Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2024 7:35:18 PM EDT
Looking for a good used tuner/amp.
This is for a middle of the road home theater setup. Will be running some old ass Fisher towers with some yet to be named satellite speakers.
Had a Technics unit back in the day, but looking at Denon, Onkyo, Maurentz level units recently.

Obviously don't need super high end 11.1 stuff, maybe 7.1 at most. 100 watts per channel would be fine. Bluetooth would be a huge bonus.

Budget is ~$500

Whatcha recommend?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with Pioneer receivers. But Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Marantz (probably out of your budget) are all good choices as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need a tuner? Or an integrated amp?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
Do you need a tuner? Or an integrated amp?
View Quote

You're probably right,  I don't guess I 'really' need a tuner.

Maybe that part of the question will signify how out of touch I am on the subject!
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You aren't going to buy audio nirvana in that price range but look for a heavily discounted older model. Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, Amazon, etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats why I'm looking in the used department. I am in fact a poor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned over 50 AVRs. Personally, I like the Denon and Yamaha the most. Denon seems to have the cleanest SQ, and best room correction system. While yamaha has the best reliability, fastest phone app remote, and the proprietary room correction is decent.

I'm currently using the following
main system - Denon AVR-x2600h
Bedroom system - Yamaha RX-v683
Home gym system - Yamaha TSR-5790BL

I have the following in storage
Onkyo TX-RZ820 - really good amp, poor room correction
Yamaha RX-Z7 - good all around, limited to 1080p, and only 5 HDMI inputs including front input.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd stay away from Marantz.  Word on the street is they may be having some financial issues.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
McIntosh used to be the bomb.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
It probably doesn't fit your needs, but the Rotel A11 Tribute I got on sale at Crutchfield has been great. Awesome phono preamp, Bluetooth and the amp has really opened up what I listen for in music. I think it was around $600.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Meerkatze:
I'd stay away from Marantz.  Word on the street is they may be having some financial issues.
View Quote

Pretty sure they're owned by Sound United, who also owns Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Meerkatze] [#11]
File this under an essential function of a receiver.

It's called "Initial Volume".   It's a limiter for when your dumbass relatives or friends come over and can't figure out how the thing works, so they crank up the volume knob to MAX and then figure out...oh it might be the source button or some other thing I need to change.

Saves you from blown speakers, deafness, the dog being skittish for the next month and BAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Make sure you have it. Most modern receivers do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
yamaha
denon
pioneer

100 watts per channel at least

dont get caught up in the video
details
modern tv's do just fine on their own

look for something built in the 90's or early 2000's
before everything moved to china
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#13]
My Yamaha I bought in 19 served me well and sounded fantastic.

I found a used audio place here that has all kinds of components. I still have my Kenwood tower speakers from my Army component purchases in the 80s. I found an old Kenwood tuner there to replace my dying marantz. Maybe there is such a place by you. Google maps led me there

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top