Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2024 7:16:29 PM EDT
I have a 24 x 36' climate controlled relatively open shop.

The middle floor area is open  there's a 2 foot wide countertop around the perimeter and one of the 224 foot side walls has a rollup garage door  

I do not have Wi-Fi other than the ability to generate up Wi-Fi hotspot for my cell phone when I happen to be sitting there  

I have an office desk and some chairs out there and kind of hang out in the shop from time to time and thought it would be fun to have a movie projector on a rollup screen

But I am completely oblivious to what type of equipment I would need

I have a laptop that I used to rip my DVD collection and transfer it onto a USB drive for storage as well as watching movies on the TV in the house.

I think I saw an ad for one of those outdoor movie projectors that people take camping and that inspired me to want to consider setting up a more permanent version in my shop

If I actually start using this as a media room or whatever then I could ultimately see me wanting to expand into surroundsound but initially I'm thinking just some basic speakers to get started to see if it's something that I'll even use.

basically I don't really know what I would need to broadcast MP4 videos on to a screen.

I don't think what I want is a big screen television installed in my shop because I'm afraid it would be in the way when I'm not using it

I thought that a rollup type screen hanging from the ceiling would be perfect and the projector could be mounted on a shelf up high so everything would be nice and neat and out-of-the-way when not in use.

I guess my idea of recommendations would be if money were no limit and then maybe separately a budget version just so I can at least understand what's required and what would make a really great set up because I don't know what all is required

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Money no limit:
Sony VPL-XW7000ES projector - $27,998
Elite screens motorized drop down 180" - $1,457
Egglestonworks Ivy speakers (stereo only) - $166,995
Boulder 3050 mono amps (2) - $205,000
Mark Levinson stereo pre-amp - $11,000
Kaleidacaspe digital movie player - $32,985
Budget a few thousand for cables.

Budget:
Check out Amazon and get a projector with speakers and a pull down screen for probably less than $200.  Almost all of them have a USB port and will natively play movies from it.

You can go from a couple hundred to 1/2 mil and probably higher.  When people say "money is no object" they don't realize that some of this pricey stuff actually exists.

What you need to do it clearly define your goals and the limitations of the space.

How big of a screen do you want?  Is there total light control in the room?  Because a $50 projector on a 200" screen in a bright room will not work.
Once the screen is picked out - How bright do you want the picture?  Where will you mount the projector?  That determines what type of projector and lens it will have.
Sound - How big is the space?  Do you want to feel the action movies?

I'm using a Benq GP-500 projector on a 134" screen I built myself.  I built my speakers and subs myself.  I'm powering them with Crown XLS and Behringer EP series pro audio amps.  Not because I want it loud (I do) but because I want clear sound.  If you push the amp to the limit to get the volume you need, then the extra loud stuff like explosions don't sound clear.  I'm using dual 15" subs and will probably add four more.  If I can build and sneak in a refrigerator sized box, then I'll also run my 21" sub.

This is has been my primary hobby for 25 years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wildfowler] [#2]
Thank you for the reply and I'll answer some of the questions below.

I'm glad to know but didn't want to assume that the projectors can play movie files similar to how my TV handles them currently. USB input.

In my mind I was thinking an 8 foot wide screen maybe up to 10 feet wide and whatever height makes the proper wide screen aspect ratio.

There are no windows on the shop and with the exception of a tiny amount of light that may come in through the two wall doors or the rollup door it's black dark even at high noon. I do want to be able to have an action movie well lit and bright.

Yes I do want to be able to feel the sound in action and the space is 24 feet wide by 36 feet long minus a 2 foot cabinet around the perimeter and some upper shelves all the way around.

My thoughts were to initially get up and running with a basic set of left and right speakers to see how much useage I give this but I would like to be able to expand to full surroundsound including overhead speakers assuming this becomes interesting to me. There are plenty of locations to place and mount a variety of different size speakers.

the floor space Is open in the middle room and my thought was to mount the screen on the 36 foot width wall near the middle and mount the projector however far back it needs to be from that and I would be viewing the screen from somewhere in the open space in front of it somewhere I'm guessing that would be about 10 to 20 feet away probably around 16 feet away

i'm not opposed to mounting the screen on the shorter wall in front of the rollup garage door and being able to back farther away from the screen to watch if that's an improvement for some reason?

The space is literally wide-open with the exception of what's built onto the wall around the perimeter.

Since this is all virgin space I can mount the projector anywhere it needs to be mounted by hanging from ceiling iron. I don't think I have to use one of the short throw projectors unless there's a specific advantage they offer.

Regarding the sound itself I have two televisions at home currently an older Samsung approximately 1080 and a newer 4K Samsung when we moved into our new house four years ago

The older Samsung has a sound setting called "clear voice" the new Samsung does not.  

My complaint with the new Samsung is that even with the volume turned up very loudly on the newer TV, the action sounds and the background music overpower the dialogue to the point where I literally cannot hear what they're saying and have to watch it with the subtitles turned on which is annoying  

The older television is in our bedroom and I can watch the exact same movie file with the volume down low on 3 or 4 and hear the dialogue perfectly fine due to the clear voice setting.

So I know if I actually use this movie theater often I would be willing to provide whatever equipment necessary to be able to hear both the dialogue and feel the action sounds.

I'm assuming if I want to add surroundsound speakers and solve the dialogue and action sound simultaneously issue I'll need some sort of stereo receiver. And this is where I am totally lost because I've never had one before. At least not one that's connected to the television or in this case movie projector.

I did add a Samsung sound bar to that newer television that has the dialog issue. I'm sure it's a cheap one because I only paid a couple hundred bucks for it but it did make an improvement because I can control the base and the treble which helps with the dialogue and still adds some dimension to the action sounds which are part of my reasoning behind wanting to expand into the other building with something a little more substantial.

thank you sir.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top