Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2023 10:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daytec113]
Post up pics, tips and secrets. Recipes are welcome.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They’re really good. My SIL went to Georgia a couple years ago and helped teach one of their cooking schools. So I guess I’m a little biased.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered an RT-700 yesterday.  My old Masterbuilt electric smoker died and I can't find the parts for it, so seemed like a good time to upgrade.  Looking forward to playing around with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Maroonfeather:
I just ordered an RT-700 yesterday.  My old Masterbuilt electric smoker died and I can't find the parts for it, so seemed like a good time to upgrade.  Looking forward to playing around with it.
View Quote

You will love it. The only thing I can find wrong whith mine is MY inability to network to my wifi. Other than that its perfect. I really have spent a lot of time trying.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Just put it on , looking at about  9pm. Set 300 degrees
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I need to clean my  grill and it's raining
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 4:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daytec113] [#7]
@Bigtwin Folks I have just invited the most west coast renowned food credit[[sp] to walk the the soft soils of nappa . Be ready.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]

That bitch is brand damnit new ,I can give advice on breaking in and not cleaning .See pics
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m not a pellet cooker fan but I will say if/when I ever decide to try one it would be a recteq.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

4 hours to go
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tango-22:
I’m not a pellet cooker fan but I will say if/when I ever decide to try one it would be a recteq.
View Quote

They are very forgiving
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
I have a Kamado that I have used for years, but nothing beats going to bed at midnight with food on the smoker and sleeping till 8 am with no worries.
View Quote

That don’t take a pellet cooker, i do that with all my charcoal cookers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bryan_Aim] [#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango-22] [#18]

I said that too, and after multiple thermometers, I still never slept well
I still have my Kamado, but trust those pellets more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That doesn’t take a pellet cooker, i do that with all my charcoal cookers.

I said that too, and after multiple thermometers, I still never slept well
I still have my Kamado, but trust those pellets more

Mine has never failed me. I cooked ten 8 pound butts about 6 weeks ago and slept all night.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 10:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#19]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Uncountable amount of cooks on it. Not a single problem. Sits out in Ohio winters. And I hardly ever clean it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my 700.  Got it back around Labor Day and have used it 2-5x a week since then.  It's great to be able to fire it up from the app while I'm on my way home and it is hot and ready to cook on when I walk in the door.  

I still have my Broil King Keg, but it has not been used in months.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I guess "purists" don't highly regard them, but I don't understand why. It completely eliminates the biggest variable in the cook: constant pit temp.

I love my 700.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I need to look at their little ones. Any problems with the pellets being left outside?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#23]

@Brian_Aim came to search for this exactly!  How do you like the sear kit?  Worth it?  Any suggestions, pictures welcomed!

I'm thinking of getting a RecTeq 590 and replacing my grill and WSM.  We almost never use the grill b/c my wife doesnt like grilled food (weirdo) and the WSM is great but the ease of a pellet smoker is VERY appealing.  We do steaks mostly sous vide these days so sear kit would mostly be used for the basics (burgers, hot dogs, veggies, poppers, chicken legs).
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:37:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#24]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

@Brian_Aim came to search for this exactly!  How do you like the sear kit?  Worth it?  Any suggestions, pictures welcomed!

I'm thinking of getting a RecTeq 590 and replacing my grill and WSM.  We almost never use the grill b/c my wife doesnt like grilled food (weirdo) and the WSM is great but the ease of a pellet smoker is VERY appealing.  We do steaks mostly sous vide these days so sear kit would mostly be used for the basics (burgers, hot dogs, veggies, poppers, chicken legs).
View Quote

I have 2 590s and 2 bullseyes.  Sear kit for the 590 is well worth it.  

It does take a while to heat up.  Start the 590, with the steaks on one side and the sear kit on the other to help warm them up.  When your steak hits 110F, pull it off, cover it, and crank the grill up to MAX temp.  It takes a good 10-15mins to get from 200F to 500F.  Once its up there, set a timer on your phone for 90 seconds.  Toss the steak on the sear kit, start the timer.  When your 90 seconds is up, open the lid and rotate like the steak like 80 degrees, restart the timer.  Thats how you get the pretty diamond sear pattern.  Then you do the same on the other side.  You end up doing 90 seconds 4 times, 3mins per side.  While you're searing, it will raise your steak up to the next level.  If you pulled it at 110, after you sear it, it'll be around 120.

I have also flipped the sear kit upside down and used it as a hibachi with some butter to grill shrimp.

RE burgers, i dont waste my time with those.  It takes way too long to cook a burger on the 590.  IMO, no burger on the planet it worth waiting an hour.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

I have 2 590s and 2 bullseyes.  Sear kit for the 590 is well worth it.  

It doesnt take a while to heat up.  Start the 590, with the steaks on one side and the sear kit on the other to help warm them up.  When your steak hits 110F, pull it off, cover it, and clank the grill up to MAX temp.  It takes a good 10-15mins to get from 200F to 500F.  Once its up there, set a timer on your phone for 90 seconds.  Toss the steak on the sear kit, start the timer.  When your 90 seconds is up, open the lid and rotate like the steak like 80 degrees, restart the timer.  Thats how you get the pretty diamond sear pattern.  Then you do the same on the other side.  You end up doing 90 seconds 4 times, 3mins per side.  While you're searing, it will raise your steak up to the next level.  If you pulled it at 110, after you sear it, it'll be around 120.

I have also flipped the sear kit upside down and used it as a hibachi with some butter to grill shrimp.

RE burgers, i dont waste my time with those.  It takes way too long to cook a burger on the 590.  IMO, no burger on the planet it worth waiting an hour.
View Quote

ok thanks for that.  So even with the sear kit and grill at max temp a burger would "grill"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#26]

ok thanks for that.  So even with the sear kit and grill at max temp a burger would "grill"?
View Quote

The 590 and bigger models are too slow to heat up for burgers, in my opinion.  It can be done, but its one of those "juice is not worth the squeeze" situations.

Thats what the bullseye model is for.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]

The 590 and bigger models are too slow to heat up for burgers, in my opinion.  It can be done, but its one of those "juice is not worth the squeeze" situations.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

copy that, thanks.  didnt realize they took that long to come up to temp.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#28]
sort of unrelated note, anyone know if/when recteq has sales?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:55:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#29]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Too easy

I also got the seat kit and the griddle but definitely not a fan… they went in the shed never to be used again. Takes too long I’d rather pull out the grill or griddle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#30]
Take this recipe

https://www.traeger.com/recipes/argentinian-style-beef-short-ribs

But substitute chicken legs, thighs, or breasts (as you prefer) and use oak pellets. (Skip the chimichurri recipe part. I didn’t like that bit.) Smoke em low for about 30 min and then cook em at 375* for 30 min (or however long is needed until cooked). Serve with basmati or jasmine rice. You’re so very welcome.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Just received my 700 and have done chicken breasts and a T-bone on it.  Now I need to do the slow cook smoke stuff, like shreaded beef.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I need to look at their little ones. Any problems with the pellets being left outside?
View Quote

As no one answered: yes. Pellets will absorb water and swell up. If they do that, they can end up jamming up the augur. Thankfully the hopper box on the reqteq seems pretty good at repelling moisture from getting in. Maybe if you lived in a very humid environment it would be a concern, but mine doesn't seem to have an issue. Thankfully the cleanout is easy. My old pellet smoker was a Camp Chef, and cleaning the augur was a fucking nightmare. So much that I wasn't able to get it fully cleaned out and ended up getting a reqteq instead.

They're one of the more expensive pellet smokers out there, really only eclipsed by Yoders, but they're phenomenal units. The CS is great when there's a problem, too.

Pic of my 700 + smokebox shortly after I finished assembling it. It's seen quite a bit of use since then.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
View Quote

Dont let the pellets get wet.  Keeping them in a sealed container of some sort and they should be fine.  I store mine in an outdoor cabinet on the patio and have yet to have any problems but they get used fairly quickly.  

Labor Day sales are going no.  15% off.  I kinda want a Bullseye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top