money spent with nothing to show, until the end, then it’s all worth it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, I did a little soul searching this winter after I had my DD (02 GMC Sierra standard cab shortbox) go down because of a fuel pump. I figured I could save a little, and go buy a new pickup for 70k that is just going to go down in value, or I could build my blazer. Glad I went this route, but man, I just want to order all new shit for it right now! Definitely testing my patience, especially in this cold damn weather this week. I don't function real well in a cold shop with cold tools.

I'm ready for spring!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD] [#47]
Started getting parts in today! I'm getting excited!

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#48]
More stuff today. Fuckin ups guy insists on slammed ng boxes on my porch as hard as he can. 4 1/2 hours of sleep today. Working rotating 12 hour shifts sucks, but the money is good.

Inner fenders: what kind of coating should I put on the tire side of these?

Just waiting for one more patch panel for the bottom of the "b pillar". In prep for that, I put my door back on, and this is all the vertical adjustment I can give it... Can I live with it, or should I fudge the body line on the quarter with my patch panel?

A little feedback would be nice!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#49]
If it were me, I couldn’t live with that; my OCD would kill me!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By matt58:
If it were me, I couldn’t live with that; my OCD would kill me!!!
View Quote

Yeah, I can't see a way around it now, other than re-skinning the door. The top body line is the same way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top