Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2024 9:27:23 PM EDT
How far from support (purlin) can the panel be?  I've heard numbers from 6 inches and up. I built a small fishing pier and once the sun starts going down it begins to get a little warm. I've thought about extending the r panel but I'm open to easy ideas.  Even debated on getting two foot sheets and over lapping up top but it also will make clearance a little low on the walkway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#1]
It depends on the thickness of the metal and how much wind you will get since snow load won't be a concern in TX.

If the metal is thin and it is windy (which since you are in TX it will be) then you need to be aware that it could start to vibrate if you have too much overhang.  

I am sure there are specs on that from the panel supplier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Even what overhang you have now is susceptible to wind lift.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any ideas on ways to extend it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What about a curtain that hung down 1-2'?  Could run a taut wire between your posts and slide the curtain on hooks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top