Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 12:14:19 PM EDT
Thinking about getting back into flying RC airplanes.  From what I'm reading, planes have to have a transponder now?  WTF?  Am I understanding this correctly?

Looking at the FAA site, its all about "drones".  Are RC airplanes drones now?

Just trying to understand what I'm getting myself into before I renew AMA membership and pay club fees.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:17:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: broken_reticle] [#1]
Well, for starters, the FAA is retarded.  The AMA is retarded for getting in bed with them in an effort to retain relevancy in the debate.

Every flying thing is now a "drone" and needs a responder unless in an official FRIA flying zone.  A club SHOULD have a FRIA.  Not all do.

Supply on the transponders is still somewhat limited.  The enforcement is delayed until March something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Under a certain weight doesn't need it, IIRC.  Look into umx sized planes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paul463:
Under a certain weight doesn't need it, IIRC.  Look into umx sized planes.
View Quote

From what I saw, 0.55 lbs and up need a transponder.

I miss building and flying.  Trying to decide if it's worth it at this point or if I should just sell what i have and walk away for good.  

.gov is always elbow deep in everything I do for fun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
They aren't really true transponders either.  Your model or drone will not show up on any ads-b tracker with one, that I have heard,
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I was gonna get back into it again. But with all the new rules and regs over teh last few years (the transponder crap is pretty much insane), I just bought a realflight simulator with 'transmitter' and just fly via the computer. Not quite the same as flying real r/c but crashes are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My son has been goofing around on RealFlight, 4.5 I think.

He flew my Vapor around the yard no problem.  

Went to the field last week and he flew a Bixer no problem, then flew a little Carbon Carb like he stole it.  Wish they had sims when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:42:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#7]
If you fly at an AMA sanctioned club that has been FRIA approved no transponder is needed there.  Also the UMX planes and drones under 250gr do not need to be registered or have a transponder.  You will need to join the AMA to belong to a club and also take a simple test that you literally cannot fail and pay $5 to the FAA to get your registration # and Recreational UAS Trust.  You are registered, not your planes.  That Number is for everything you fly.  It's all bullshit but it's simple and keeps you out of trouble with the law.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top