Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 8:35:22 PM EDT
I have an idea about painting some accents on my 14 jeep. Zero intention of resell, NOT trying to cover the entire vehicle. Plan is some diagonal stripes and stencil graphics. I have a sort of theme to it. The idea is troops on the front lines making personalized decorations of their vehicle. I would plan to either use rattle can or whatever paint I can get inexpensively. Idea is not to have to rough up all of the paint in the places I plan to decorate. Can I get good results with a self etching primer, the paint, and then a clear coat?

I would approach this the way I have my rifles, clean and degrease, tape the ever loving shit out of what I don’t want painted and take my time.
Base is metallic silver. Would probably use matte red and black for the accent colors.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the rattle can paint that you can peal off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup... if you're not sure, go with plasti-dip. If you change your mind, it's an easy fix.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]
07 Sahara 4 door 26000 miles runs well body is a little rough,modest lift and flat fenders.
I'm about to go all in and paint mine with military CARC cammo paint.
I'm going to go with the standard military pattern in green brown and black.
Degrease scuff and mask.
I'll paint it with a brush and touch it up as needed when it chips off like we did in the military
I also have a 86 m110 Chevy blazer,I figure similar body shape,I'll use the same paint pattern.

If you are unsure about any of it,it's probably good advice to use the Plastidip it's pretty easy to work with and is removable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it with vinyl wrap
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Plasti Dip.

Can be peeled off later.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Plasti Dip.

Can be peeled off later.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Do it with vinyl wrap
View Quote

Yep, hit up Etsy for premade designs or hire someone to make one.  Should be about $200 tops.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Acetone or goo gone will melt rattle can right off of a proper factory clear coat. I learned that after my truck was stolen when I was 16. 20 years of California sun later and the clear is still holding up except in one little spot where it was damaged by a rock chip.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DragonGuard:
07 Sahara 4 door 26000 miles runs well body is a little rough,modest lift and flat fenders.
I'm about to go all in and paint mine with military CARC cammo paint.
I'm going to go with the standard military pattern in green brown and black.
Degrease scuff and mask.
I'll paint it with a brush and touch it up as needed when it chips off like we did in the military
I also have a 86 m110 Chevy blazer,I figure similar body shape,I'll use the same paint pattern.

If you are unsure about any of it,it's probably good advice to use the Plastidip it's pretty easy to work with and is removable.
View Quote

Do you have all the proper PPE (respirator, not mask, all skin covered)? That shit will fuck you UP. Any paint store can mix the FS595C colors and make them as flat as you want.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Do it with vinyl wrap
View Quote

+1

It's not hard to find a decent stencil font for numbers etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top