[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#2]
Hit quote instead of edit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
USMC

Huey/Cobra Squadron

AH-1Z pilot whose call sign was “Mongoose” because he downed (“killed”) every AH-1Z Super Cobra he flew.

UH-1Y pilot who’s call sign was “Scandal” because she liked junior enlisted dick.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R0N:

A slight thread side bar, but I have long discussion with AF cyber guys on why the concept of all cyber systems are weapons, both on the OCO and DCO side, makes it hard for kinetic fires guys to take them serious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:
Originally Posted By Crash_Test_Dhimmi:

As Cyber is an offensive tool (weapon) cyber operators also receive call signs.

A slight thread side bar, but I have long discussion with AF cyber guys on why the concept of all cyber systems are weapons, both on the OCO and DCO side, makes it hard for kinetic fires guys to take them serious.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I occasionally work with a retired AF fellow that was given the call sign Spaz. He will not talk about how he acquired it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Taft:
As a ROMAD early in my career and during training they discovered I was from a small area south of Bakersfield CA. hence my callsign was "Weedpatch".
View Quote
Class #?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
We hired an ex military pilot into our flight department when I was flying corporate.
He tried his best to get us to call him by his military call sign and we all refused.
We actually gave him a new call sign that he hated.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in south eastern Virginia. There are a plethora of folks with call signs here. Just a few are Eagle, Tool, Crunchy, Buick, Squeaky, Demo, Killer, Snoop, Snort, Fistmeet, Bean   and many others..these span many ages and platforms and are great people that I am proud to know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My Ranger company battle buddy eventually went to Navy Flight OCS once he graduated with an Agricultural Economics degree.  As an ensign with gold naval aviator wings and army jump wings his F-14 callsign was "Sarge."

Another ensign in his squadron was Rickey Ricardo.  They saddled him with "Retardo."

I was assisting in a sniper match.  The stage boss asked for additional stress on the participants besides the stopwatch.  Other stage support guys obliged with shouting and noise in traditional Marine fashion, trying to bump up the adrenaline and stress factor.

Once a sniper got to me I just told him in a matter-of-fact tone, "The pace you are moving is insufficient to pass this stage."

One shooter at the after-action told me, "Man,  I've been yelled and screamed at most of my career.  I had tuned out those other guys -- I was balls-out pushing as hard as I could. You just telling me I wasn't going to make it in conversational tone -- that's just sinister."

<===  Thus callsign.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#10]
I've heard alot of it happens when they finally graduate their flight training or other schooling.

A lot of them are earned by screwups, or because their name lends itself to an easy call sign, usually it's all commonly agreed upon by the group at the time.

After 20+ years in the military there should be something you just stop...like trying to still pretend you're still in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
A good friend of mine that flew for awhile is two bags.  His dreams of flying fighters were dashed that day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
It used to just be a single seat fighter thing, then the heavy dudes got jealous, then everyone else who ever looked at an airplane got jealous and got one too. Means almost nothing anymore. People even change them when they get one they don't like. Much like everything else these days, it's gay and watered down.
View Quote

Gaaaaaay.  The only way it gets changed if you don't like it is to something you like even less.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

Gaaaaaay.  The only way it gets changed if you don't like it is to something you like even less.
View All Quotes
It used to just be a single seat fighter thing, then the heavy dudes got jealous, then everyone else who ever looked at an airplane got jealous and got one too. Means almost nothing anymore. People even change them when they get one they don't like. Much like everything else these days, it's gay and watered down.

Not true.

I know a MH-60 chick who decided hers was 'mean' and got formal recognition of the change to what she wanted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Not true.

I know a MH-60 chick who decided hers was 'mean' and got formal recognition of the change to what she wanted.
View All Quotes

Not true.

I was saying how it is, not how it really happens.  Also the "chick" part is probably relevant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a female F-15 pilot whose call sign was “Combo”, she had big lips and small teeth.

Then there was the poor unlucky guy who was 5’6 who got his call sign right when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out, he was stuck with Frodo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one from the sub I was on, due to my name, most guys on the boat had one. We had an OBGOB, which was only bald guy on board, he had what genetic ever thing that made him have no hair anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Drill Sergeant Potter dubbed me "Hollywood" for wearing prescription Ray-Ban Wayfairers to formation.
Thankfully, it didn't follow me out of Ft. Knox.
View Quote
I have a friend who got Hollywood the exact same way.  Might have been Maui Jims.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember reading Chuck Yeager’s book and don’t recall him discussing any of his call signs. Although given his record and notoriously prickly temperament maybe he got to call himself whatever he wanted.

“Sir, what call sign for today?”
“Fuck off”
“Fuck off it is, thank you sir”
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Call sign generator
View Quote

My CS is Joker
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Don’t try to assign yourself a cool sounding callsign.  That’s gonna backfire on you.  

Like this guy who was from Hollywood so he tried to self assign “Hollywood” as his callsign.  Everyone called him “Burbank” instead.  

Then there’s the TicTac UFO pilot with the last name Fravor.  His callsign was “Sexual”…later just shortened up to “Sex”.
View Quote

We did have an 'Ace' in my squadron.

HOWEVER...

His partner (in crime?) was 'Gary'...

....as in Ace & Gary, the ambiguously gay duo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
In the Air Force, operators of weapons systems get call signs.

There is typically a naming ceremony, that includes alcoholic beverages, and a story with atleast 10% veracity about the person is produced, to legitimize the call sign.

It is then put to a vote, and others may introduce competing call signs.

Some are way out there, some are deserved. Some are really good. The true B!tches will complain to the commander later to get theirs "over turned" and get the name they like.

View Quote

The fucking AOC is considered the 'Falconer' 'weapon system.'

Whatever.

Anyone who isn't rated in the Air Force who has a callsign is a poseur.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:
I just called every Army pilot "chief". I was usually right.
View Quote

There was no feathers in my cap

My user name is my callsign from when I was in B Co 1/24 AVN and became Warlord 35

My CAV callsign was Outlaw 22

In the CAV our scout guys were all Outlaw 1 something and Cobra guys 2 something

In the Attack battalion the scouts were still 1 something and the Apache guys were 2 or 3 something
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]

That is a classic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Out here we have a roll call. Well most units do, the one I work with all the pilots call signs are solidified.

Basically they give a few names from good/bad shit or stuff that goes with their name and people vote on it.

Once you deploy names stuck apparently and is hard to change.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mach:

if you are calling me out, the answer is yes

Brand new 2nd LT number 4 in a 4 ship of Eagles against F-4s.

We committed from the rear of the CAP over the double yellow line of the main road full of restaurants and bars and antique shops in a town, a 180 degree turn  at 90 degrees of bank at 5000 AGL and trying to stay in tactical formation I accidentally went supersonic with the shockwave pointing directly at the ground and blew out many thousands of windows in the main shopping district.

I single handedly destroyed the entire shopping district. It was described as looking like a war zone.

It was a very big deal but we did kill all 4 adversary F-4s, so that was good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
ib MACH.       Did any windows get broken?      

if you are calling me out, the answer is yes

Brand new 2nd LT number 4 in a 4 ship of Eagles against F-4s.

We committed from the rear of the CAP over the double yellow line of the main road full of restaurants and bars and antique shops in a town, a 180 degree turn  at 90 degrees of bank at 5000 AGL and trying to stay in tactical formation I accidentally went supersonic with the shockwave pointing directly at the ground and blew out many thousands of windows in the main shopping district.

I single handedly destroyed the entire shopping district. It was described as looking like a war zone.

It was a very big deal but we did kill all 4 adversary F-4s, so that was good.

Nice!   .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
My Ranger company battle buddy eventually went to Navy Flight OCS once he graduated with an Agricultural Economics degree.  As an ensign with gold naval aviator wings and army jump wings his F-14 callsign was "Sarge."

Another ensign in his squadron was Rickey Ricardo.  They saddled him with "Retardo."

I was assisting in a sniper match.  The stage boss asked for additional stress on the participants besides the stopwatch.  Other stage support guys obliged with shouting and noise in traditional Marine fashion, trying to bump up the adrenaline and stress factor.

Once a sniper got to me I just told him in a matter-of-fact tone, "The pace you are moving is insufficient to pass this stage."

One shooter at the after-action told me, "Man,  I've been yelled and screamed at most of my career.  I had tuned out those other guys -- I was balls-out pushing as hard as I could. You just telling me I wasn't going to make it in conversational tone -- that's just sinister."

<===  Thus callsign.
View Quote

Awesome.  And yeah, that was indeed..
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

My CS is Joker
View All Quotes
Call sign generator

My CS is Joker
Mine CS is Rockshow
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#28]

My CS is Joker
View Quote

Mine is POPE
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Not a call sign per se, although it was used over the radio often enough, but I once stepped out of an HH43 about twenty odd feet above the ground.  When My commanding officer visited me in the hospital, he started with "Who the hell do you thing you are, Tinkerbell?"  It stuck.

I have a few friends from that time that time that still call me Tinkerbell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:30:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6337] [#30]
EPOS

Emergency
Passenger
Oxygen
System

Or… a certain member of the squadron who was a huge shit sandwich of problems, one of which was being 50 pounds overweight…

Enormous
Piece
Of
Shit
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:
Not a call sign per se, although it was used over the radio often enough, but I once stepped out of an HH43 about twenty odd feet above the ground.  When My commanding officer visited me in the hospital, he started with "Who the hell do you thing you are, Tinkerbell?"  It stuck.

I have a few friends from that time that time that still call me Tinkerbell.
View Quote

Lolz.    That was properly earned.   The judges will allow it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
My dad was an RF-4 WSO, during his time in Germany he picked up a variation of our last name combined with Schnitzel, mainly because it rhymed.

After leaving active duty for the ANG, and moving over to the KC-135, he was blessed  with Goose, because he was the first fighter backseater to come to the unit (he's also a Martin Baker tie owner which didn't help)  this was right when the movie came out. The name has stuck ever since. He retired about twelve years ago  we were at an air show at his old base last summer. We stopped by one of the static KC-135s so my boys could get the executive tour. A handful of senior enlisted and O-5s saw him and started chatting him up, calling him Goose.

His grandsons had this huge WTF look. LOL They have seen both TG movies and thought it was weird his "callsign" was a dead guy. Welcome, to the military, boys. LMAO
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:19:26 AM EDT
[#33]
In the Air Force, operators of weapons systems get call signs.

There is typically a naming ceremony, that includes alcoholic beverages, and a story with atleast 10% veracity about the person is produced, to legitimize the call sign.

It is then put to a vote, and others may introduce competing call signs.

Some are way out there, some are deserved. Some are really good. The true B!tches will complain to the commander later to get theirs "over turned" and get the name they like.

View Quote

Neerrrrrrrrrrds….
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BoyScoutArsonist:
Mine CS is Rockshow
View Quote

I got Lab Rat.  I'd roll with that.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HitsCount] [#35]
In the Air Force they will typically be awarded at a roll call.  The heritage of the roll call goes back at least to WW2, where it grew out of aircrews drowning their PTSD and celebrating their victories at the squadron bar and toasting those who did not return.  Even today more serious, somber roll calls are often held after a mishap or other aircraft loss. More routine roll calls are typically lively and upbeat.  Roll calls are usually fairly well structured, with the details varying by community & unit, but including events like Instant Justice, unit history/heritage, tactical lessons learned, feats of strength/competitions, etc.

New arrivals who have never previously had a call sign usually get to be "FNG" for awhile in hopes that they do something hilarious or notable.   There are also some individuals who are "naturals" based on an unfortunate given first and/or last name.  After a suitable delay -- typically at a Flag exercise, TDY, or just before leaving for deployment (sometimes on deployment), the squadron will have a special roll call for a naming ceremony.  A whole bunch of names will go on the board, the hapless FNG can remove them one at a time (typically by performing feats of strength or winning in competitions), but the game is definitely balanced in favor of the mob.  By the end the FNG will have a name.

For those arriving to the unit with a callsign, its usually presumed to be valid and accepted if the individual has used it on combat deployment.  Otherwise the individual will have to defend it.  Callsigns granted by prestigious units, at a roll call presided over by a notable mayor or commander, which have good stories (even if only 10% true), and/or which are defended with vigorous feats of strength are likely to be retained.  If none of those factors apply, individuals can be hostilely renamed.

Callsigns typically are ratified by the commander of the unit, usually informally.  Stuff beyond the pale typically gets blackballed prior to the roll call event, or the commander will axe something live if needed.  The typical standard applied is the "red flag test" -- could you introduce this person in front of a GO/FO at the final day of a red flag without being viciously mocked, disciplined, or liable to face an EO/IG complaint?

Pilots and non-fliers assigned to flying units (maintenance, intel, etc), as well as graduates of the weapons school typically go through such a routine.  Other non flying units have their own traditions which are similar, often less formal, but vary in the details.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

My Naval aviation experience is 1987-present.  This video is spot on.

Some of my faves:  Had a female CO named Butch.  Another female fighter pilot named Alf.
Lt. "Scro" Odom.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#37]
Call sign generator
View Quote

According to that my call sign is jackass, girlfriend's is sloth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 1982fxr:
I remember reading Chuck Yeager’s book and don’t recall him discussing any of his call signs.
View Quote

Because it is mostly a Vietnam and after tradition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HitsCount:
Callsigns typically are ratified by the commander of the unit, usually informally.
View Quote

F*cking hell. The Commander has no authority in the bar. That is "The Mayor's" realm.  

The Mayor ratifies callsigns...especially if the Commander hates them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

F*cking hell. The Commander has no authority in the bar. That is "The Mayor's" realm.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HitsCount:
Callsigns typically are ratified by the commander of the unit, usually informally.

Who is The Mayor?       Is it an elected position?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Don’t try to assign yourself a cool sounding callsign.  That’s gonna backfire on you.  

Like this guy who was from Hollywood so he tried to self assign “Hollywood” as his callsign.  Everyone called him “Burbank” instead.  

Then there’s the TicTac UFO pilot with the last name Fravor.  His callsign was “Sexual”…later just shortened up to “Sex”.
View Quote

Truer words never spoken.   Had a guy give himself the callsign "Batman."  The wardwroom changed it to "Catwoman."
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Nephew earned his in flight school. Told a true story that lots of laughs and boom, call sign given.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SteveG75:
I got mine day in VT-10 (basic NFO training). Stuck with me for 20+ years.

"Meat"

I flew with couple of pilots whose callsigns were "Big" and "Lick" respectively. So, the lineup was 500 - Big/Meat or 500 Lick/Meat.

Know some other classics in the day.

"Boom Boom" - If you set the parking brake while on the catapult, you will still go flying when the cat fires. However, your main mounts (wheels) will not rotate and veru quickly, your tires will go BOOM BOOM.

"Floater" - Always check the head after usage at a squadron party.

"ISIS" - (this was in the 90s). We told his wife that it stood for "I Sleep in Shower". Actually, "I Shit in Sink". There was alcohol involved.
View Quote

I remember VT-10. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#44]
My kid flies F-16's, just got hers. They're usually something stupid you did or the like. Hers is an acronym for an event she was involved in, many are.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MudEagle] [#45]
View Quote

More of an appointed position, perhaps. And this is strictly a USAF thing...and probably only a USAF fighter/trainer squadron thing, but I don't know for sure.

The Mayor is the squadron's Court Jester and official/unofficial social leader. He's the MC at Roll Call and naming ceremonies and the like. His domain is the squadron bar...sometimes the squadron's main briefing room depending on the event.

There was kind of a tradition where the Mayor was supposed to be the newest O-3 in the squadron, but that was rarely followed. Because the Mayor had to basically be a stand-up comedian as well as someone who was an unofficial leader among their peers who was well enough respected that he could lead bar shenanigans amongst some world-class rowdy people, rarely was that guy the newest O-3 in the sq.

In most of the squadrons I was in, an outgoing Mayor would hand-pick their replacement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
"Kroeger, your Delta Tau Chi name is Pinto"

"Why Pinto?"

(Belch) "WHY NOT?"

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:51:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#48]

More of an appointed position, perhaps. And this is strictly a USAF thing...and probably only a USAF fighter/trainer squadron thing, but I don't know for sure.

The Mayor is the squadron's Court Jester and official/unofficial social leader. He's the MC at Roll Call and naming ceremonies and the like. His domain is the squadron bar...sometimes the squadron's main briefing room depending on the event.

There was kind of a tradition where the Mayor was supposed to be the newest O-3 in the squadron, but that was rarely followed. Because the Mayor had to basically be a stand-up comedian as well as someone who was an unofficial leader among their peers who was well enough respected that he could lead bar shenanigans amongst some world-class rowdy people, rarely was that guy the newest O-3 in the sq.

In most of the squadrons I was in, an outgoing Mayor would hand-pick their replacement.

I was a Mayor as both an O-3 and as an O-5. Here's a shot of me leading a naming ceremony just prior to OIF kicking off in 2003....after all, we couldn't send anyone into combat without a name. No, it wasn't snowing over there, nor were we doing profuse amounts of cocaine. Just dust that got everywhere, including all over the lens of whomever's camera this was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/The_Mayor_jpg-3198246.JPG

View All Quotes

I was a Mayor as both an O-3 and as an O-5. Here's a shot of me leading a naming ceremony just prior to OIF kicking off in 2003....after all, we couldn't send anyone into combat without a name. No, it wasn't snowing over there, nor were we doing profuse amounts of cocaine. Just dust that got everywhere, including all over the lens of whomever's camera this was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/The_Mayor_jpg-3198246.JPG

Awesome. Thanks for giving us insight into how it works.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top