Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 10:07:44 AM EDT
I was told by a guy that I should install a 2x4 like this all along my fence on the top rail to help reinforce it to hopefully prevent bowing or something.

Would this be worth the $200 in screws and wood to do it?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Why does it require reinforcing?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:
View Quote

Wood warps. I think it helps keep that top board straight. But I'm not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
When I have built wood fences I always install the 2x4 like that.
Take one, prop up one end and stand in the middle and then rotate 90 degrees and repeat, which way is stiffer?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
What is the span between the posts? We split a fence install with a neighbor. We did 6' span. Not 8'.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Wooden fence is going to warp like a motherfucker regardless how you install the stringers unless you live somewhere that the humidity is virtually constant.

No doubt the long side will support a greater load, but there is nothing to say it won't warp in that dimension.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:

Wood warps. I think it helps keep that top board straight. But I'm not 100% sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:

How about the middle and bottom rails? Seems unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]

How about the middle and bottom rails? Seems unnecessary.
View Quote

He said it flexes more at the top.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I always install the top rail as a T, with the top plate horizontal and a vertical 2x4 centered on it. The vertical provides support to secure the tops of the pickets, then that the hardware is covered with a 3/8x1 1/2" ripped piece of cedar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top