Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2023 2:48:37 PM EDT
I recently got a Hawk V3 A, which is their artist club design, with the aggressive base plate.
Let me say right here that if this is the aggressive plate, the standard is probably for people who want a REALLY mild shave, or want a regular feel but with Feather Pro Supers or equivalent. It does not feel mild, but other than the first use where I wasn't adapted to the heavier razor I haven't had any issues and even that was just a little irritation from too much pressure. My usual razor is a 40's style Super Speed and I tend to like pretty sharp but smooth blades. My default is the Personna Lab Blues but I also like Wilkinson Swords (german, not Gillette), Treet Platinums and similar.

The Hawk looks and feels quality without being a real luxury kind of thing. It doesn't have that little extra that makes something feel like it's probably way more expensive than the task requires. In fact, what it reminds me of is very good reloading tools where all the machining fits just right and everything is finished nicely but it's function over form for the most part. That's not to say it's ugly, I like the look, just that you aren't going to mistake it for a $200 and up product. That's certainly fair since it's coming in around $70 delivered.

I'm using a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade and so far so good. No noticeable difference over four shaves. There's enough positive blade exposure to let you play with the blade angle a fair bit and I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. Some areas of my face it's easy to get perfect, others are way more problematic than with the narrower DE. I've definitely noticed that it's more comfortable ATG in the areas where I normally get some blade chatter or tugging on my neck. I'm not sure if it's the beefier blade or the heavier razor, or both, but it's smoother across my neck. I haven't tried any other blades yet, so I can't report on how they differ for me. Feather Pros are next but I am very curious to see how many shaves I get before I notice the blade losing it's peak performance. I'm normally a two or three and done guy with DE blades. That's why I love the Lab Blues so much, that first shave is super smooth but still sharp. The next few are still very good, but they have lost that silky smooth feel. I'm not getting that level of smoothness, but the Kai's in the Hawk feel smoother than most even with the aggressive plate. The blade feel is more gentle than you'd expect, but still feels plenty sharp.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the efficiency on the Hawk since I am still playing with the angle and shave pattern. A three pass shave gets me to a high 7 or low 8 easily. Some cleanup makes it a solid 8, bordering on 8.5. That's a step down from my Super Speed where I can consistently get an 8.5 with a quick shave and a solid 9 with just a little effort. A full 10, even with a fresh Lab Blue, usually requires enough cleanup that I'm trading off some comfort, which I prefer to not do, but the actual result isn't hard to get. It just takes more buffing on my trouble spots than they really want. I was hoping for a closer first pass, honestly, but I may have to try one XTG and see where that puts me.

If you're used to disposables or primarily vintage/vintage style DE's the heft of the razor will take some adjusting, it's not insignificant. The AC thing I'm still figuring out, the blade is wider, which makes it harder to get into any concave areas of your face. I don't normally do any skin stretching but I may have to in order to get a BBS shave with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top