Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 10:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey]
Still actively working to refine the design, egonomics, material choice, and construction techniques for laminate frame.  All of them shoot well and as of version 2 are comfortable to shoot - although ver 3 is a big upgrade over 2.  

Also the whole cracking at the rear pin is just not a thing with this print orientation which was one of the key design objectives.

100 rounds thru version 1

Attachment Attached File

100 rds thru version 2

Attachment Attached File

And now 100 rds thru ver 3

Attachment Attached File

Moved from pa6cf + pla to abs + pla to all cf abs

Cracking behaviour is now all focused in one spot on the locking lug shouder.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Although this seems to be based on compressive force from using a bolt here instead of a 3mm pin, and having that bolt maybe too tight.

Ver 4 will add more meat there and use superglue rather than tension to hold the bolt tight

Both ver3 and 2 still fire perfectly despite the crack as the force is carried by the pin and bolts not the shoulder.  

Redo's on the ergonomics are easy by simply reprinting the outside panels and not the whole gun.   Also adding a left thumb rest really makes follow up shots incredibly better.

Overall, with this design Abs is really shining, with its excellent impact resistance and temperature resilience.  Im using atomic CF Abs for its low lustre.  Ironing doesnt give a perfect look but it isnt terrible.  I tried concentric ironing in v3 and wont do that again despite imperfections in zig zag. I vapor smoothed version 2 and it was gloss and really nice but too shiny for general non gucci use.  Ver 3 i did a mild vapor smooth and that just added shine for not much smoothing value.

Here is version 2 is in the smoothing chamber and result.  The texture is actually a bit more like rubber and is prettty grippable but the warping and distortiion make this amount of smoothing a poor choice even though as a one-off this does look at shoot good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Ver 4 grip panels - finally getting the settings for this cf abs dialed in

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
After you print and assemble the pieces you should try adding a layer of superglue to the exposed surfaces and let it dry overnight before you shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang, that's cool!

Are you going to set it out to sail the sea?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool effort.  My first thought was "Leggo Glock".
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scul:
Dang, that's cool!

Are you going to set it out to sail the sea?
View Quote

Once i get it fully sorted out yes.

I want to find out what fails and why first.  Have to get a good process to get the bolts not coming loose but also not over sandwiching the material either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: homeyclaus] [#5]
Are you sure that locking block is in full contact with the material behind it? If the bolt/pin is taking all that force, anything will crack I think, so filling in behind the block so the force is spread out might make the whole diff in durability.

ETA I love flat-print designs that need minimal/no supports.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top