Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2024 7:06:00 PM EDT
Can I refuse things that are bequeathed to me in a will without penalty or having to spend any money?  At this time I’ve not signed anything nor have seen anything, but I was told that I’m inheriting some property that will probably cost me more of a headache than it’s worth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Simple statement of refusal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Yes.  Simple statement of refusal.
View Quote

Awesome. The last thing I want is run down property in northern Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TnMike] [#3]
Also, if I refuse, who becomes responsible?
ETA: The contingent is more than likely my wife who sure as hell doesn’t want it. I’d love if the executor would end up with it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I know someone whose father's estate included a worthless piece of land that was left over from a housing development.

They couldn't sell it then when they tried couldn't give it away.

Ended up sort of forcing the city to take it for back taxes just so they could settle the estate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#5]
What property? Why would it be a headache?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like surely some Ohio member here would be glad to take it off your hands.   Unless it's a Superfund site, of course.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, where in northern Ohio? Generally that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top