Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
I'd prefer to cut spending.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
How about if the constitution doesn't list it the government shouldn't be funding it.
I don't see social programs in the constitution.
I don't see funding proxy wars, or being the world police in the constitution.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Most people in America are substantially undertaxed compared to all of the European nations our betters aspire to imitate. The left knows they would be out on their asses if they actually tried to compel half of America to pay any appreciable amount of income tax, so they print money, which acts as a de facto tax on the poor. It’s still a stickup but it’s one they can get away with easier.
View Quote

We are undertaxed?  Why would we compare our republic to Europe and what they get taxed?  This type of mindset is a big part of the problem.

How about stop sending 87 Billion overseas three times a year?     There is no lowering the debt to any amount that would be sustainable...not going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
False chouce.

Cut soending.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
In times when we need to pick one or the other, I prefer raising taxes over printing money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

It would be different. Student loans would be a one time impact. Medicare would not be as it keeps driving the deficit up each year.

I am not for any student loan forgiveness either as I paid my way through college, sacrificing where needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By exponentialpi: They paid in so they “earned” it. They will make sure to get theirs. At everyone else’s expense.
He left out student loan forgiveness.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/EE049E8C-C133-474E-B86D-DC7B0CE362E9-2439167.gif
Oh wait, that’s different because they t never paid anything in and now want to pay anything back.  My bad.

It would be different. Student loans would be a one time impact. Medicare would not be as it keeps driving the deficit up each year.

I am not for any student loan forgiveness either as I paid my way through college, sacrificing where needed.

Student loan forgiveness helps perpetuate the absurdly high costs of college right now.  Guaranteed .gov loans for education are a prime contributor to runaway tuition costs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Brian01:
In times when we need to pick one or the other, I prefer raising taxes over printing money.
View Quote

This is America.

We can do both.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
To all of the people saying raise taxes.  Raising tax rates does not mean increased tax revenue.  Even if you do manage to actually increase tax revenue, you now have a smaller amount going towards productive purposes.  So, your problem is actually worse, not better.
The solution is to slash spending.  But, few want to hear that.
View Quote

We need reagonomics in action.

Bring back Ronald

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to post this.

The funny thing is, the progressives don’t recognize it as progressive enough (i.e. rich getting taxed on their luxury car, boat, etc. purchases).

Last study I saw determined that a relatively low national sales tax, like 4%, would capture enough $ to start balancing the budget.
View Quote

It only works with massive spending cuts.

That’s the problem.

Nobody wants to cut spending. In order for it to work you would need large spending cuts
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Bring back Ronald

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
To all of the people saying raise taxes.  Raising tax rates does not mean increased tax revenue.  Even if you do manage to actually increase tax revenue, you now have a smaller amount going towards productive purposes.  So, your problem is actually worse, not better.
The solution is to slash spending.  But, few want to hear that.

Bring back Ronald

Reagan also tripled the national debt. Not sure we could absorb more debt load now with the debt already parabolic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#14]

That’s the problem.

Nobody wants to cut spending. In order for it to work you would need large spending cuts
View All Quotes
I was going to post this.

The funny thing is, the progressives don’t recognize it as progressive enough (i.e. rich getting taxed on their luxury car, boat, etc. purchases).

Last study I saw determined that a relatively low national sales tax, like 4%, would capture enough $ to start balancing the budget.

That’s the problem.

That's the rub.  Our money addicted government, any added money equals added spending...

It's like crack for congress...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: perfectsilence] [#15]
Originally Posted By Levi24:

We are undertaxed?  Why would we compare our republic to Europe and what they get taxed?  This type of mindset is a big part of the problem.

How about stop sending 87 Billion overseas three times a year?     There is no lowering the debt to any amount that would be sustainable...not going to happen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Levi24:
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
Most people in America are substantially undertaxed compared to all of the European nations our betters aspire to imitate. The left knows they would be out on their asses if they actually tried to compel half of America to pay any appreciable amount of income tax, so they print money, which acts as a de facto tax on the poor. It’s still a stickup but it’s one they can get away with easier.

I draw the comparison because the people who run this country want to be more like Europe.

I agree that it’s a big part of the problem, particularly when we spend like a European nation without taxing like a European nation.

Ultimately though most developed nations are sitting on some sort of financial catastrophe, and are all too intertwined with each other to allow one nation to collapse economically. It would probably bring everyone else down with them into a global financial crisis, and consequently there’s a certain amount of security in that. Or not. Nobody making decisions now, being Paleolithic, will live to find out if that’s true. How convenient.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top