Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2024 5:31:43 PM EDT
I didn't do much of a search, so ignore this if it's already answered 87 times in this forum, but quick question:

- I've been invited to a supercar (Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.) tour for a few days and would be taking photos/video/drone footage of the event.

- I've never had a drone

- Can I learn to take decent drone footage in a few month's time?  Without crashing 19 expensive drones in the meantime?

- I'd be looking for a drone that's not terribly expensive.  They aren't expecting pro-quality work, just some interesting footage of the cars and scenery.  This will be in the mountains of Colorado in remote places.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#1]
Get this and start flying.

Potensuc Atom $300

The more you fly, the better you get.

Sub-250g drones don't require registration. This brand and others are not geofenced and don't broadcast IFF.  DJI and other brands are, and do.

Keep in mind that you are supposed to register yourself and your drone if you're flying for any commercial purpose, regardless of if you get paid.  In Minecraft.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Get this and start flying.

Potensuc Atom $300

The more you fly, the better you get.

Sub-250g drones don't require registration. This brand and others are not geofenced and don't broadcast IFF.  DJI and other brands are, and do.

Keep in mind that you are supposed to register yourself and your drone if you're flying for any commercial purpose, regardless of if you get paid.  In Minecraft.
View Quote

You actually need a license to use a drone for commercial use, not just registration. .
https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WWolfe] [#3]
Thanks guys.

I'm not doing it for commercial purposes - just doing it as a hobby as part of this tour.  I know most of the people on the tour and won't be selling the video.  They aren't paying, either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
Thanks guys.

I'm not doing it for commercial purposes - just doing it as a hobby as part of this tour.  I know most of the people on the tour and won't be selling the video.  They aren't paying, either.
View Quote

That is still considered commercial per their definitions.

Taking footage of anything that isn't strictly personally recreational, aka for fun, is considered commercial. Even if volunteering. Even without compensation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, read through the rules, if you think the ATF is bad with braced pistols and bump stocks, FAA has them beat.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Yeah, read through the rules, if you think the ATF is bad with braced pistols and bump stocks, FAA has them beat.

View Quote

Sad ..but true.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
There's some 3rd party software (iphone only) that lets you set pretty elaborate predefined patterns for your drone to fly.  It can follow your car while doing circular patterns and shit.   I know it supports the dji stuff.

And i'm fairly certain i saw something about if you are flying a drone over other people, you're supposed to be licensed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Just check out Philly Drone Life on youtube!  Racked up over $182,000 in fines so far!

I fly out in the middle of nowhere at my range.  Flying DJI and Potensic.  Flew R/C helis for 20 years so drones are a breeze.

It won't take you long to master flying, composition is another story.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#9]
If you were local I would ride along to do FPV drone follow/chase footage.   Hit some of the remote roads and not be bothered.

Just dont post shit online and make it easy to find.

With wild flower season approaching I am hoping to get out with my own cars eventually, yank/cover the plates and have at it.    Hard to find like minded friends with a schedule of matching days off.

These days a 360 camera on a selfie stick off the back of the car almost does as well of a job as an FPV drone after you edit the field of view.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I just snagged the Potensic Atom Fly more kit to get into Drones. I chose it after a shit load of research and like the poster above said, no ID or licensing requirements and no Geo Fencing. Has great reviews, three 32 min batteries and a 3 axis Gimbal.

Looking forward to using it when I head out into the woods and around the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top