Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2024 10:11:35 AM EDT
We have a bunch of Rc, cars, buggies, crawlers, a heli, he's done the low cost drones, etc. During covid, a neighbor gave us an old airplane kit, that he bought for his kids but never used. It was maybe a 1m size but wound up in a tree.

Anyway, little guy just turned 10 and wants to use his b-day $$ to get his first real plane. It's his money but I'd like to keep it under 150 cause we all know he's gonna be buying spare parts

I was thinking the Duet or Night Vapor, but he really likes the 850 Ranger.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My real suggestion is either buy RealFlight instead and learn.

Or see if a local club has a buddy/apprentice program that can teach him properly. I never crashed a plane but had an older friend who taught me the ropes when I was 11. Glad he did.

Flying fixed wing isn't hard, but I still think proper training and technique is beneficial.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
My real suggestion is either buy RealFlight instead and learn.

Or see if a local club has a buddy/apprentice program that can teach him properly. I never crashed a plane but had an older friend who taught me the ropes when I was 11. Glad he did.

Flying fixed wing isn't hard, but I still think proper training and technique is beneficial.
View Quote

My son has had enough of Sims and wants an Rc. I'm certainly not going to talk him out of it. I've looked into clubs. The only one closer than 1.5hrs away requires annual membership. You must also be a member of AMA, to join.  While this may be a great way to go about, I'm not going to commit to that until I know, for sure, it's something he's interested in. I've spent enough on sports, activities, etc, which turned out to return zero interest.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By User55645:

My son has had enough of Sims and wants an Rc. I'm certainly not going to talk him out of it. I've looked into clubs. The only one closer than 1.5hrs away requires annual membership. You must also be a member of AMA, to join.  While this may be a great way to go about, I'm not going to commit to that until I know, for sure, it's something he's interested in. I've spent enough on sports, activities, etc, which turned out to return zero interest.
View Quote

I guess I'm confused. You said he has had enough trainers get the real thing goes into a tree?

AMA memberships are extremely, especially youth, and the knowledge you'll pick up there is worth the price of admission, plus includes insurance in case you have a mishap.

That said, Horizon Hobby has an RTF section. Take a peruse there and see if anything tickles your fancy. Remember larger planes are both more stable and easier to see.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanted to give planes a try too. Started with one of the Rage R/C war birds. The little Mustang. Everything you need for 109.00. Then I went to the UMX Turbo Timber Evolution. It was a bind and fly. Liked that it's on Real Flight too. Both were easy for me to fly but I am going to stay on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:I guess I'm confused. You said he has had enough trainers get the real thing goes into a tree?
View Quote

The tree was me
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By User55645:

The tree was me
View Quote

Lol maybe you need the sim.

Honestly there are a lot of great options. Do get a full four channel setup. The ones that try to oversimplify don't fly well and won't lend themselves to skill advancement.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm biased as a sailplane guy, but the UMX Radian while only three channel (RET) flys very nicely and would be an OK trainer I think.

It's reasonably sturdy, and will handle wind up to about 10mph or so. The stabilization system works very well too, and is easily turned off when you want it off.

It is fairly slow, which makes it easier to fly. I picked up the one I have along with a transmitter for about $100, a new one will run you about $100, you can grab an appropriate Spektrum transmitter for about $40 or so on eBay.

UMX Radian

You can also go down the Flite Test rabbit hole. They are very focused on the yutes and getting them going. I wish they had been around when I was a kid, all we had was balsa, glow engines, and expensive unreliable radios.
Beginner Flite Test

A regulatory thing you should be aware of, models over 250g can only be flown legally (as of mid March) with a stupid transponder in it or at an approved flying site. If you live in the middle of no where, I am jealous, and also you'll probably have no issues. I live in a large city so I have to follow a lot of rules, which means I mostly fly at my AMA club field (actually a sod farm...).

I used to be an advocate of the whole "bigger flies better" thing for beginners, but with the stabilization the UMX birds from Horizon fly very easily, and you can fly them most any place: I fly my UMX Radian at a soccer field a 2" walk from my house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can limit flight times to a near zero wind condition then a UMX sized cub from Horizon Hobbies would be least expensive for the quality.   They can be pretty proud of their stuff once you get in to their transmitters and bigger planes but a RTF kit on a beginner plane isn’t that bad.

My first was a RTF Carbon Cub that has more electronic whizbang feature programming than I recommend.  Overly complicates things.  The Apprentice was the gold standard starter plane for years now its the Aeroscout, a capable pusher.  It’s what our club uses as a trainer now instead of the old Sig Kadet.  

The Aeroscout is a capable but not super fast plane.  You won’t break the prop and has an easy handling tricycle gear.  The front gear is its glass jaw and will get broken. People fix it with a popsicle stick glued in after it breaks.  If one doesn’t land nose gear first or bounce the landing to hit the nose on the second landing it won’t break.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/aeroscout-s-2-1.1m-rtf-basic-with-safe/HBZ380001.html

Personally I’d go with the Apprentice 2.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplanes/by-completion-level/ready-to-fly/

I like the Cessna styling better. . The wing is held on with rubber bands and it prevents hard damage and makes it transportable in the smallest of vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#9]
This is what you seek.  Amazing little airplane that I purchased to train my grandsons on one day.  I as an expert pilot still have fun with it myself.  Can later be hopped up on 4s and it becomes a very capable 3D machine in the right hands.  Very long flight times on a 3s 2200mah battery as well.
HobbyZone Aeroscout.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
This is what you seek.  Amazing little airplane that I purchased to train my grandsons on one day.  I as an expert pilot still have fun with it myself.  Can later be hopped up on 4s and it becomes a very capable 3D machine in the right hands.  Very long flight times on a 3s 2200mah battery as well.
HobbyZone Aeroscout.
View Quote

Listen to this guy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#11]
HobbyZone Aeroscout.
View Quote

I have an Aeroscout, found it in a tree.  Never located the owner, so I fly it myself.  It's pretty easy to fly but the front landing gear doesn't like landing in grass.  I'm thinking of pulling off all the gear and just hand launching and belly landing it.

The little Hobbyzone Champ is stupid easy to fly also, but pretty limited in what you can do with it because it doesn't have ailerons.  No rolls.
Eta, I see the Champ is discontinued now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My $.02.

Bigger planes fly better & are easier to see
and keep perspective on while they are in flight.

This may not be a popular recommendation, but
look at the FMS Super Cub. Very durable and
flys great. It can flown slow & very docile, but
the power system is capable of almost 3D flight.
This kind of plane can help get both of you in
the air, but has enough capability to be fun for
even an advanced flyer.

Mine goes with me to the field, every time.

PM me if you have any other questions about it.

Later!

John

https://www.fmshobby.com/products/fms-1300mm-pa-18-with-reflex-v2?variant=43703417831702

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
HobbyZone Aeroscout.
View Quote

This is a good choice,  one of the neighborhood kids got one from their grandfather,  I test flew it ONCE to make sure it was set up right.  I explained how it worked and watched him do his thing for a few flights,  never had to take back the transmitter and we were doing power off landing to a spot contests on that day,  and he was doing really well.

Buy one with confidence for a complete newb.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the aero scout would be a good one. It's a bit more but I found a deal on a Apprentice S2. Used the beginner mode I think the first time and by the third time I was flying in expert mode doing loops.

I've never touched rc planes in my life until that one.
Link Posted: Today 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered an aero scout. What do I need (glue type etc) for serviceable repairs? I plan on taking off the landing gear and putting some packing tape on the bottom. I may get floats later. I think my field is too rough for wheels.
Link Posted: Today 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
E6000 is a very tough rubbery non brittle glue, it’s everywhere, Lowe’s, Hobby lobby etc. I use this
FoamTac likely going to have to order it online, I use this mostly for repairing aileron or rudder hinges that are molded foam
CA glue, don’t use too much or it can eat some foams. I have used this.
A hot melt glue gun, I have but rarely use this.
White gorilla glue but I have not used it.
Bob Smith’s Foam Glue (Hobby Lobby or online stores). I have used this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top