Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have some stuff but what wasn’t sold at the local gunshow for cash was lost to the lady of the lake . She traded me a cool sword that glows a strange gold color when I hold it .
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:24:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Okay
Alternative ideas? @apec
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Apec:

US made Galil receivers mostly suck anyways, they tend to be out of spec and maybe only good for use as a host for a reweld to a surplus front/rear stub.

Okay
Alternative ideas? @apec

Find a surplus parts kit with reweldable stubs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait till it passes then go out of state and buy what you want. Flaunt it in their fucking faces and tell them go fuck off.

Unzip your pants and do the helicopter dance.

That’s my plan anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:

The tortort receivers are gtg. I just this fall finished a galil SAR build on one and everything fits and functions like it should. The only thing you have to do is fit the bullet guide correctly and headspace the bolt. The bolt fitting is the only difficult part of the build. I ran the bolt by hand for an hour or so using valve lapping compound on the bolt lugs and a tad on the rails and it was finished.
That thing runs slicker than owl shit now.
If you have a press and can make rivet setting tools for the mag catch and bullet guide you can do a galil fairly easily. Parts condition can sometimes be problematic but if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to sort it out. Here is my Galil I built:
https://i.postimg.cc/NG4D7sRr/20231015-104758.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
Originally Posted By Apec:

US made Galil receivers mostly suck anyways, they tend to be out of spec and maybe only good for use as a host for a reweld to a surplus front/rear stub.

The tortort receivers are gtg. I just this fall finished a galil SAR build on one and everything fits and functions like it should. The only thing you have to do is fit the bullet guide correctly and headspace the bolt. The bolt fitting is the only difficult part of the build. I ran the bolt by hand for an hour or so using valve lapping compound on the bolt lugs and a tad on the rails and it was finished.
That thing runs slicker than owl shit now.
If you have a press and can make rivet setting tools for the mag catch and bullet guide you can do a galil fairly easily. Parts condition can sometimes be problematic but if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to sort it out. Here is my Galil I built:
https://i.postimg.cc/NG4D7sRr/20231015-104758.jpg

I personally had an out of spec Tortort and know builders who have to reject some of their receivers in customer builds. YMMV, but US made products are highly hit or miss when it comes to AKs and foreign rifle patterns. Companies that could put out a consistent quality product like 74ullc are the exception not the norm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Cetme/g3 flats are easy to bend, kits are fairly cheap, and the jigs are able to be printed at home. Add a welder, hydraulic press, and a drill press and you can knock some rifles out fairly easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Concur.  Haven’t read CO’s law, but the original AWB had a “nor create a weapon that would otherwise be prohibited” clause (like 922(r)) which prevented one from legally building a banned weapon after the ban.

IOW stocking up in lowers does not necessarily guarantee you will be able to legally finish them into complete weapons unless you already had the other parts to do so or could obtain them in a completely untraceable manner.

I think the lawmakers are smart enough to include similar wording in any new AWB.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By kzin:
That's a new generation awb with a parts clause.

You probably won't be getting new uppers and maybe not even stocks and grips after it goes in.

I guess parts would be easier than serialized lowers to get on road trips to free states(if any)
Concur.  Haven’t read CO’s law, but the original AWB had a “nor create a weapon that would otherwise be prohibited” clause (like 922(r)) which prevented one from legally building a banned weapon after the ban.

IOW stocking up in lowers does not necessarily guarantee you will be able to legally finish them into complete weapons unless you already had the other parts to do so or could obtain them in a completely untraceable manner.

I think the lawmakers are smart enough to include similar wording in any new AWB.

And this is why I am buying mostly complete guns and any lowers I have are going to be in an assembled state prior to the ban going into effect. I will photograph that state for posterity.

Waaaaaay too deep into this now.

2xLMT 556 pistons
1xLMT MWS 308 piston
POF Revolution
Tavor 7
APC308
Galil ACE 762
SFAR (probably selling to a friend)

I don't think they're gonna stop at just semi-autos so am also buying Cans. So far into two Huxwrx Flow 762 TI, two OSS HX-QD 762 TI, a OSS HX-QD 5.56K, two SiCo 22LR switchbacks and a SiCo 46M Hybrid.

Fuck these people, I put my home improvement projects and jeep upgrades on hold for the next two years. Assholes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Build full ARs imo
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Bambu X1C
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Wait till it passes then go out of state and buy what you want. Flaunt it in their fucking faces and tell them go fuck off.

That’s my plan anyway.
View Quote

Good luck. FFLs in neighboring states wont sell non-compliant guns to folks in Colorado. Try and buy a gun now. They will still make you wait the 3 days. I bet they will just cut off all sales entirely to out of state folks. Now if you are talking about FTF then
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m assuming we’re getting an AWB here in CO.
Presume I have enough AR lowers or could figure out 80%s so let’s leave those out

I’m slightly confused on FFL vs Non-FFL AK receivers. Right when PSA kills it with Krink stuff too. I’d love one. Chinese type appeal to me

I just bought an Uzi receiver, that’s a PCC I’ve not yet snagged over the years

I want a (original style) Galil receiver but Atlantic wants $499

FAL?
Any roller lock stuff I can snag for later?
Tell me how to maximize my options
View Quote

Reach out to Dave at d.wilson Manufacturing and get a couple LMT MWS lowers and a couple MARS-L lowers. He’s up outside Denver.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Agreed
But I have zero concern about parts
View Quote

I’ve broken two AR bolts-and one was on an HK433.

All guns break parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By weaponoutfitters:
Atlantic Firearms seems to have cost efficient roller lack stuff.

My advice is that you just get the guns you can afford, even if they are budget and suck.  Get em in before the deadline, and you can improve/pimp out the gun at your leisure later typically.

With MP-5s, the Turkshit clones seem to be 90% as good as the premium guns that cost 2-3X as much, and need just a little work to keep running.  Tinkering is half the fun with guns that aren't "duty" guns like the Glock and AR.  

But yeah, after a dozen Glocks and a dozen ARs you may want to have weird stuff in your safe too.

Dangerous attitude, since the laws will always be used to persecute the enemies of the ruling regime.  The ruling regime will throw the book at you if you are a middle class or higher gun owner that pays his taxes.  Whereas in Seattle, a teenager who literally shot a dude in the face in a carjacking (dude survived) was released to his parents custody LMAO
View Quote

I guess I must be getting old. I’m done living by Fiat and just want to live out my remaining decades in peace and quiet, living as I want to, and doing as I please. I don’t care what laws they pass anymore, you can’t rule over honest men.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Presume I have enough AR lowers or could figure out 80%s so let’s leave those out

I’m slightly confused on FFL vs Non-FFL AK receivers. Right when PSA kills it with Krink stuff too. I’d love one. Chinese type appeal to me

FAL?
View Quote

If you have to ask the internet what to buy, then don’t buy anything. Get more ammo or parts for the unusual crap you already have.

Or donate the money to a cause that’s gonna fight the CO AWB.

Your choice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:
If you have to ask the internet what to buy, then don’t buy anything.
View Quote

Nope. Have you never been inspired by a posting online? Never seen something new to you and immediately thought “I NEED one of those!”?

IMNSHO that’s the point of these kind of threads “Inspire me” and “Help me see what I’m overlooking”.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:23:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aerospace_Money] [#16]
Get a .50 bmg. I'd grab an ar50. Also recommend a sig mcx spear lt 9.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]
apex has fal for $160-$180ish.  

would do that, maybe a mg or something though all those need shit ton of welding.

maybe stribog, or cetme, if pistols all on the list. some of those as well.

good luck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
If the CO ban is anything like the WA ban then you better stock up on AR uppers (stripped or assembled) too... Can't get those here in WA along with a bunch of other parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#19]
WA state outlawed semi automatic  rifles, I should have got a couple of more upper receivers.  We can't even get parts and some retailers won't even ship ammo to our God forsaken state.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Unless you got mad skillz & angry toolz I'd take everyones advice about avoiding parts kits per say.

There really are not any good cheap ones out there anymore.

Sten MK3 300 and up
Sterling 700 and up.
Bren lmg 1200 and up
1919 2500 and up

You can get cheap pps43 and 43/52 kits again if you know how to do the semi conversion
Same with a, UZI kit is expensive now 400 + and unless you can convert the bolt yourself it's gonna be anothe 300 with out a barrel striker mags and repair section.

Get parts for what you have and buy complete what you want.
Maybe buy a 3d printer lathe and mill and learn a bit.
Most rewelds or receiver bend builds are hampered by lack of tooling/knowledge/competence.

best of luck to you.

PA has it's own ban on homebuilds passed the house hoping it dies in the senate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#21]
80s and milling equipment.

Become the weapons factory.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:41:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#22]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
Unless you got mad skillz & angry toolz I'd take everyones advice about avoiding parts kits per say.

There really are not any good cheap ones out there anymore.

Sten MK3 300 and up
Sterling 700 and up.
Bren lmg 1200 and up
1919 2500 and up

You can get cheap pps43 and 43/52 kits again if you know how to do the semi conversion
Same with a, UZI kit is expensive now 400 + and unless you can convert the bolt yourself it's gonna be anothe 300 with out a barrel striker mags and repair section.

Get parts for what you have and buy complete what you want.
Maybe buy a 3d printer lathe and mill and learn a bit.
Most rewelds or receiver bend builds are hampered by lack of tooling/knowledge/competence.

best of luck to you.

PA has it's own ban on homebuilds passed the house hoping it dies in the senate.
View Quote

You send it to a professional to get a reweld or a built/bent flat.  

Building an AK or HK pattern gun already requires a degree of skill and equipment investment your average homebuilder (and surprisingly, quite a few "professionals") does not have, even if they had a good in-spec 100% receiver to work with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Apec you take home out of homebuilt doing it that way.

There is a saying on a certain forum.

If I can do it you can do it.

Some amazing homebuilt parts kits out there.

Kit prices now suck and tooling has never been cheap.
Affordable yes cheap no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#24]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

You have been here since 2008, why don't you already have 2 each of every gun you mentioned?  I thought that's how this place worked...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

FAL?

You have been here since 2008, why don't you already have 2 each of every gun you mentioned?  I thought that's how this place worked...

Well I do have two AKs, only one roller lock, pile of ARs, two AR762, AUG, etc
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Move to a free state
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

FAL?

Move to a free state

We’re running out of states. Then enough turn blue and we get s federal ban.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:04:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BullpupFan] [#26]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:

We’re running out of states. Then enough turn blue and we get s federal ban.
View Quote

This.

For now, parts which aren’t “firearms” may be sourced with the help of “the resistance” outside one’s own state but as the dominos fall that becomes less and less practical.

I believe Kolorado  will end up with a ban on threaded barrels as well so worth stocking up on those.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Depends on the wording but if they word it anything like Washinton did, doesn't matter. Buy whatever you will need for the rest of your time in Colorado.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Depends on the wording but if they word it anything like Washinton did, doesn't matter. Buy whatever you will need for the rest of your time in Colorado.
View Quote

I'm planning to be here at least 16 more years and by then I expect there will be a federal ban, so its really, buy what I need for the rest of my life unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:

But I would also invest in some really nice ones, like a Radian ADAC-15.
View Quote

Well, thats expensive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

Well, thats expensive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
Originally Posted By JAG2955:

But I would also invest in some really nice ones, like a Radian ADAC-15.

Well, thats expensive.

You can get MARS-L lowers from Rooftop for under $300 delivered. I really like the one I got. Ditto for MARS-H for under $400 using code "pewpew".
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#31]

It’s easier to get a buddy to send you a Sopmod stock when it’s legal in his state vs sending you an actual serialized gun
View All Quotes

It’s easier to get a buddy to send you a Sopmod stock when it’s legal in his state vs sending you an actual serialized gun

Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
WA state outlawed semi automatic  rifles, I should have got a couple of more upper receivers.  We can't even get parts and some retailers won't even ship ammo to our God forsaken state.

Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
If the CO ban is anything like the WA ban then you better stock up on AR uppers (stripped or assembled) too... Can't get those here in WA along with a bunch of other parts.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:

Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Those BCM thermal fit blem uppers are still available at $50 each. I've been trying to get everyone I know to get a couple and some $30 Anderson lowers for a rainy-day build. Wonder when the general public is gonna wake up and strip all the shelves bare honestly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Battleicious:

Good luck. FFLs in neighboring states wont sell non-compliant guns to folks in Colorado. Try and buy a gun now. They will still make you wait the 3 days. I bet they will just cut off all sales entirely to out of state folks. Now if you are talking about FTF then
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Battleicious:

That’s my plan anyway.

My son and his mom (whom I have a great relationship with) may or may not live in Wyoming.

Along with plenty of aunts, uncles, and lots of cousins. My people are strategically placed around the mountain west.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#34]

My son and his mom (whom I have a great relationship with) may or may not live in Wyoming.

Along with plenty of aunts, uncles, and lots of cousins. My people are strategically placed around the mountain west.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Spend your budget on machine tools.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
Spend your budget on machine tools.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1087/CK_Millrite-573779.jpg
View Quote

Not a bad idea
I need the knowledge too!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Don’t forget ammo and mags.  Basic AR platform offers lots of flexibility. Ease of parts is a good thing.  Not too late to stack deep.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Flats aren’t receivers, right? No sense in prioritizing a hk33 and mp5K flat? Put the $400 elsewhere?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
Don’t forget ammo and mags.  Basic AR platform offers lots of flexibility. Ease of parts is a good thing.  Not too late to stack deep.
View Quote

Mags already bannned. Ammo wont be banned. Prioritized FFL required > Parts > Ammo > Optics
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#40]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
Apec you take home out of homebuilt doing it that way.

There is a saying on a certain forum.

If I can do it you can do it.

Some amazing homebuilt parts kits out there.

Kit prices now suck and tooling has never been cheap.
Affordable yes cheap no.
View Quote

There's no shame in getting a professional to do it, instead of potentially winding up with a bunch of mangled parts or a grenade shaped like a rifle. For rare kits or difficult builds this makes sense, or simply if you want a high quality build, especially getting things like a blued finish or cloning original proof marks/crests/markings. In fact in some collectors communities, it is more difficult selling a conversion or build that wasn't performed by a reputable gunsmith (i.e HK/MP5 communities).

For anyone who has the skill and equipment, sure they can stick to home building. But for each one of those guys, there are 10 who can't be trusted with anything more complex than a punch and mallet, let alone a mill, welder or press.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I need more AK advice on FFL vs non FFL receivers…
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:
I'd invest in equipment to manufacture what you want from scratch. Not from an 80% lower, either.
View Quote

Best option right there.

Maybe do a neighborhood buy
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:40:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: migradog] [#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By migradog:

I left CA in 2003.
Feel free to post the gains made by pro gunners since then.
Or WA, Or, MA and now CO.

OP: PSA has AR Lowers for $29.99: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html
View Quote

Two more ain’t a bad idea while I keep window shopping
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I need more AK advice on FFL vs non FFL receivers…
View Quote

Personally I’d lean toward FFL.  At the very least I’d want a factory-looking receiver in case it got LE attention.  I imagine most officers are unfamiliar with laws regarding home-built guns, much less stuff like 922(R).
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve got a complete M5 and a SFAR, a 3rd lower may not be a bad decision
View Quote

rookie numbers, you need to pump that up, maybe at least a half-dozen AR-308 lowers.  think "life-time supply", like stocking up at Costco.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#47]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

rookie numbers, you need to pump that up, maybe at least a half-dozen AR-308 lowers.  think "life-time supply", like stocking up at Costco.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By x248716x:
I’ve got a complete M5 and a SFAR, a 3rd lower may not be a bad decision

If you shop around and don't mind haggling, you can get M5 lowers pretty cheap. I picked up two off Tacswap for $140 each delivered from an FFL out of Alaska and one from a private seller here on the EE for $135 delivered to the FFL.

Then I get the privilege of paying another $20-40 in transfer costs per receiver. While I can still buy them of course
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:

Personally I’d lean toward FFL.  At the very least I’d want a factory-looking receiver in case it got LE attention.  I imagine most officers are unfamiliar with laws regarding home-built guns, much less stuff like 922(R).
View Quote

Not a bad idea
Are you an AK guy? Any suggestions? Receivers that may be easier to buy parts/kits for in the future?
@scott_s
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#49]
This is how we end up with odd stuff.

I have 5 AK mags.  Nib.  

I don't own an ak.  But they were banning magazines, so  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]
If you haven't owned a FAL for the past 10 years, you probably can't afford one now.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top