Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2024 9:10:56 AM EDT
Looking to replace the forest of fold-up guitar stands with something a bit more compact and wall hangers aren't really an option in the space I'm looking to use this in. Ideally something that can hold 5 electric guitars. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]

You could roll your own.  I built mine to hold the cases as well so in your situation better support for the neck would be ideal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I searched etsy, and found one I could copy. Mine holds 6 acoustics.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnhornet:
I searched etsy, and found one I could copy. Mine holds 6 acoustics.
View Quote

You guys have me leaning in that direction. There are some nice looking ones that go for over $300 that I could make myself for much less. I have access to a large laser cutter, router table, and a variety of other shop equipment so that's probably the route I'll end up going.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jayjohnny:
https://i.imgur.com/o1LM1Nz.png

You could roll your own.  I built mine to hold the cases as well so in your situation better support for the neck would be ideal.
View Quote

Cool! It hadn't occured to me I could just build one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of these. Typical Chinese but very serviceable.  Beware, the directions to assembly are pictures only and do not account for all the parts. It took me a bit to figure it out but once I did it was a breeze.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
We have Rok-it 5 rack works for us.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
wall hangers aren't really an option in the space I'm looking to use this in.
View Quote
Why?  Simply curious.  I love looking at my guitars, even though I've stopped short of hanging them all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tras:
Why?  Simply curious.  I love looking at my guitars, even though I've stopped short of hanging them all.
View Quote

The rack will be going in the middle of a large room behind another piece of furniture. No accessible wall space that isn't already occupied by something in the entire room.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your budget?  I was going to build myself one of those multi guitar atx road cases but I've decided to build display cases instead.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#10]
Road case

I think I got the atx wrong.  I remember three letters being associate d with that style of road case.  Any way I was going to build something like that with doors to keep the dust out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:26:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#11]
I drafted up a design I mostly pilfered from google images and bought all the plywood, lumber and hardware I need. Just waiting for some free time on my sister's laser cutter and I'll get this thing going. The sides will be 3/4" sanded maple plywood, the top horizontals pieces will be maple lumber and the bottom will be whatever cheap hardwood I have sitting in the shop since it's going to be covered in felt anyways. Rest of it will be stained.

Quick peak of the CAD drawing:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I drafted up a design I mostly pilfered from google images and bought all the plywood, lumber and hardware I need. Just waiting for some free time on my sister's laser cutter and I'll get this thing going. The sides will be 3/4" sanded maple plywood, the top horizontals pieces will be maple lumber and the bottom will be whatever cheap hardwood I have sitting in the shop since it's going to be covered in felt anyways. Rest of it will be stained.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/GuitarRack_JPG-3157246.JPG
View Quote
I really like that even over the store-bought option below yours.  You can stain/paint and make it purdy.  Sorta inspired now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh and laser cutter for wood projects?  Educate me a bit?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#15]
Originally Posted By Tras:
Oh and laser cutter for wood projects?  Educate me a bit?
View Quote

My sister runs an Etsy store full of stuff she makes with laser cutters. She started with a Glowforge but now her main laser is an Aeon Super Nova 16 It's a pretty powerful machine and will make fairly short work of the 3/4" maple plywood sheet that I'll be cutting the side pieces out of. I haven't decided if I want to cut the comb part out with it yet or just do it with a drill press and miter saw. Maybe I'll post pictures of my progress along the way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm now sure it sucks not having a sibling with an $18k laser cutter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I could still cut the parts out with a router or jigsaw but the laser is a lot less work. I may have been more inclined to keep the design simpler without access to the laser though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
sendcutsend.com is who I use for most of my waterjet and laser and I've got a shop full of serious CNCs.  Upload your drawing, specify material, and order.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/GuitarRack_JPG-3157246.JPG
View Quote

That is pretty much what I configured from etsy, looks good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#20]
So the test cuts on my plywood showed that there is a much softer layer of wood in the middle that chars pretty bad making the laser cutting problematic. Rather than spending hours and hours trying to figure out number of passes and power levels of each pass to get ideal results, we opted instead to laser cut the pieces out of 3/16 Masonite board to use as router templates. This weekend I'll rout out all the parts and drill all the holes and hopefully get to where I can test assemble the rack and then it'll be time for staining and sealing. Pics once I get around to posting them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
It's coming along. This was just a test fit of the parts I have made up so far. Probably won't have time to work on it again until next weekend but hopefully I can get it fully built then and ready for stain.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking nice.

I need a tilt-back stand for my amplifier that I was going to draw up in CAD and have cut by sendcutsend but wood would be a much better choice.  I am surprised that the only options I could find were crazy expensive and made of shitty composite with a wood veneer.

I want to find some nice flamed maple.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]

That's what I have. Works great. Holds several electrics and an acoustic with no issues. I think it's a little less expensive from Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top