Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2024 6:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skink]
Range suicide or accident?

I think he did it intentionally
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess if he was trying to look down the barrel with his mouth it could have been an accident.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Suicide.  100%
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like suicide to me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USA1st] [#4]
Suicide.

Two shots to make sure how it works then straight to the chin. Probably a rental.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming he rented the gun there - or else why would he kill himself there?   I'm surprised any ranges still rent guns to solo people that come in without other guns.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Right before he did it, he looked at the other lane to see if they were paying attention then very quickly offed himself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Not gonna watch because I saw it in real life when I worked at an indoor range.

It happens more than you think.  Person rents a gun goes in and offs themself.

We actually implemented a rule because of it: if you did not bring at least one firearm of your own or were a party of two or more folks, we would not rent to you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF???? If suicide, why was he just shooting normally, then just decided to eat a bullet?  Weird as hell. Not sure what to make of that
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PrincipsPistol:
WTF???? If suicide, why was he just shooting normally, then just decided to eat a bullet?  Weird as hell. Not sure what to make of that
View Quote

Because the ones that have committed in their heads already are at "peace" with themselves and act quite normal.

The last one at the range I worked at, guy got a few bags(range reloads) of 357 and waited till everyone left and did it on the last round.  He was totally social and normal with my co-worker behind the counter and the other folks shooting before they left.  Actually kinda messed with my co-worker a bit about how normal he acted up to his departure.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HLB0302:
I guess if he was trying to look down the barrel with his mouth it could have been an accident.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm leaning towards suicide.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Suicide.

Not entirely that uncommon for someone to fire a test round before shooting themself either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

We actually implemented a rule because of it: if you did not bring at least one firearm of your own or were a party of two or more folks, we would not rent to you.
View Quote

Wow, didn't know that was a thing... That's fucked.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Looked like a suicide to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Basically every range with rentals that I've ever been to has had that rule.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
100% intentional.  He was looking around each shot, and possibly even at the camera.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
He ate the muzzle so clearly suicide.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

There was another video of a mother that brought her son to the range and proceeded to blow his brains out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By astro_wanabe:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah.. that is SOP now.  My experience was 25 years ago, that rule was spreading amongst the ranges in my area at that time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#19]
Did not know how to handle a gun. Made a fatal mistake.

Initially watching it I thought they looked down the barrel However after rewatching It. They may have put it in their mouth?

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Intentional. He was slow firing and looking around then had a long pause to think about what he was about to do. He put that thing in his mouth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

When I visited Orlando unarmed and swung by a range to shoot a few advertised suppressed rifles I haven’t had the luxury of shooting before- the RSO had to stand next to me the entire time.

I flagged my skull mortaring an above the bolt induced malfunction in a carbine class last weekend and was like holy shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a video some time back about some gal trying to shoot herself at a range.  The RSO? was directly behind her while she shot.  She twisted the gun 180 and tried to shoot herself in the chest.  The RSO had "hands on" her but she got off the shot.  I don't remember how the shot went, but the RSO was hit in the leg.  Our range does not rent guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#23]
Local indoor range a guy did the same but under the chin / bullet went thru roof.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Suicide 100%
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Suicide

Unless he likes the taste of burning gunpowder too much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#26]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
I'm assuming he rented the gun there - or else why would he kill himself there?   I'm surprised any ranges still rent guns to solo people that come in without other guns.

View Quote
I was at my local gun range recently to take care of some NFA stuff and decided to rent a gun. Boy did they act weird about it. They were very clear about their suicide prevention policy. By myself & no guns. Had a range officer stand with me while I shot a FA Banshee in 5.7.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Definitely suicide. Geez. Most places I've been to won't rent you a gun unless you have guns with you already, to avoid this exact situation. Sucks for the people that had to witness that
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Definitely ate a bullet on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Suicide 100% a lot of ranges won't rent to you if your by yourself .
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Yup. That rule has become very common specifically for this reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Life insurance doesn't usually pay out for suicide, or at least for a set period of time after purchasing policy.   He could have tried to make it an "accident" at what he loved to do.  
 Family still benefits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]
My local range doesnt care about solo renters.
They already had at least one suicide.
Dont know if it was a rental.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#33]
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:

There was another video of a mother that brought her son to the range and proceeded to blow his brains out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:

Yeah, that was maybe a decade ago. Apopka Flrodia IIRC. She killed him and then herself.

ETA: it was Casselberry. 2009

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#34]
literally sticks the barrel inside his mouth, not sure how much less suicide you could get
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a discussion about this the other day. Our society cares more our pets than we do people who are sick.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#36]
He looked upset with his groups at first.

It's very frustrating sometimes especially when you thought you were dialed in but not worth killing yourself over
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking around with each shot might be an indicator.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#38]
That dude committed suicide for sure.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#39]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Had a discussion about this the other day. Our society cares more our pets than we do people who are sick.
View Quote

There's too many of them to run a strong empathy, full-time, for the ones who got fucked over big time by the new family dynamic. The end of traditional liberal values have brought us to this fucked up place. Finding love and solace in who you have, even if its just a pet, works...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Option 1) Suicide on a gun rental

Option 2) Gun jammed and he tried to suck-start it
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Supposedly the rental guns at ranges in Guam are short chained to the table because of the amount of Japanese that killed themselves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Clean up in lane 3. We got another one…
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going with suicide too. He looks like he put the gun in or up to his mouth. Looks too close to gun to be looking down the barrel. I also saw it looks like he looked at everyone else quickly then did it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

View Quote

There was a range in Royal Oak Michigan along Woodward ave, it had the highest suicide rate in the nation at a gun range..They would just shut down, call the cops, hose off the floor and open back up. They eventually changed their policy

https://www.dailytribune.com/2013/02/08/royal-oak-gun-range-changes-policy-to-stop-walk-in-suicides/
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#45]
RO did a good job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Suicide.

Not entirely that uncommon for someone to fire a test round before shooting themself either.
View Quote

Yeah they didn’t look like they were familiar with guns based on how they were holding it.  Probably getting a feel for it and think about how to position it to shoot themselves.  

Idk why anyone would want to do it at an indoor range. I guess it’s like people rob banks because that’s where the money is.  They should put it on a credit card to buy it and do a little plinking in the fresh air before they off themselves.  Although maybe they can’t buy it.  Do ranges do background checks to rent?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Try and make it look like an accident. Maybe it’s a life insurance thing, maybe it’s pride.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m going with fudd accidentally offed himself. I almost fell asleep between shots, is the rule 1 shot per minute? My arms would have been tired stretched out like that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
RO did a good job.
View Quote

Yes. Clearing weapons and getting people away from the crime scene.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Try and make it look like an accident. Maybe it’s a life insurance thing, maybe it’s pride.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I'd assume suicide in a public setting can make one extra nervous. Probably trying to act normal.

He looked like the average shitty shooter at a range. I've shaken my head plenty of time after the first few shots. I think he was going through the motions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top