Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 10:07:44 PM EDT
We put a refrigerator/freezer combo in our garage that’s been there’s about 9 months. We’ve never had an issue with it to date aside from this past week. The GFCI in the circuit that it’s attached to has been tripping the past few days and tripping more frequently. I have it unplugged now, but I’m wondering why all of a sudden this would be happening.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skich] [#1]
You probably need to replace the breaker. That said I don't put refrigerators or freezers on a GFCI.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It was NEVER intended to run a Refrigerator / Freezer off of that GFCI circuit.

In fact, there are warnings because usually the circuit will trip and your warning sign is the stink of your rotting food inside a not cold refridgerator or freezer.

The high amperage at the Compressor Start Up is what usually trips it.

You got lucky it ran this long.   GFCI needs to go away IF you plant to run a refrigerator / freezer off that plug.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#3]
Ideally, you run a 20a dedicated circuit for it, no GFI.

It could be a bad GFCI in your case, but some compressors just trip them randomly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Local idiots that make code mandate all kitchen outlets are GFCI, refrigerator manufacturers say no. One should default to what the manufacturer requires but inspectors often won't pass the electrical inspection unless a GFCI is installed. Install GFCI, get inspected, rip it out and install a traditional one with appropriate rated wiring.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
When I redid my kitchen, I just put the fridge and my little wine fridge on its own circuit, no GFI.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea if it's the same issue but our treadmill used to trip the breaker and this stopped it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Fridges on regular breaker.  I ran about 5 different ice makers on a GFCI and they all worked, right up until the last one.  It popped a few month in.  

Follow what you have heard here. ^^
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a similar problem with my portable generator.

We lost power and I fired it up. The newest fridge in the kitchen kept kicking out the GFCI breaker on the generator. The old fridge that we keep in the garage doesn’t kick out the breaker.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the compressor motor to see if it's wet.  If wet, it will trip the GFCI.  You could have some humidity run off from the evaporators dripping on the motor.  They do make refrigerators for garages (extreme temp spaces).
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing to do with amperage. Everything to do with the motor windings. Motors should not be on GFCI circuits.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I will say that if the start run cap [if it has one] on the compressor is getting weak, it'll put additional strain on the GFCI but it still shouldn't be on one in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Same problem at our old house. Panel was on the outside of the garage wall though so easy fix. No spare breaker slots and I hate doubles so old gfci breaker came out, standard went in, and I ran an extension for the fridge, then doubled back and put a gfci outlet for the rest downstream. Worked great and when we sold the house, I just swapped the gfci breaker and standard outlet back in, hell, I left the new parts in the bottom of the breaker box.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#14]
Friend of mine was selling his house.  The buyer's inspector wanted a GFCI on the basement sewage ejector pump.  I told him it was a bad idea.  He talked to the realtor and realtor told him, "their inspector wants one, put it in".  When it trips and the sewage overflows, it'll be their problem.

Plenty of people have already said it but I'll say it again............ no GFCI on refrigerator and freezer outlets.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Get it off the GFCI.  GFCI was invented by a Darwin Hater as was AFCI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top